Michelle's Lifestyle of the Rich and Famous

While he was at a meeting at the Waldorf-Astoria at 4 p.m. Wednesday, Michelle Obama called room service and ordered lobster hors d'oeuvres, two whole steamed lobsters, Iranian caviar and champagne

She should have ordered a plastic surgeon.

Do feel free to post your pic, so we can tear that apart as well. Hiding behind the internet while attacking peoples looks is retarded.

So is pretending you think the wealth should be redistributed, while ripping off community funds and ordering lobster for yourself.

So is pretending you think the wealth should be redistributed, while ripping off community funds and ordering lobster for yourself.

When did they say wealth should be redistributed? Oh wait, they didn't. When did they rip off community funds? Oh wait, they didn't. And yeah, they got a lot of money off of writing a book. *gasp* how eeeeeevil of them!

Larkinn Wrote:
they got a lot of money off of writing a book. *gasp* how eeeeeevil of them!

I don't see anyone here calling them evil, Larkinn. My point is simply that I have heard both Michelle and Barack Obama implore the citizens of this country to take jobs in education and social work...jobs that they admit pay far less than becoming a lawyer or engineer...but jobs that they have said are "better for our nation."

I find it interesting when both of them make very nice salaries, apart from their book sales, encourage others to take jobs that will never come close to making what they currently bring in from their jobs. If being poor but helpful is such a great thing...how come neither of them decided to do it? Surely Michelle could take a lesser-paying more community based job...a teacher, social worker, etc. instead of her high paying job? Surely she could keep her job...but give more of her salary to charity? Or back to the hospital so it could continue its good work? If I'm expected to give up a high paying job as an educational lawyer to teach...surely they could lead by example...

Michelle Obama has already told us that Barack will ask us to give things up. Barack has already told us that its possible in his administration that we won't be able to heat or cool our houses to the levels we want...because we have to think about the rest of the world.

Yet they don't seem to be following their own set of rules.

Now, obviously...I don't expect them to quit their jobs and join the Peace Corps to prove their point...in fact, I don't expect them to do anything except whatever they want to do to support their family. If they want to buy a yacht with the advance check for Obama's next biography and sail around the world sucking down oysters and caviar...I have no problem with that.

I do start to worry however...when a politician tells me about how hes going to be asking me to cut back on my lifestyle...when his doesn't seem to be suffering much at all.

Do I think that one lobster snack-fest is indicative of a problem? Not yet. But it does make me wonder...

Please note...I have no problem with their jobs, their salaries, or their lifestyle. But also note...I'm not telling others how to live their lives. The Obamas ARE telling us how to live our lives...they just don't seem to want to follow the guidelines they're setting up for the rest of us.

Larkinn Wrote:

I don't see anyone here calling them evil, Larkinn. My point is simply that I have heard both Michelle and Barack Obama implore the citizens of this country to take jobs in education and social work...jobs that they admit pay far less than becoming a lawyer or engineer...but jobs that they have said are "better for our nation."

I find it interesting when both of them make very nice salaries, apart from their book sales, encourage others to take jobs that will never come close to making what they currently bring in from their jobs. If being poor but helpful is such a great thing...how come neither of them decided to do it? Surely Michelle could take a lesser-paying more community based job...a teacher, social worker, etc. instead of her high paying job? Surely she could keep her job...but give more of her salary to charity? Or back to the hospital so it could continue its good work? If I'm expected to give up a high paying job as an educational lawyer to teach...surely they could lead by example...

Michelle Obama has already told us that Barack will ask us to give things up. Barack has already told us that its possible in his administration that we won't be able to heat or cool our houses to the levels we want...because we have to think about the rest of the world.

Yet they don't seem to be following their own set of rules.

Now, obviously...I don't expect them to quit their jobs and join the Peace Corps to prove their point...in fact, I don't expect them to do anything except whatever they want to do to support their family. If they want to buy a yacht with the advance check for Obama's next biography and sail around the world sucking down oysters and caviar...I have no problem with that.

I do start to worry however...when a politician tells me about how hes going to be asking me to cut back on my lifestyle...when his doesn't seem to be suffering much at all.

Do I think that one lobster snack-fest is indicative of a problem? Not yet. But it does make me wonder...

Please note...I have no problem with their jobs, their salaries, or their lifestyle. But also note...I'm not telling others how to live their lives. The Obamas ARE telling us how to live our lives...they just don't seem to want to follow the guidelines they're setting up for the rest of us.
He is running for President to make a change, that is kind of like social work! And as for heating our houses we do need to cut back on somethings so we can leave our planet not completly destroyed for our Grandchildren.
She bought a lobster dinner, how much did Cindy's dress cost at the RNC?
The Obama's also worked very hard to get where they were at not inheriting any money to help them along the way!

Luissa Wrote:
She bought a lobster dinner, how much did Cindy's dress cost at the RNC?
The Obama's also worked very hard to get where they were at not inheriting any money to help them along the way!

See this is where you miss my point. I don't care about how much Michelle spent on lunch or how much Cindy's dress cost. I don't care whether you respect the way Obama made his money and don't respect the way Cindy McCain made hers.

I don't judge people negatively for choosing to make money. Nor do I choose to think negatively of people for spending the money that they have made.

So bringing up Cindy's dress...its just silly nonsense.

You support Obama's statement that we are all going to need to cut back and make sacrifices....thats great. I, being more cynical, I suppose...get nervous when any political candidate starts talking to me about all the things they are going to ask our nation to go without. I don't think that we are going to "save the environment" by keeping our thermostats at 80 degrees...but I do think that allowing the government to regulate that sort of thing is a really handy way to give the government way too much control over our lives.

Michelle and Barack Obama certainly worked for what they have...I don't think anyone has denied that. But now that they are well-off...they are asking us NOT to get to where they currently are...I find that interesting.

Is it THE REASON I'm not voting for Barack Obama? No...but it is something about his candidacy that I question.

And please read again - it has nothing to do with how much his wife spent on her food - and everything to do with her and her husband asking me and my husband not to do the same...while she continues to enjoy her lifestyle.

When did they say wealth should be redistributed? Oh wait, they didn't. When did they rip off community funds? Oh wait, they didn't. And yeah, they got a lot of money off of writing a book. *gasp* how eeeeeevil of them!

"We need to spread the wealth around".
Obama to Joe.

Luissa Wrote:

See this is where you miss my point. I don't care about how much Michelle spent on lunch or how much Cindy's dress cost. I don't care whether you respect the way Obama made his money and don't respect the way Cindy McCain made hers.

I don't judge people negatively for choosing to make money. Nor do I choose to think negatively of people for spending the money that they have made.

So bringing up Cindy's dress...its just silly nonsense.

You support Obama's statement that we are all going to need to cut back and make sacrifices....thats great. I, being more cynical, I suppose...get nervous when any political candidate starts talking to me about all the things they are going to ask our nation to go without. I don't think that we are going to "save the environment" by keeping our thermostats at 80 degrees...but I do think that allowing the government to regulate that sort of thing is a really handy way to give the government way too much control over our lives.

Michelle and Barack Obama certainly worked for what they have...I don't think anyone has denied that. But now that they are well-off...they are asking us NOT to get to where they currently are...I find that interesting.

Is it THE REASON I'm not voting for Barack Obama? No...but it is something about his candidacy that I question.

And please read again - it has nothing to do with how much his wife spent on her food - and everything to do with her and her husband asking me and my husband not to do the same...while she continues to enjoy her lifestyle.

Exactly. We have no right to question them...but they want to determine how we spend ours.

Maybe they were pointing out people are living beyond their means! Obama can probably afford a lobster dinner while others who can't still buy the lobster dinner. One of the reason why these peoples are losing their homes is because they were living beyond their means. If you and your husband are not, I don't think this applies to you!

Maybe they were pointing out people are living beyond their means! Obama can probably afford a lobster dinner while others who can't still buy the lobster dinner. One of the reason why these peoples are losing their homes is because they were living beyond their means. If you and your husband are not, I don't think this applies to you!

You're either really dumb, or really silly. Obama doesn't tell us to live within our means, he tells us to lower our standards.

Luissa Wrote:

Obama was not talking about living below your means when he encouraged Americans to take "meaningful jobs" over high-paying jobs. He was not encouraging people to live below their means when he stated that Americans can't eat what we want or heat or cool our homes as we see fit because the rest of the world may not approve. He was not talking about the mortgage crisis at all...these comments were made well before that. He was stating that he expects Americans to live differently when he is president...and he had his wife have stated that they will ask us to make these sacrifices and others when he is in the White House.

So while I appreciate your attempt to paint the Obamas comments in the best possible light..in this instance..it just doesn't work. It still seems to me that we should be at least a little concerned that the Obamas expect Americans to make sacrifices, give up wealth, give up material comforts for the "greater good," and there is some concern among some of us that they don't seem to want to follow those guidelines themselves.

Luissa Wrote:

Obama was not talking about living below your means when he encouraged Americans to take "meaningful jobs" over high-paying jobs. He was not encouraging people to live below their means when he stated that Americans can't eat what we want or heat or cool our homes as we see fit because the rest of the world may not approve. He was not talking about the mortgage crisis at all...these comments were made well before that. He was stating that he expects Americans to live differently when he is president...and he had his wife have stated that they will ask us to make these sacrifices and others when he is in the White House.

So while I appreciate your attempt to paint the Obamas comments in the best possible light..in this instance..it just doesn't work. It still seems to me that we should be at least a little concerned that the Obamas expect Americans to make sacrifices, give up wealth, give up material comforts for the "greater good," and there is some concern among some of us that they don't seem to want to follow those guidelines themselves.
Don't you think Obama could have made more money as a lawyer then a senator, or even President especially in Chicago.

Luissa Wrote:
Don't you think Obama could have made more money as a lawyer then a senator, or even President especially in Chicago.

Yes...he probably could have made even more as a professional athlete or a Hollywood actor, lol. It has absolutely no relevance to the conversation whatsoever, of course...but if it makes you happy to imagine all the ways the Obamas could have been richer than they are, go for it.

To save you from having to write another post like your last one, I will also admit that Michelle could make more money as a supermodel or the CEO of a major oil company.

Ummm....Obama IS spending taxpayers money. The money McCain is spending was donated by people when they filed their taxes. The money Obama is spending was donated by during the campaign. There's no difference, except that Obama went back on his word.

i am well aware of the difference in public funds and private funds...seems to me....obama has ever right to raise money from private donators...are they holding guns to people....why should obama limit himself to public funding when he can do so much better in the private sector....after all isnt that the drum conservatives beat...that the private sector should be allowed to do as they wish...only public funding is capped?

Forum List

Back