Michael Steele on Southern Strategy

I agree that republicans need to be more inclusive of all people not just blacks.

Well, when your message is one of personal responsibility vs. nothing's your responsibility, it's kinda hard to compete.

I liked Reagan but he opened his campaign in Philadelphia MS, the town in which the movie Mississippi Burning is set. Now, why would a California governor start his campaign in the city best known for killing three student civil rights workers?

I see.

Reagan gave a speech at a county fair in a town that was not the site of the Mississippi murders but was the setting of a 1988 movie based on those events.

Yeah, that's a big problem.

Murders of three civil rights workers

Philadelphia is known as the site of one of the most infamous race-related crimes in American history. Shortly after midnight on June 21, 1964, three civil rights workers were murdered by white supremacists on a highway outside of Philadelphia. The crime and decades-long legal aftermath inspired the 1988 movie Mississippi Burning.
[edit] Ronald Reagan's visit
Main article: Ronald Reagan's speech at the Neshoba County Fair

On August 3, 1980, Ronald Reagan gave his first post-convention speech after being officially chosen as the Republican nominee for President of the United States at the Neshoba County Fair. The speech drew attention for his use of the phrase "states' rights" at a place just a few miles from a town associated with the 1964 murders of civil rights workers. Reagan said, "I believe in states' rights ... I believe we have distorted the balance of our government today by giving powers that were never intended to be given in the Constitution to that federal establishment." He went on to promise to "restore to states and local governments the power that properly belongs to them".[2] The use of the phrase was seen by many as a tacit appeal to Southern white voters and a continuation of Richard Nixon's Southern Strategy, while some argued it merely reflected Reagan's libertarian economic beliefs.

Philadelphia, Mississippi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of all the places to begin his campaign, this is where he chose to start it.

Hilarious, they weren't killed in Philadelphia MS. They were killed by Robert Byrd's Alma Mater, the guy who said "I'll have them ******* voting Democratic for the next 200 years" was President and who also had MLK and Malcolm X whacked...but Reagan was a racist

Laughable, but then again Librul history often is

"...Gregory S. Scarpa Jr. has said that his father, Colombo crime family capo and Top Echelon FBI informant Gregory Scarpa Sr. offered his services in the case to his FBI handler, Anthony Villano. He made a three day trip to Mississippi, where posing as a member of the national Ku Klux Klan himself, he and an FBI helper kidnapped a local appliance salesman and Ku Klux Klan member who was viewed by the FBI as a potential weak link in the case. They took the man to a remote location, tied him to a chair, and interrogated him. The first two times he told the story, the agent and Scarpa believed that the man was lying. On the third try, Scarpa pulled his gun on the suspect. "He said he took a gun and put in the guy's mouth and said: For the last time, where are the bodies or I'll blow your head off", Gregory S. Scarpa Jr. testified. Events similar to Scarpa Jr.'s story are reenacted in the film. The KKK member finally confessed to the location of the bodies, Scarpa Jr. said."

Mississippi Burning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Last edited:
"For the last 40-plus years we had a 'Southern Strategy' that alienated many minority voters by focusing on the white male vote in the South. Well, guess what happened in 1992, folks, 'Bubba' went back home to the Democratic Party and voted for Bill Clinton."

African-Americans not given good reason to vote GOP :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Politics
I've been talking about that for ages.
What do Cons think of their fearless leader pointing it out?

One day blacks will finally realize that all Dems ever gave them was public schools, public housing and LBJ whacked both MLK and Malcolm X.

I liked Reagan but he opened his campaign in Philadelphia MS, the town in which the movie Mississippi Burning is set. Now, why would a California governor start his campaign in the city best known for killing three student civil rights workers?
Why? To get Southern votes, and he did.

Hilarious, they weren't killed in Philadelphia MS. They were killed by Robert Byrd's Alma Mater, the guy who said "I'll have them ******* voting Democratic for the next 200 years" was President and who also had MLK and Malcolm X whacked...but Reagan was a racist

I never said Reagan was a racist. I don't think he was and I don't think most Republicans are.

But the party does sometimes pander to racist elements.

it really cracks me up to see republicans on here denying the existence or the intent of a GOP "Southern Strategy" even after the chairman of their party's national committee admits it.

it really cracks me up to see republicans on here denying the existence or the intent of a GOP "Southern Strategy" even after the chairman of their party's national committee admits it.

Well, Steele is "street wise" so it may take the trailer park gang a while to catch on to his teachings....

Forum List

Back