Michelle Obama disbarred?

she was NOT disbarred...

she is essentially on a leave of absence.

she still has to pay fees...but reduced fees.

the law, at the time that she took this leave required a court order, to take her name off of the active practicing lawyers in illinois.

Obama's status is retired....he has not had to pay any of the lawyer fees, not even the reduced amount that michelle has had to pay to keep her in this status.

If obama were to become active again, he would have to pay the lawyer dues retroactive, for all the years he claimed to be retired, in order to become an active practicing lawyer again,. in illinois.

these rules and regs are available on the internet, if anyone really wanted to find out! :(

Care

i repeat...

she wasn't disbarred....the law in 1993 required a court order if you basically wanted a leave of absence...
this requirement/law has recently been revised/changed and a court order was required to remove you from the illinois practicing lawyer list....she is still paying fees during this leave, but lesser amt.
if she had chosen the retired status as obama, then she would be able to bypass these fees....but she is essentially on leave, obama is ''retired'' status, no fees, unless he requests to become active, then he would owe BACK FEES for all the years he claimed retired status.
i spent the day researching it....

this is why it states VOLUNTARY and also Court Ordered on michelle, because it took a court order to remove yourself from active...practicing lawyer back in 1993.
this guy explains it better i think....
What Michelle Obama's "court ordered inactive status" as a lawyer means
If you go to the website run by the Attorney Registration and Displinary Commission of the Supreme Court of Illinois and search for the record belonging to Michelle Obama (link, earlier screengrab here), you'll find that her Illinois Registration Status is listed as "Voluntarily inactive and not authorized to practice law - Last Registered Year: 1993" and her Malpractice Insurance status is listed as "No malpractice report required as attorney is on court ordered inactive status" (bolding added).
The last bit has caused quite a stir, however a paralegal with Illinois ARDC has just clarified for me that this is not an indication of wrongdoing. Rather, prior to 2000, attorneys who wanted to become inactive had to seek the permission of the IL Supreme Court, and that's the court order being referred to. Since 2000, no such court order is necessary, but prior to 2000 it was. Further, I'm informed that if there were any sort of disciplinary action taken against her it would be listed on that page.
Note that in the record her maiden name is given (Michelle Lavaughn Robinson) and Barack Obama's record is here, including his full name. His status is listed as "Voluntarily inactive and not authorized to practice law - Last Registered Year: 2008".
What Michelle Obama's "court ordered inactive status" as a lawyer means

excellent research care4. thank you for your well reasoned and researched response. here is the link from the actual Ill. webstite:

Prior to November 1, 1999, former Supreme Court Rule 770 provided for a proceeding in the Court for any voluntary transfer to inactive status, whether because of some incapacitating condition or solely as a matter of the lawyer's preference because the lawyer would not be practicing law.

ARDC* |* Lawyer Registration

however, without more, we have no way of knowing her exact circumstances....

RULE 766 Confidentiality and Privacy

(a) Public Proceedings. Proceedings under Rules 751 through 780 shall be public with the exception of the following matters, which shall be private and confidential:

Rules Governing the Legal Profession and Judiciary in Illinois 766

if she was investigated and the investigation was private and confidential, we'll never know. seems odd she would willingly volunteer for inactive status after such a short time and especially with her star on the rise. there is some rumor that she was involved in some insurance fraud. IMO, anything at this point is speculation and honestly, it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
excellent research care4. thank you for your well reasoned and researched response. here is the link from the actual Ill. webstite:

Prior to November 1, 1999, former Supreme Court Rule 770 provided for a proceeding in the Court for any voluntary transfer to inactive status, whether because of some incapacitating condition or solely as a matter of the lawyer's preference because the lawyer would not be practicing law.

ARDC* |* Lawyer Registration

however, without more, we have no way of knowing her exact circumstances....

RULE 766 Confidentiality and Privacy

(a) Public Proceedings. Proceedings under Rules 751 through 780 shall be public with the exception of the following matters, which shall be private and confidential:

Rules Governing the Legal Profession and Judiciary in Illinois 766

if she was investigated and the investigation was private and confidential, we'll never know. seems odd she would willingly volunteer for inactive status after such a short time and especially with her star on the rise. there is some rumor that she was involved in some insurance fraud. IMO, anything at this point is speculation and honestly, it doesn't really matter.

sheesh! it took me nearly a full DAY to find what i did find...I actuall began the research trying to find out what she did that caused her to be disbarred! hahahaha! I was clueless!

I did see that confidentiality part of the section too, the rule 766, and I wasn't quite certain what that all meant when all said and done and whether for any lawyer, there would be some kind of record stating the malpractice that occurred, whether illegal or unethical.

It appears the lawyer's rules... covers the Lawyer's butt...just as it is with the AMA and doctors who repeatedly commit malpractice....if you look in to it, they continue to get licensed by the AMA and continue to practice, while all their decent counterpart doctors get stuck with high malpractice insurance fees, and they never even committed malpractice, they are paying for the bad doctors that still are allowed to continue to practice...imo. But that's another thread! :D

Care

Forum List

Back