Microsoft, I have to think, but cannot!

I've always had a Mac desktop computer since the late 80s early 90s, but my laptop is a Hackintosh. It came with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, and I hate it. But not because it is hard to use, but because apps seem to install themselves and I can't delete them.

For example, something called Reg Pro Cleaner secretly installed itself, probably when I updated something else, and wants me to buy it, which is bad enough in itself. I went to the control panel to uninstall it, but it is nowhere to be found. The program is not found in programs and a search turns up nothing, so it is an invisible file. In the Mac OS it is easy to search out invisible files to delete them, but not Windoze. Apparently I need another program to find and delete Reg Pro Cleaner, or maybe I'm missing something.

I've always had a Mac desktop computer since the late 80s early 90s, but my laptop is a Hackintosh. It came with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, and I hate it. But not because it is hard to use, but because apps seem to install themselves and I can't delete them.

For example, something called Reg Pro Cleaner secretly installed itself, probably when I updated something else, and wants me to buy it, which is bad enough in itself. I went to the control panel to uninstall it, but it is nowhere to be found. The program is not found in programs and a search turns up nothing, so it is an invisible file. In the Mac OS it is easy to search out invisible files to delete them, but not Windoze. Apparently I need another program to find and delete Reg Pro Cleaner, or maybe I'm missing something.
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/regcleanpro-remove-how-to,news-19104.html

A lot of open source software comes with "add ons" which will automatically install if you select standard install as opposed to custom install. In custom install you can unselect the add ons.

Last edited:

MS is not delivering any third party tools. You must watch out when you install freeware and even paid software. They like to lumber the user with useless additional software. It is easy to search for hidden files with Windows. Just learn how to.

I might use W10 some day, but rather than upgrade my current W7 computer, I'll just buy a new comp with W10 pre-installed.

Generally, any OS will work better on a clean install; that is, instead of an upgrade.

What I would recommend is that you do a full backup, install the upgrade (because once you wipe out the hard drive, you won't qualify for a free upgrade anymore), then wipe out the OS and re-install W10 as a clean install.

When you're done, you can load all your files back from the backup drive.

A lot of open source software comes with "add ons" which will automatically install if you select standard install as opposed to custom install. In custom install you can unselect the add ons.
I had seen some add ons when I update Flash and Java, but they had check boxes right out in front where you could choose not to have Chrome installed and made your default browser, but the Reg Pro Cleaner was hidden I guess in the custom menu which I didn't think to check, so I have no idea who installed it.

Btw: It is Reg Pro Cleaner and it is not visible in the programs list.

Last edited:

I had seen some add ons when I update Flash and Java, but they had check boxes right out in front where you could choose not to have Chrome installed and made your default browser, but the Reg Pro Cleaner was hidden I guess in the custom menu which I didn't think to check, so I have no idea who installed it.
Some offerings require you to take an accurate look, for example having the characteristics of a license agreement. You must click decline in that case.

Some offerings require you to take an accurate look, for example having the characteristics of a license agreement. You must click decline in that case.
The problem is removing it in Windowz since it is an invisible program. It is easy on the Mac to find invisible items, but I don't know how to do it in Windowz, and I am now gun shy about using a third party SW to remove it, I would rather make it visible and delete it myself.

As I've posted before, I don't know squat about the techie part of computers.

I upgraded to Win10 and have absolutely no problems with it.

Cortana is a very easy search engine and you can actually indicate which browser you want it to search with. Bing is a good search engine, so that isn't a problem.

I'm not all that thrilled with Edge. Running Win10, I've come to see Firefox, Opera, and Chrome all "running slow". It's been taking me nearly 3 hours to go through my daily RSS feed on any one of those. Feedly won't recognize Edge so I switched to a 64bit developer's version of Firefox which really runs fast - took me only about 1:45 this morning.

Coming to like the Start Menu and Tool Bar. Finding apps and programs easy and the search bar saves a lot of icon clicking and moving.

Following the various tips from Fox and PCWorld have helped me customize it comfortably for me.

My summary is - it's as good as you want it to be! :clap2:

Btw: It is Reg Pro Cleaner and it is not visible in the programs list.
Oops, my mistake.

Try Adwcleaner, from what I've read it should take care of it. The problem with most adware like that it's self perpetuating, it will reload itself every time you boot the system even if you've managed to find and delete some of it's files.
Downloads - AdwCleaner - ToolsLib
Custom install - always.

As I've posted before, I don't know squat about the techie part of computers.

I upgraded to Win10 and have absolutely no problems with it.

Cortana is a very easy search engine and you can actually indicate which browser you want it to search with. Bing is a good search engine, so that isn't a problem.

I'm not all that thrilled with Edge. Running Win10, I've come to see Firefox, Opera, and Chrome all "running slow". It's been taking me nearly 3 hours to go through my daily RSS feed on any one of those. Feedly won't recognize Edge so I switched to a 64bit developer's version of Firefox which really runs fast - took me only about 1:45 this morning.

Coming to like the Start Menu and Tool Bar. Finding apps and programs easy and the search bar saves a lot of icon clicking and moving.

Following the various tips from Fox and PCWorld have helped me customize it comfortably for me.

My summary is - it's as good as you want it to be! :clap2:
No you're not a techie....... Cortana's not a search engine......... it's a virtual assistant, a help application.

The problem is removing it in Windowz since it is an invisible program. It is easy on the Mac to find invisible items, but I don't know how to do it in Windowz, and I am now gun shy about using a third party SW to remove it, I would rather make it visible and delete it myself.
Then go to folder options, view and turn on show hidden files. If that "invisible" tool has a shortcut on the desktop or elsewhere, right-click it and choose go to file location or whatever it is in English.

I upgraded to Windows 10 after just upgrading to Windows 8.1 in February. I liked what Microsoft had done with 8.1. Now, with 10, Microsoft has eliminated many of both parts of 8 and 8.1. I disabled Cortana, the personal assistant. I thought that was a great idea, but I would have to supply too much of my personal information to this "assistant" before it would function. Microsoft wants to know too much about its customers, what they like, and where they surf on the Internet. I don't consider it any of their business. In light of the recent discovery that NSA is spying on us, I'm assuming that Microsoft must be helping NSA. Now, granted, I have nothing to hide, but like medical records, my personal surfing habits are nobody else's business. It's bad enough that you folks know that I frequent this establishment, not that often, though because I don't even have 1000 posts, yet.

Then go to folder options, view and turn on show hidden files. If that "invisible" tool has a shortcut on the desktop or elsewhere, right-click it and choose go to file location or whatever it is in English.
Thanks, I'm still learning where everything is on Windowz, I've been a Mac user for over 25 years but I just got my HP laptop a few months ago and I made it a Hackintosh immediately. On the Mac one of the search options is for visible, invisible or both files. I guessed there had to be a way to see invisible files in Windowz but I hadn't found it before your help.

I find it handy to be able to use the Windowz OS off and on as there are some programs that only work on Windowz and some web sites do not load or function properly on the Mac. But the rest of the time I use the Mac because I am most familiar with it.

When you load Win10 you may find your touch pad, off/on button may not function which causes the pointer to move when brushed To cure that problem go to what used to be the Start button in the lower left corner of the screen. Click on it, got to "Settings" and click on it. On the settings screen click on the "Devices" block with mouse written in it and click. Click "Mouse and touch pad". Go to the bottom of the page and click "Additional mouse settings". Open the "Device" settings (red button) and press "Deactivate and then press Apply". Touch pad will not function. To turn back on, do the same and click activate. Do it a couple times and it is not that difficult. "Settings" is ground zero for most activities you will need or encounter.

Pretty much made up my mind I'm not updating, sticking with Win 7. Disabled the constant update notifications and that will be that.
If it's good enough for you it's good enough for me.

But I always feel that way. I felt that way about Win 95 and 98-SE, I managed to evade millenium, Vista and XP but I ended up being virtually forced to upgrade to 7. I like 7 but I was perfectly content with 98-SE.

Pretty much made up my mind I'm not updating, sticking with Win 7. Disabled the constant update notifications and that will be that.
You don't know what your missing. Windows 10 is by far their best OS ever. Fast, great looking GUI, Cortana is phenomenal, Edge browser is fast and "light". A+++++++ for Windows 10. Cannot imagine going back to 8.1 or 7. It would be a giant step backward
I know what I'm missing, Cortana is an annoyance at best, Edge is nothing more than IE repackaged and I hate the GUI........ I'm fed up with M$, finished with them. From now on it's Hackentosh for me. Sorry but your M$ stocks are gonna have to suffer with the loss on one more user, well probably hundreds of thousands of users........ :eusa_whistle:
ahhh you're an Apple fanboy ;) I use OS X in the office and use Windows 10 at home. I like both OS's but Windows 10 is a much more "exciting" OS than OS X. Couldn't say that before.

I own ZERO stock in MSFT :) but do own some AAPL, so please continue :lol: :lol:

Great testimonial for Microsoft if you're adrenaline junky I guess. "Exciting" is not what American businesses need to host their applications. I realized I wasn't gonna be a fan when that commercial with the cute toddlers came out and bragged about "scribbling all over the internet"..

Microsoft is getting farther and farther away from being a business, engineering or "real work" platform and more like a toy for social media and entertainment. Another reason we're not still outpacing the world on work efficiency and meaningful innovation..

If there IS stock in Linux variants --- Buy Buy Buy...

You don't know what your missing. Windows 10 is by far their best OS ever. Fast, great looking GUI, Cortana is phenomenal, Edge browser is fast and "light". A+++++++ for Windows 10. Cannot imagine going back to 8.1 or 7. It would be a giant step backward
I know what I'm missing, Cortana is an annoyance at best, Edge is nothing more than IE repackaged and I hate the GUI........ I'm fed up with M$, finished with them. From now on it's Hackentosh for me. Sorry but your M$ stocks are gonna have to suffer with the loss on one more user, well probably hundreds of thousands of users........ :eusa_whistle:
ahhh you're an Apple fanboy ;) I use OS X in the office and use Windows 10 at home. I like both OS's but Windows 10 is a much more "exciting" OS than OS X. Couldn't say that before.

I own ZERO stock in MSFT :) but do own some AAPL, so please continue :lol: :lol:

Great testimonial for Microsoft if you're adrenaline junky I guess. "Exciting" is not what American businesses need to host their applications. I realized I wasn't gonna be a fan when that commercial with the cute toddlers came out and bragged about "scribbling all over the internet"..

Microsoft is getting farther and farther away from being a business, engineering or "real work" platform and more like a toy for social media and entertainment. Another reason we're not still outpacing the world on work efficiency and meaningful innovation..

Actually not..along with their Azure cloud based software, Windows 10 Enterprise is a really really powerful and secure package. Windows 10 has really changed things.

Actually not..along with their Azure cloud based software, Windows 10 Enterprise is a really really powerful and secure package. Windows 10 has really changed things.

I would sure HOPE they haven't abandoned what business is looking for.. I'll get in line once I know my $40K investment in biz and design S/W isn't gonna have issues..

Forum List

Back