Michigan

Nienna

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2005
Ohio
Okay, we've booked a cabin on Lake Superior, in the Munising/ Grand Marais area. Anyone been there? Any good sights to see?

-=d=- said:
I think it'd be awesome if you took a couple hours and drove out to Seattle...you'd be practically there anyway. :D

The Pacific Northwest is definitely on our list. We want save up a few grand and do it right, so we also want to wait until the kids can remember it.

We have returned! We went to the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on Lake Superior. It was absolutely GORGEOUS! The water was so clear, you could see boulders on the lake bottom. This place has something for everyone--- Sandy beaches with waves, even better than the ocean IMO bc you don't have the salt taste or stickiness when you swim. Fabulous woods, untouched by man, just starting the fall color. I especially liked the birch groves. No mountains, but they do have some picturesque hills and cliffs. We took the kids on a 3 mile hike through the woods and beaches to Au Sable Lighthouse. They really enjoyed getting in the waves (even though it was so COLD!) and collecting the agate rocks all along the beaches, tumbled smooth by the water. We went on a glassbottom boat tour and saw some sunken shipwrecks. We want to go back some day. Definitely recommend this place. I wanted to attach some pictures, but don't know how to resize. :(

What is a good pixel height/width for pictures here? I mean, if I resize pic's, what is the maximum pixel size? It's my next Photoshop project! :mm:

mom4 said:
What is a good pixel height/width for pictures here? I mean, if I resize pic's, what is the maximum pixel size? It's my next Photoshop project! :mm:

800x600...and 200kb is fine...I post a number of 1024x768 pics - as more people move to larger monitors 1024x pics don't offend as much as they did 3 or 4 years ago.

:)

www.imagehostingsite.com

:D

Thank you! I am going to TRY to post these pic's (without bothering poor Shattered).

mom4 said:
Thank you! I am going to TRY to post these pic's (without bothering poor Shattered).

Note the file-size limit if you are attaching your images to replies. Hosting off the board (via the

mom4 said:
We have returned! We went to the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on Lake Superior. It was absolutely GORGEOUS! The water was so clear, you could see boulders on the lake bottom. This place has something for everyone--- Sandy beaches with waves, even better than the ocean IMO bc you don't have the salt taste or stickiness when you swim. Fabulous woods, untouched by man, just starting the fall color. I especially liked the birch groves. No mountains, but they do have some picturesque hills and cliffs. We took the kids on a 3 mile hike through the woods and beaches to Au Sable Lighthouse. They really enjoyed getting in the waves (even though it was so COLD!) and collecting the agate rocks all along the beaches, tumbled smooth by the water. We went on a glassbottom boat tour and saw some sunken shipwrecks. We want to go back some day. Definitely recommend this place. I wanted to attach some pictures, but don't know how to resize. :(

These are my childhood stomping grounds. Did you go to Tahquamenon Falls? Marquette is where my parents met. If you ever go back, I'll give you some tips :)

The ClayTaurus said:
These are my childhood stomping grounds. Did you go to Tahquamenon Falls? Marquette is where my parents met. If you ever go back, I'll give you some tips :)
We passed by both the falls and Marquette. We are definitely going back. We were thinking about a romantic getaway to the Keweenaw Peninsula. I found an interesting B&B on the internet, converted from a lighthouse. I have heard that is far enough north that you can see the Northern Lights, if you get lucky.

mom4 said:
We passed by both the falls and Marquette. We are definitely going back. We were thinking about a romantic getaway to the Keweenaw Peninsula. I found an interesting B&B on the internet, converted from a lighthouse. I have heard that is far enough north that you can see the Northern Lights, if you get lucky.
Considering I've seen the Northern Lights on Lake Huron, you can definitely see them anywhere in the UP. The trick is getting away from ambient light as much as possible. They are spectacular. The next time you go, stop by the falls. They don't disappoint. Also, going to Sault Saint Marie is fun, as you can watch the giant 1000 foot ore carriers go through the locks up close.

I don't know how many pic's we are allowed to attach, so I'll just do four.
1) Bow of the Bermuda, a sunken ship between Munising and Grand Island
2) Au Sable Lighthouse (1 1/2 mile hike through the woods)
3) The Kids on the sand dunes of Grand Marais
4) A beach shot

Attachments

• $ResizeBowBermuda.jpg
    $ResizeBowBermuda.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 48
  • $ResizeAuSableLighthouse.jpg
    $ResizeAuSableLighthouse.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 56
  • $ResizeKidsOnDunes.jpg
    $ResizeKidsOnDunes.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 49
  • $ResizeSuperiorBeach.jpg
    $ResizeSuperiorBeach.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 46
The ClayTaurus said:
I would also highly recommend whitefish point.
Yes, we would swing by there on the way. My husband wants to see that museum. There was so much to see. It was all too much for the kids. It's just gorgeous up there.

mom4 said:
I don't know how many pic's we are allowed to attach, so I'll just do four.
1) Bow of the Bermuda, a sunken ship between Munising and Grand Island
2) Au Sable Lighthouse (1 1/2 mile hike through the woods)
3) The Kids on the sand dunes of Grand Marais
4) A beach shot
Memories :)

mom4 said:
Yes, we would swing by there on the way. My husband wants to see that museum. There was so much to see. It was all too much for the kids. It's just gorgeous up there.
I don't know how much of a winter person you are, but snowshoeing in Tahquamenon falls is one of the most beautiful experiences I've had. Cross country skiing and snowmobiling are also top notch up there.

The ClayTaurus said:
I don't know how much of a winter person you are, but snowshoeing in Tahquamenon falls is one of the most beautiful experiences I've had. Cross country skiing and snowmobiling are also top notch up there.
I would love that. I don't know if my husband could take it; the cold aggravates his asthma. Isn't Tahquamenon Falls the place where you can walk behind the waterfall?

mom4 said:
I would love that. I don't know if my husband could take it; the cold aggravates his asthma. Isn't Tahquamenon Falls the place where you can walk behind the waterfall?

I've never done that, although it may be possible. I think you'd have to swim out to it, if I recall. They definitely let you stand under waterfalls. What's cool is that the falls are amber colored, and in the winter, it's beautiful:

Attachments

• $falls.jpg
    $falls.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 54

Forum List

Back