Michael Steele: LaPierre's Statements "Disturbing"

1236646217949.gif

Aren't you that disgraced dishonorable veteran who lost a bet but are still here?

BTW, 2010 was an off-year election, almost always a boon to the party that is out of power.

:clap2:

Funny I couldn't buy a con's admission to this historical fact in 2010 when all they could do was keep crowing about "turning tides".
But when you're right you're right. And I'll be quoting this post in November 2014.

Actually we call them "mid-terms" :D

Were Bill Buckley alive today, they would be trying to run him out of the party. One smart elitest son of a gun there. Even when I diametrically disagreed with him, he was a fun read.

So, at great expense, you have an armed guard at each and every school in the US. Should only add about $5 per thousand to our property taxes. And the assault weopons continue to be ever so easy to get ones hands on.

What does the crazy do? Simple, he shoots the guard first. Damn, you gun nuts have to be the dumbest of the right wing crazies.

I wonder if Michael can explain Chicago. Better yet Jillian, can you explain Chicago?

how do you explain the fact that there WERE armed guards at columbine?

how'd that work out?
No there weren't. The single cop assigned there, was not there when the shooting started.

Columbine High School cop says armed guards at schools coupled with assault weapons ban would keep students safe - NY Daily News

why wasn't he there if he was assigned there. (this is the first time i heard that, btw...)

i can tell you that my son is horrified by what he's hearing about armed guards at schools. he doesn't live in a war zone.

why would you want to make it one?

So, at great expense, you have an armed guard at each and every school in the US. Should only add about $5 per thousand to our property taxes. And the assault weopons continue to be ever so easy to get ones hands on.

What does the crazy do? Simple, he shoots the guard first. Damn, you gun nuts have to be the dumbest of the right wing crazies.

^^^^

that

my son had a peformance at a school yesterday. we walked in. there was a guard. he was sitting at a desk and texting or playing a game.

what on earth do they think is going to happen?

he had every opportunity to address, not the banning of guns, but how we get them and who can get them.... we should ALL be able to agree on background checks; we should all be able to agree on limiting the size of clips; we should all be able to agree on basic safety education requirements.

THAT is why the NRA statement was "troubling".

blaming video games and movies for violence? but encouraging the wild west?

really?

Last edited:
how do you explain the fact that there WERE armed guards at columbine?

how'd that work out?
No there weren't. The single cop assigned there, was not there when the shooting started.

Columbine High School cop says armed guards at schools coupled with assault weapons ban would keep students safe - NY Daily News

why wasn't he there if he was assigned there. (this is the first time i heard that, btw...)

i can tell you that my son is horrified by what he's hearing about armed guards at schools. he doesn't live in a war zone.

Why are you asking me a stupid question?

I thank god I am left leaning. People on the right are idiots. Thy really are. At least the ones supporting the nra on this.

Last edited:
I thank god I am left leaning. People on the right are idiots. Thy really are. At least the ones supporting the nra on this.
I never really listened to the NRA much before and still don't. But, I support and vote to continue to have armed cops in my school district's schools. Obviously, most in this district do, because that's what we have.

Former RNC Chairman Michael Steele called the National Rifle Association Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre’s press conference Friday “very haunting and very disturbing,” in the wake of the Dec. 14 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
“I don’t even know where to begin. As a supporter of the Second Amendment and a supporter of the NRA — even though I’m not a member of the NRA — I just found it very haunting and very disturbing that our country now is talking about arming our teachers and our principals in classrooms,” Steele said on MSNBC immediately after LaPierre finished his comments.

Read more: Michael Steele: NRA presser was ?disturbing? - Kevin Cirilli - POLITICO.com

It shows that Steele did not actually listen to LaPierre's speech.
LaPierre never said that teachers and Principals should be armed.

^^^^

that

my son had a peformance at a school yesterday. we walked in. there was a guard. he was sitting at a desk and texting or playing a game.

what on earth do they think is going to happen?

he had every opportunity to address, not the banning of guns, but how we get them and who can get them.... we should ALL be able to agree on background checks; we should all be able to agree on limiting the size of clips; we should all be able to agree on basic safety education requirements.

THAT is why the NRA statement was "troubling".

blaming video games and movies for violence? but encouraging the wild west?

really?

Bingo :clap2:
I have a lot of sympathy for LaPierre's point about media violence, video games, etc. I can't believe they don't desensitize us to the realities and repercussions of blowing somebody's head off in real life rather than in pixels. But that evolves into two more points: One, other countries and societies have access to the same video games and movies and don't have a fraction of the carnage we do. Bowling for Columbine made this point as regards Canada, right over our border. I can't believe violent media doesn't still have a deleterious effect on the human psyche, but it's obviously more complex that can be reduced to a single dynamic.

And second, it occurs to me that for all LaPierre's crowing about video games, the biggest most influential proponent of the biggest most violent video game in existence is his NRA itself, with their constant lobbying to make America into a fully armed war zone supplying everything except field maneuver orders. They're no different from the Nintendos (or whoever sells this crap, I'm not a gamer) except that their medium is the Reality Street rather than Fantasy Screen. So looked at that way he's condemning the antics his own organisation as much as, if not more than, the media.

The question for LaPierre (had he even allowed any at a monologue farce that was falsely billed as a press conference) is why the NRA continues to push this Rambo mentality on the public, through PR and through its own lobbying, funded by the gun industry (no conflict of interest there).

In any case since a link between violent media feels right but can't be proven, clearly it's more complicated than the single issue that LaPierre would have us believe as he blames everything but the NRA itself.

This deserves a repeat as well - can't be said strongly enough:

Why indeed, Wayne. Wayne? ..... Waaaaaynne?

::sigh:: Party on, Wayne :disbelief:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back