Microsoft Chrome or Google Edge?

Open Office (Oracle) was given to Apache in 2011 then combined it with Lotus Symphony and has lost market share ever since. In 2016 Apache started looking at discontinuing Open Office, not sure where they are with it now.
Yep... I was an Open Office user for prolly close to 10 years, exactly as you say, it started taking forever to load. I never found a good explanation as to why that happened. The next LinuxMint I installed came with Libre Office instead. I use it on the Linux side and Windows both for several years now.
I pretty much only use LibreOffice Writer and even that's rare nowadays. There's a bunch of open source office suites out there including WordPerfect which was my original office suite and which I thought was long dead. :lol:
Oh and it looks like OpenOffice is still around.
Wordperfect was still the best in my opinion. Word is still horrible and placing art within a document, WP was great at it.
I used WordPerfect and dBase for spreadsheets oh so long ago.
The last version of Office we had was 2007 (Student) for the wife mostly which she continued to use up until last year when she no longer needed it for work. I've been using first OpenOffice then LibreOffice since 2010.

:D
I believe the last version we had was Office 2000.
Before upgrading to 2007 I think the previous version we had was Office 95.

I refused to "upgrade".
I knew it was a cash cow for M$ and was the ONLY reason they did upgrades, and then try and force everyone to upgrade by their own software blocking any newer documents than their own.
And THAT is the reason I went to OpenOffice almost to the day it became available.

I refused to "upgrade".
I knew it was a cash cow for M$ and was the ONLY reason they did upgrades, and then try and force everyone to upgrade by their own software blocking any newer documents than their own.
And THAT is the reason I went to OpenOffice almost to the day it became available.
I didn't discover OpenOffice until I decided to try Ubuntu back after Microsoft introduced Vista which I hated. Bought the wife a desktop that came with Vista, hadn't started building my own yet. Wanted to upgrade from XP but Vista wasn't going to be it so started my journey into Linux. When Unity was released in 2010 I hated it with a passion so switched over to Mint. Discovered Windows 7 a few months later and went back to Windows. It was around the release of Win 8 that I started playing with different Linux distros before finally (just recently) settling back with Mint 19. Obviously I still use Windows for games but that's pretty much it everything else I do is on my Linux machine.

Screenshot-4.png
Screenshot-4.png
I use chrome but Microsoft keeps trying to get me to switch to Edge. A lot of news sites I can't view because of my popup blocker. They need a popup blocker that stops the anti-popup blocking popups telling you that you can't view their sites.

Hello? McFly? Anybody in there?

Google (Chrome) wants to track your every move, it's what they do. Edge is Microsoft's way of copying Google tracking everything you do..yes! It's like that!

Try something else. Oh yeah, and log out of Google if you don't want a bunch of invasive cookies. Also: Clear your cookies.
Well. If you know how to "block elements" you can do shit like getting rid of Mary-onz flag. I know. You don't know how to do that either
Screenshot-4.png

Even my Windows machines, the wife's Win 10 laptop and my Win 7 gamer have LibreOffice. I also wonder how long I'll be able to keep Win 7 before M$ starts fucking with it through final updates making it problematic to use.
I used open office for years, but for some reason it started getting flaky several years ago and taking too long to load. Libre came bundled with LInuxMint so I have used it ever since...it is better than Open Office, or at least better than the last experience i had with it.
Open Office (Oracle) was given to Apache in 2011 then combined it with Lotus Symphony and has lost market share ever since. In 2016 Apache started looking at discontinuing Open Office, not sure where they are with it now.
Yep... I was an Open Office user for prolly close to 10 years, exactly as you say, it started taking forever to load. I never found a good explanation as to why that happened. The next LinuxMint I installed came with Libre Office instead. I use it on the Linux side and Windows both for several years now.
I pretty much only use LibreOffice Writer and even that's rare nowadays. There's a bunch of open source office suites out there including WordPerfect which was my original office suite and which I thought was long dead. :lol:
Oh and it looks like OpenOffice is still around.
Wordperfect was still the best in my opinion. Word is still horrible and placing art within a document, WP was great at it.
I used WordPerfect and dBase for spreadsheets oh so long ago.

I use WP. It is my standard typy type program. I like the older versions better but am on X8 now (i.e the versions that you could load and reload at will instead of being restricted to however many copies.

New Topics

Forum List

Back