York Times reported
today.

The film, Fahrenheit 911, explores the Bush family's
close personal and
financial ties to the Saudi royal family, and
describes how the current
Bush administration helped evacuate relatives of Osama
bin Laden from the
United States after the September 11 attacks in 2001.
A Disney executive
told the New York Times that it was blocking the
distribution of the film
in the United States and Canada because, in the
paper's words, "Disney
caters to families of all political stripes and
believes Mr. Moore's
film...could alienate many."

The executive is quoted: "It's not in the interest of
any major
corporation to be dragged into a highly charged
partisan political
battle."

Given that corporations like Disney control much of
the public discussion
in the U.S., this avowed unwillingness to air
controversial viewpoints
that might challenge the views of some customers is
chilling enough. But
Moore's agent, Ari Emanuel, charges that Disney has an
even more
disturbing reason for blocking the film. According to
Emanuel, he had a
conversation last spring with Disney chief executive
Michael Eisner, who
asked him to cancel his deal with Miramax and
"expressed particular
concern that it would endanger tax breaks Disney
receives for its theme
park, hotels and other ventures in Florida, where Mr.
Bush's brother, Jeb,
is governor."

Disney may have another reason, not mentioned by the
Times, to reject a
film that might offend the Saudi royal family: A
powerful member of the
family, Al-Walid bin Talal, owns a major stake in
Eurodisney and has been
instrumental in the past in bailing out the
financially troubled amusement
park (AFP, 6/1/94). The project is facing a new cash
crunch, and Al-Walid
has been mentioned as a potential rescuer again (L.A.
Times, 1/26/04).

Whatever Disney's motivations for not wanting to
release the film, it's
not because there is no audience waiting to see it.
Moore's last film,
Bowling for Columbine, grossed $58 million worldwide.
Unfortunately, when
giant corporations are making the decisions, the fact
that millions of
people might want to see a film doesn't necessarily
mean that they'll be
able to-- if that film might conflict with the
corporation's other
interests.

ACTION: Please contact Disney and urge the company to
allow Miramax to
distribute Fahrenheit 911.

George Mitchell
Chairman
The Walt Disney Company
mailto:[email protected]
Phone: 818-560-1000

Michael Moore is an idiot who abuses the freedoms that he never earned. Once again Disney proves itself a great American institution.

Go Mickey,
Go Mickey,
It's your birthday

Originally posted by sponge

ACTION: Please contact Disney and urge the company to
allow Miramax to
distribute Fahrenheit 911.

Don't waste your time, it all media hype. Something Moore feeds off more than he does even donuts.

NEW YORK (AP) - Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11," which criticizes President Bush's handling of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and connects the Bush family with Osama bin Laden's, won't be released through Miramax Films on orders from parent company Disney.

Moore believes The Walt Disney Co. is worried the documentary will endanger tax breaks the company receives from Florida, where Bush's brother Jeb is governor.

The director says on his Web site that he was told Tuesday that Disney had "officially decided to prohibit our producer, Miramax, from distributing my new film."

But in a statement Wednesday, Disney spokeswoman Zenia Mucha said Moore has known since May 2003 that Miramax would not release his film.

Whenever it was decided, the timing couldn't be better to stir up discussion: "Fahrenheit 9/11" is making its world premiere as one of 18 films screening in competition at the Cannes Film Festival, which begins May 12.

"Heading into Cannes, you've got this whole controversy that people will be talking about - Miramax not being able to release the film. It adds to the mystique of the film, it adds to the danger," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations.

"With a lot of filmmakers, this would not be a good thing," he said. "When it comes to Michael Moore, there's not really a downside to him to have controversy."

The confrontational director won an Oscar for his 2002 documentary "Bowling for Columbine," about the Columbine High School shooting and U.S. gun control policy. The film earned $21.5 million at the box office, making it the highest-grossing documentary ever. He's also known for the 1989 film "Roger & Me," which explored the effects of General Motors on his hometown of Flint, Mich.

Dergarabedian said "Fahrenheit 9/11" will find a distributor, possibly even before Cannes.

Disney chief executive Michael Eisner agreed. "That film will get a distributor easily," he told CNBC in an interview Wednesday from Disneyland.

full story

He has known for a year they werent going to release it? Then what the heck is he trying to pull? Sad thing is alot of liberals are going to fall for it.

Originally posted by Avatar4321
He has known for a year they werent going to release it? Then what the heck is he trying to pull? Sad thing is alot of liberals are going to fall for it.

Yep fall for it all the way to the bank. This hypocritical, sorry-excuse for a human being will call bush a money hungry, evil liar and then turn around and make fake stories to trump up his revenues on his traitorous movies. He'll probably be the first one to claim that Bush is forcing censorship on him when its Disney's own decision image wise and ultimately dollar-wise. He blames America for all the Evils in the world and yet he uses the same capitalist economy to grow rich and fat off of it.

Originally posted by insein
Yep fall for it all the way to the bank. This hypocritical, sorry-excuse for a human being will call bush a money hungry, evil liar and then turn around and make fake stories to trump up his revenues on his traitorous movies. He'll probably be the first one to claim that Bush is forcing censorship on him when its Disney's own decision image wise and ultimately dollar-wise. He blames America for all the Evils in the world and yet he uses the same capitalist economy to grow rich and fat off of it.

You know ive always found it alittle Ironic that Democrats always accuse Republicans of being the party of hicks and white trash and then they produce people like Moore and the Clintons.

You know ive always found it alittle Ironic that Democrats always accuse Republicans of being the party of hicks and white trash and then they produce people like Moore and the Clintons.

I always find it ironic that they say we give tax cuts for the rich when most leading democrats are rich. You'd think that would be a good thing. Of course it could be like Kerry Rich where he draws interest off of Theresea and Theresea only collects it from her inheritance. So no taxes to be paid.

All I can say is...
I want to see this movie.

And it will come out some how.
And heads will roll.;)
Moore's always got the scoop.

I know it will come out. That is why censorship is not in play here. Anyone that says hes being censored is a fucking moron.

I think you'll notice by my tone on this subject that i fucking hate Micahel Moore.

Originally posted by insein
I know it will come out. That is why censorship is not in play here. Anyone that says hes being censored is a fucking moron.

I think you'll notice by my tone on this subject that i fucking hate Micahel Moore.

And I respect your opinion.
I think BFC was a great movie, regardless.
And I'm glad alot of people paid to go see it as an alternative to any other Hollywood flick, many of which are totally mindless garage, unfortunately.

obviously he has several buckets daily.

He says Guns and Violence
and you say...fatass
way to avoid the issue

EDIT: even if he does look like a pint of Ben and Jerries

Originally posted by nycflasher
He says Guns and Violence
and you say...fatass
way to avoid the issue

EDIT: even if he does look like a pint of Ben and Jerries

There are 2 good links in this thread that point out several of Moore's "creative" directing and truth telling in Bowling.

Forum List

Back