Michelle Wie shooting for PGA tour history

A

archangel

Fifteen year old Michelle Wie may become the first woman in 60 years to make PGA tour cut...

Kudos to her! :clap1:

http//sports.yahoo.com/golf

archangel said:
Fifteen year old Michelle Wie may become the first woman in 60 years to make PGA tour cut...

Kudos to her! :clap1:

http//sports.yahoo.com/golf

She choked on the back 9 yesterday, making a double bogey on 6 to finish 1 out.

OCA said:
She choked on the back 9 yesterday, making a double bogey on 6 to finish 1 out.

That was a shame..she did not make the cut...maybe next year...the little girl is hellava good though.... :cry:

archangel said:
That was a shame..she did not make the cut...maybe next year...the little girl is hellava good though.... :cry:

In my estimation she will not be good enough for the mens tour. Notice she plays the shorter courses, Hawaii the John Deere.......there is no way she will be able to compete on say an Augusta which is being lengthened again this year to almost 7400 or like a Torrey Pines which hosts the open in a few years which is almost 7600. Just not humanly possible for a woman. I think her best bet is to stick to the LPGA and then try and qualify for some of the select events like the open.

OCA said:
In my estimation she will not be good enough for the mens tour. Notice she plays the shorter courses, Hawaii the John Deere.......there is no way she will be able to compete on say an Augusta which is being lengthened again this year to almost 7400 or like a Torrey Pines which hosts the open in a few years which is almost 7600. Just not humanly possible for a woman. I think her best bet is to stick to the LPGA and then try and qualify for some of the select events like the open.

6 foot 2 and drives 300 yards???---I think she's got a more than fair shot at making the cut in some courses on the tour.

dilloduck said:
6 foot 2 and drives 300 yards???---I think she's got a more than fair shot at making the cut in some courses on the tour.

I knew she could drive...did not know she was 6'2"...sure looks shorter on the bube tube....at any rate ya gotta give her A+++ for effort and talent!

archangel said:
I knew she could drive...did not know she was 6'2"...sure looks shorter on the bube tube....at any rate ya gotta give her A+++ for effort and talent!

I may have the wrong golfer---just realized it---needed to research this more

dilloduck said:

She hits about 1 a round. Hell your average pga player is smoking it 330 now, ON AVERAGE! She averaged 277.1 off the tee in the John Deere, you're talking the difference between a man hitting a wedge and her hitting a 5 iron, the law of averages will catch up sooner or later.

archangel said:

I do think she is 5"11 at least. The fact of the matter is the guys are at times roping it 360+, no matter how good she becomes her physiality(heck is that a word? lol) will limit her. Doesn't look like equipment or the ball will be curtailed anytime soon.

OCA said:
I do think she is 5"11 at least. The fact of the matter is the guys are at times roping it 360+, no matter how good she becomes her physiality(heck is that a word? lol) will limit her. Doesn't look like equipment or the ball will be curtailed anytime soon.

Give the young lass a break...she is a hellava- lot better than me...I'm not great at golf...but it is fun....and she deserves some credit..dont ya think? :coffee3:

OCA said:
She hits about 1 a round. Hell your average pga player is smoking it 330 now, ON AVERAGE! She averaged 277.1 off the tee in the John Deere, you're talking the difference between a man hitting a wedge and her hitting a 5 iron, the law of averages will catch up sooner or later.

The average PGA drive isn't close to 330----the driving leader now is only 317----her 277 puts her right up there with some class players and event winners.
http://www.pgatour.com/stats/leaders/r/2005/101

dilloduck said:
The average PGA drive isn't close to 330----the driving leader now is only 317----her 277 puts her right up there with some class players and event winners.
http://www.pgatour.com/stats/leaders/r/2005/101

Dillo on the tour they use 1 hole a tournament as the official driving distance hole, this doesn't mean that each player will swing for the fences on this hole just for his stats. There are many factors that go into play, many players may lay up off the tee on that hole for a myriad of reasons which will make their average look shorter and therefore the tours.

Watch a tournament on tv 1 day, pay attention to the hole distances then pay attention to the distance the player has left to the hole on his approach shot then minus that from the total distance to get his drive yardage, you'll find that many of the players are driving it 330 and beyond on average with today's new club technology.

I'm not saying that Wie is not 1 helluva player, i'm saying that in the long run she will not be able to compete physically with men, its just the way things are.

OCA said:
Dillo on the tour they use 1 hole a tournament as the official driving distance hole, this doesn't mean that each player will swing for the fences on this hole just for his stats. There are many factors that go into play, many players may lay up off the tee on that hole for a myriad of reasons which will make their average look shorter and therefore the tours.

Watch a tournament on tv 1 day, pay attention to the hole distances then pay attention to the distance the player has left to the hole on his approach shot then minus that from the total distance to get his drive yardage, you'll find that many of the players are driving it 330 and beyond on average with today's new club technology.

But I am still rooting on Michelle...It takes guts and drive to go against the grain...gotta give her that....sigh :beer:

GotZoom said:
We have come a long way from Ben Wright and his little faux pau back in 1995.
I always have and will continue to root for the underdog...just my nature!

archangel said:
OCA said:

But I am still rooting on Michelle...It takes guts and drive to go against the grain...gotta give her that....sigh :beer:

Yes you are correct, but in the end she's just going to be a middle of the pack men's player, whereas on the LPGA I think she could see her full potential. This summer will be interesting, she's qualified for the men's USGA publinx and the U.S. Amateur.

OCA said:
archangel said:
Yes you are correct, but in the end she's just going to be a middle of the pack men's player, whereas on the LPGA I think she could see her full potential. This summer will be interesting, she's qualified for the men's USGA publinx and the U.S. Amateur.

....and 22 yards longer than Corey Pavin's average drive.

She will be the first woman in my lifetime to play in the Masters (if she does not get injured)

Chart: Wie against the field
Click here to find out more!

She's studying Algebra, English, conceptual physics, foundation art and Japanese. She would have been taking exams this week, too, with the rest of the 10th graders at her Honolulu high school.

Instead, Michelle Wie finds herself with a different kind of test as she tees it up on the PGA TOUR in the Sony Open in Hawaii. Wie played in the tournament last year and came one stroke shy of making the cut at the age of 14 despite a 68 in the second round.

Had she been successful, Wie would have joined World Golf Hall of Famer Babe Didrickson Zaharias as only the second woman to make the cut in a PGA TOUR event. Zaharias did it in the 1945 Los Angeles Open, but didn't qualify for the final round after shooting 76.

PGATOUR.COM takes a look at Wie's performance in 2004 with statistics powered by ShotLink.

Wie The Field
Driving Distance (Official Distance Holes) 271.0 279.7
Driving Distance (All Drives) 274.1 279.5
Driving Accuracy 68% 54%
Greens In Regulation 56% 65%
Putts Per Round 27.00 29.78
Average Putt Made 7 ft. 6 in. 4 ft. 9 in.
Par 3 Average 2.88 2.96
Par 4 Average 4.12 4.07
Par 5 Average 4.50 4.40
Average Approach Shot 33 ft. 8 in. 20 ft. 7 in.

Fmr jarhead said:
OCA said:
....and 22 yards longer than Corey Pavin's average drive.

She will be the first woman in my lifetime to play in the Masters (if she does not get injured)

LOL Corey Pavin is on the shortest of the short end, hell I outdrive Corey Pavin.....but man he's got a short game.

In order to get into the Masters she has to win the publinx or win or be runner up in the amateur to get an invitation.

OCA said:
Fmr jarhead said:
LOL Corey Pavin is on the shortest of the short end, hell I outdrive Corey Pavin.....but man he's got a short game.

In order to get into the Masters she has to win the publinx or win or be runner up in the amateur to get an invitation.

She has won the first of 6 matches she needs to win the publinx!

Go girl!

Forum List

Back