Michelle Obama's American Pie

The Paperboy

Times Square
Aug 26, 2008
Times Square
Bye, bye Miss American Pie drove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry an them good ol' boys were drinkin whiskey and rye singin this will be the day that I die, this will be the day that I die.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GMLeamM7Jkk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GMLeamM7Jkk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Last edited:
A Tangled Story of Addiction
Consequences of Cindy McCain's Drug Abuse Were More Complex Than She Has Portrayed

By Kimberly Kindy
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, September 12, 2008; A01

When Cindy McCain is asked what issues she would champion as first lady, she often cites one of the most difficult periods of her life: her battle with -- and ultimate victory over -- prescription painkillers. Her struggle, she has said repeatedly, taught her valuable lessons about drug abuse that she would pass on to the nation.

"I think it made me a better person as well as a better parent, so I think it would be very important to talk about it and be very upfront about it," McCain said in an interview with "Access Hollywood." In an appearance on the "Tonight Show With Jay Leno," she said she tries "to talk about it as much as possible because I don't want anyone to wind up in the shoes that I did at the time."

In describing her struggle with drugs, McCain has said that she became addicted to Vicodin and Percocet in early 1989 after rupturing two disks and having back surgery. She has said she hid her addiction from her husband, Sen. John McCain, and stopped taking the painkillers in 1992 after her parents confronted her. She has not discussed what kind of treatment she received for her addiction, but she has made clear that she believes she has put her problems behind her.

While McCain's accounts have captured the pain of her addiction, her journey through this personal crisis is a more complicated story than she has described, and it had more consequences for her and those around her than she has acknowledged.

Her misuse of painkillers prompted an investigation by the Drug Enforcement Administration and local prosecutors that put her in legal jeopardy. A doctor with McCain's medical charity who supplied her with prescriptions for the drugs lost his license and never practiced again. The charity, the American Voluntary Medical Team, eventually had to be closed in the wake of the controversy. Her husband was forced to admit publicly that he was absent much of the time she was having problems and was not aware of them.

"So many lives were damaged by this," said Jeanette Johnson, whose husband, John Max Johnson, surrendered his medical license. "A lot of good people. Doctors who volunteered their time. My husband. I cannot begin to tell you how painful it was. We moved far away to start over."

A Tangled Story of Addiction

Cindy's McCain's father was in business with mafia boss Kemper Marley who had reporter Don Bolles blown up in 1976......

Jim Hensley and his brother Eugene went to work after World War II for Kemper Marley, a wealthy wholesale liquor distributor. Marley, in fact, had once been a bookie, getting his start working for the Transamerica Wire Service, a betting service established by mafiosi Gus Greenbaum (who was murdered with his wife when their throats were slashed in bed in 1958). Until 1947, liquor was rationed by the government. Apparently Marley did quite well in spite of the restrictions, and in 1948 the reason why became clear. Eugene and Jim Hensley were convicted of falsifying records on behalf of Marley's distributorship, United Liquor (along with fifty other Marley employees) to conceal the illegal distribution of hundreds of cases of liquor. Jim Hensley got a six month suspended sentence.

In 1953, Jim Hensley, then the General Manager for United Liquor, was once more charged for doing the same thing again. Marley paid for top notch legal representation though (future Supreme Court Chief Justice William Rehnquist.) Hensley still went to prison, but took the fall when the rest of the company was cleared. According to an article in American Mafia.com, Marley rewarded Hensley for his loyalty to the organization:

When Hensley strolled out of the joint, Marley bought his silence with a lucrative Phoenix-based Budweiser beer distributorship.

That distributorship and the rest of Marley's empire did very well over the decades for both Hensley and Marley, making both men multi-millionaires.

In fact, Marley was interested in more than just liquor. In 1976, then Gov. Raul Castro, a Democrat, appointed Marley, then a billionaire and the state's richest man, to the state racing commission.

And that's when one of those pesky investigative reporters got in the way. The reporter's name was Don Bolles and he worked for the Arizona Republic. Bolles discovered a land fraud ring and other crimes that appeared to lead to Sen. Barry Goldwater and other movers and shakers in Arizona. And he discovered that Kemper Marley, newly appointed to the State Board Racing Commission, had connections to the Mafia. In fact, Marley was a close associate of Peter Licavoli, the mob boss for Arizona. Marley had also served as Chairman of the Board for Valley National Bank, which helped bankroll Bugsy Siegel's construction of the Flamingo in Las Vegas. Digging into Marley's past also uncovered his earlier work for Gus Greenbaum. The revelations forced Marley to resign from the commission.

And Kemper Marley and his associates in the Mafia weren't people whose business you interfered with lightly.

On June 2, 1976, Bolles climbed into his car and was blown apart by a bomb under the driver's seat. Pieces of his body were strewn around the parking lot. Bolles amazingly survived for eleven days and said to investgators on the scene, "They finally got me. The Mafia. Emprise. Find John (Harvey) Adamson."

Deep Thought: Married to the Mob.

a grown up would have started a Cindy McCain thread.. :badgrin:

No need.

Cindy McCain was addicted to drugs, and her father was in business with a mob boss who had people killed.

Michelle Obama has never been addicted to drugs, and her father worked for the water company for 30 years.

Michelle worked her way up from a middle class family. Cindy is a mafia princess.

Bye, bye Miss American Pie drove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry an them good ol' boys were drinkin whiskey and rye singin this will be the day that I die, this will be the day that I die.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GMLeamM7Jkk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GMLeamM7Jkk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Wow, everytime I think you can post anything dumber you find away to do it:clap2:

Give me a break, now your reaching cause you know you're losing

No need.

Cindy McCain was addicted to drugs, and her father was in business with a mob boss who had people killed.

Michelle Obama has never been addicted to drugs, and her father worked for the water company for 30 years.

Michelle worked her way up from a middle class family. Cindy is a mafia princess.

Cindy's charitable work is probably unmatched by any potential First Lady in recent memory. It is truly amazing.

As for drug use I'm not sure an Obama supporter would want to have this debate as Obama has written in his book that he was a heavy user of illegal drugs in his later High School years.

No need.

You're fucking pathetic. Cindy McCain came to terms with her addiction AND got help. I commend her for that. If I remember correctly, Barack Obama was on cocaine, AND got help. I commend HIM for that. Which of these two people are running for President - Cindy, or Barack? Which do you point out as having a drug addiction - Cindy, or Barack? See my point?

But, when campaigning for HER husband, Cindy doesn't say stupid bullshit like only being proud of her country because a black man might be President or that Americans are satisfied with having only a little bit and that the rich should give up their wealth to benefit the poor. There's no reason to argue against the statements Michelle made here. We all know Democrats are all about 'Robin Hood'ing this country. Obama is no different.

There are many reasons to be ashamed that you damn nutjob Conservatives can't see through your racist glasses

that's because we don't wear racist glasses, but nice try! That's your answer to everything. Feel free to be ashamed, and I am free to point it out. Thanking you in advance.

There are many reasons to be ashamed that you damn nutjob Conservatives can't see through your racist glasses

Please don't have the nerve to call anyone racist if you support a black liberation theologist like Barack Obama. The man hates white people more than Sarah Palin hates a vacation to Florida.

You're fucking pathetic. Cindy McCain came to terms with her addiction AND got help. I commend her for that. If I remember correctly, Barack Obama was on cocaine, AND got help. I commend HIM for that. Which of these two people are running for President - Cindy, or Barack? Which do you point out as having a drug addiction - Cindy, or Barack? See my point?

But, when campaigning for HER husband, Cindy doesn't say stupid bullshit like only being proud of her country because a black man might be President or that Americans are satisfied with having only a little bit and that the rich should give up their wealth to benefit the poor. There's no reason to argue against the statements Michelle made here. We all know Democrats are all about 'Robin Hood'ing this country. Obama is no different.

Soak the rich.

You think using coke in school makes someone a "cokehead"...

What would you call Bush?

Or aren't right wing coke heads as bad?

What does Bush have to do with anything? I've never liked or supported the guy.

The point is Kirk continues to bring up Cindy's past drug use, which she got help for, but ignores Obama's drug use, which he also got help for. The difference is...Cindy's not actually running for President.

I see you have no response to the fact that Barack Obama was a cokehead.

Like I said... what's your response to baby bush being a cokehead? I thought we're all allowed "youthful indiscretions" (even though Bush's were at 40, but whatever).

As for Chris's stuff... I think that and KD's spam are equally pathetic.

Like I said... what's your response to baby bush being a cokehead? I thought we're all allowed "youthful indiscretions" (even though Bush's were at 40, but whatever).

As for Chris's stuff... I think that and KD's spam are equally pathetic.

There is nothing pathetic about the truth.

Cindy McCain used her father's mob money to fund John's campaigns. That makes it relevant.

I think both Barack and Michelle love their country. I believe they are good people and amazing success stories and with two beautiful children.

But their world view is not my world view as illustrated in Michelle's "pie" theory.

I think it is fair to point this out. They are for redistribution of wealth. I am not. I am for a level playing field. Barack and Michelle are perfect examples of why we do not need redistribution of wealth as they succeeded on their own due in large part in my opinion to having a strong parents and in Obama's case grandparents.

They think government is the soltion. I think government is mostly the problem.

Forum List

Back