Michigan man falls 9 floors to his death playing hide-and-seek

aaronleland

Diamond Member
May 19, 2012

A 21-year-old man fell to his death playing hide-and-seek inside a long-abandoned warehouse in Detroit, authorities said Wednesday.

Jonathan Mazqai, from Taylor, Michigan, was playing the children's game with two pals before he plunged nine floors down an elevator shaft in the early morning hours of Saturday, police and fire officials said.

They played between midnight and 1:30 a.m. CT (2:30 a.m. ET) before the victim's two friends left because they couldn't find Mazqai, Detroit Deputy Fire Commissioner Dave Fornell told NBC News. They returned more than six hours later that morning and found Mazqai's body, officials said.

The case is still under investigation and Mazqai's friends haven't been arrested or charged with any crime, a police spokeswoman said.

The building on East Ferry Street near St. Aubin Street has been abandoned since 2002 and was last used as a processing plant and cold storage warehouse for Beatrice Foods, according to Fornell.

"The place is big and it's dark with a lot of holes in the floors," Fornell said. "It's a very dangerous place.

My question is... who won? He did die, but it took his friends over six hours to find him. I'm going with he won. The game was forfeit the moment they went home without him.

A 21-year-old man fell to his death playing hide-and-seek inside a long-abandoned warehouse in Detroit, authorities said Wednesday.

Jonathan Mazqai, from Taylor, Michigan, was playing the children's game with two pals before he plunged nine floors down an elevator shaft in the early morning hours of Saturday, police and fire officials said.

They played between midnight and 1:30 a.m. CT (2:30 a.m. ET) before the victim's two friends left because they couldn't find Mazqai, Detroit Deputy Fire Commissioner Dave Fornell told NBC News. They returned more than six hours later that morning and found Mazqai's body, officials said.

The case is still under investigation and Mazqai's friends haven't been arrested or charged with any crime, a police spokeswoman said.

The building on East Ferry Street near St. Aubin Street has been abandoned since 2002 and was last used as a processing plant and cold storage warehouse for Beatrice Foods, according to Fornell.

"The place is big and it's dark with a lot of holes in the floors," Fornell said. "It's a very dangerous place.

My question is... who won? He did die, but it took his friends over six hours to find him. I'm going with he won. The game was forfeit the moment they went home without him.

Darwin

Imagine these poor parents trying to explain their son's death.

"How did your son die?"

"He fell down an elevator shaft while playing hide and seek."

"Aww, that's sad. How old was he?"

"21."

"Oh, fuck him then."

His friends' response when they finally found him:

"Woah, dude. Well played."

I am guessing that he went face first.

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly

P.S. Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but if he had landed on his feet, would he have had a shot at telling about his experience, or would the fall still had been enough to kill him because of how high up he was and how fast his falling was?

Holly

P.S. Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but if he had landed on his feet, would he have had a shot at telling about his experience, or would the fall still had been enough to kill him because of how high up he was and how fast his falling was?

Most likely would have shoved his spine into his brain.

Holly

He probably would have been paralyzed for life, which would have been worse. Then he'd still be alive to explain to people why his dumb ass was paralyzed for life.

Holly

Nope. One story is about 10ft - 14ft so best case scenario he fell 90ft. Probably suffered severe internal injuries.

Interesting.

Vertical trauma: injuries to patients who fall and land on their feet. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:

Forum List

Back