Michelle/SEIU’s Child Obesity Initiative

Hello food police!

Maybe they might consider those communal food markets we discussed on another thread. Only offer healthy foods to those on food stamps. (Snarc mark here)

Why not only offer healty food to everyone?

Huh? Anyone can buy healthy food, but in poorer households people tend to eat more carbs and fast foods. Or so I've heard.

Its a problem and I hope Mrs. Obama can save a few chubbies, but I'm with the people here who blame lack of exercise. Some schools in NJ are letting kids "opt out" of phys ed, and if you saw how many kids in my HS that refuse to even dress, you might be shocked. They don't even have to participate to get a grade - just put on a pair of sneakers. Too lazy to even do that. Blows my mind.

Huh? Anyone can buy healthy food, but in poorer households people tend to eat more carbs and fast foods. Or so I've heard.

Its a problem and I hope Mrs. Obama can save a few chubbies, but I'm with the people here who blame lack of exercise. Some schools in NJ are letting kids "opt out" of phys ed, and if you saw how many kids in my HS that refuse to even dress, you might be shocked. They don't even have to participate to get a grade - just put on a pair of sneakers. Too lazy to even do that. Blows my mind.

Poorer households purchase more fattening foods because they're CHEAPER. Hell just yesterday, I paid $3.29 for a head of iceberg lettuce, half of which will go bad.

Yes I know. And that's why free lunches at schools tend to be less healthy. It's more expensive and there's the spoil factor.

I don't think it's lack of education though. Most people know they should eat more fruits and veggies, but they just don't do it.

I pushed my son into high school sports. He's not the greatest athlete, but it's great exercise and also good for the mind. He likes it and is getting better every year.

So she wants to create an army of anorexic and bullemic teens who are pissed at their parents?

Anyway, good luck to her. But i dont think she should get a penny of taxpayer money.

I think she should shave a few pounds off of that ghetto-bootie of hers first before she starts wagging her finger at our kids.

LOL ........ Yeah then maybe she would have some "change" her husband could get behind!

Fat people , and the obesity problem must be taken seriously. I think Michelle Obama is doing a great Job!!

Poorer households purchase more fattening foods because they're CHEAPER. Hell just yesterday, I paid $3.29 for a head of iceberg lettuce, half of which will go bad.

Cheaper cuts of meat, except for fat laden hamburger, are usually healthier than expensive cuts. Cheaper cuts of chicken are even cheaper than cheaper cuts of beef or pork. Iceberg lettuce is a 'token' veggie anyway. Dried beans, peas, lentils, rice, potatoes, and the dark green and yellow veggies are plentiful and generally affordable. (I work with low income families to help them plan menus and shop within their budgets. It isn't easy but you can feed a family of four a healthy diet for not a lot of money.)

But we are on the same page re exercise and probably education. It is not easy to motivate the parents to restrict the kids' television and video game time and spend more time reading or playing outdoors. Too often you're dealing with a single parent who just doesn't have the energy or stamina to put up with the hassle. Our church has built a gymnasium and community center mostly for that very reason and we are convincing parents to encourage their kids to go there after school and weekends. They are getting exposed to some very good habits and new interests as a result.

Last edited:
Today I bought a green pepper for $1.12 and a leek for $1.99. (that's right...I didn't take a leek...I payed for it)

For that money, I could have bought THREE 99-cent cheeseburgers at McDonalds, and had 14-cents left over.

THAT'S where the problem is. Healthy foods are too expensive.

***snicker****

For $3 you could have a satisfying, healthy Cream of Leak Soup.

Today I bought a green pepper for $1.12 and a leek for $1.99. (that's right...I didn't take a leek...I payed for it)

For that money, I could have bought THREE 99-cent cheeseburgers at McDonalds, and had 14-cents left over.

***snicker****

Or, if you're on a really tight budget, you don't buy green peppers and leeks. You buy a small sweet onion and maybe half a cabbage to stew with a potato or two - healthy soup or stew or lunch for several for under $2.00. (It can be enhanced with yesterday's leftover potroast or chicken and whatever veggies the kids didn't eat then.)

Last edited:

***snicker****

Or, if you're on a really tight budget, you don't buy green peppers and leeks. You buy a small sweet onion and maybe half a cabbage to stew with a potato or two - healthy soup or stew or lunch for several for under $2.00. (It can be enhanced with yesterday's leftover potroast or chicken and whatever veggies the kids didn't eat then.)

I recall eating cans of creamed corn laced with tobasco, and then hitting the happyhour buffets to save money in college.

***snicker****

I recall eating cans of creamed corn laced with tobasco, and then hitting the happyhour buffets to save money in college.

Yes, years ago we befriended a guy--Chinese citizenship from Hong Kong but living in France and going to photography school in West Virginia. He refused to eat in American restaurants because he didn't trust the food. :)

He brought a can of corn or beans or some such for his lunches. His breakfast and dinner he prepared himself, generally some sort of soup and rice, but quite meager by American tastes. He was healthy as a horse, and strong with incredible energy and stamina. Just because many Americans can afford to eat fancy/lavishly doesn't necessarily mean they are eating healthy.

Yes, years ago we befriended a guy--Chinese citizenship from Hong Kong but living in France and going to photography school in West Virginia. He refused to eat in American restaurants because he didn't trust the food. :)

He brought a can of corn or beans or some such for his lunches. His breakfast and dinner he prepared himself, generally some sort of soup and rice, but quite meager by American tastes. He was healthy as a horse, and strong with incredible energy and stamina. Just because many Americans can afford to eat fancy/lavishly doesn't necessarily mean they are eating healthy.

Yep, most Asian nations have MUCH lower per capita income than the USA, and not a lot of Fatties.

Yes I know. And that's why free lunches at schools tend to be less healthy. It's more expensive and there's the spoil factor.

I don't think it's lack of education though. Most people know they should eat more fruits and veggies, but they just don't do it.

I pushed my son into high school sports. He's not the greatest athlete, but it's great exercise and also good for the mind. He likes it and is getting better every year.

Eating more fruits and vegetables needs to start very, very early, while children are toddlers. Once they get a taste of how delicious fatty foods are, they will never be satisfied with plain and subtle flavors. Whover discovers a healthy alternative to fat that tastes just as good will literally rule the world.

I dearly love Big Macs and survived on them for lunch practically every day for years. The only reason I stopped eating them is when I realized what might be lurking in those mass-produced patties. But that doesn't mean I still don't get a craving.

Yep, most Asian nations have MUCH lower per capita income than the USA, and not a lot of Fatties.

This guy had plenty of money and could easily afford a much different diet than what he chose. But unless they are among the starving poor, you're right that most Asians tend to eat healthier diets than most Americans.

Forum List

Back