Michael Merrifield is dumb

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
Was reading on Foxnews about Catholic 'bosses' making statements that those who do not support Catholocism should NOT receive communion. This includes Democrats who stand with party policy supporting abortion rights, stem-cell research, euthanasia and gay marriage.

Mister Merrifield was quoted:

"I think it is an outrageous intrusion into what is supposed to be the separation of church and state. It is frightening," said Michael Merrifield, a Democratic state lawmaker"

*My emphasis added

(sigh).

I'm running mental acrobatics trying to figure out how to reply to Merrifield's comment.

Church Policy is not bound by the US Constitution in this way. It shouldn't take a High School grad to see that. This is an example of the Church standing up for what it claims to believe. It's a church (albeit weird one) calling its members to be accountable.

People today want rules - but don't want those rules to be enforced - it's as if the curse of the UN Security counsel (making regulations, but not enforcing them) has seeped into mainstream America.

whole story: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,119947,00.html

I agree. its the Catholic Churches decision to call its members accountable. And if they refuse to standards that the Church has established what exactly makes them catholic?

Forum List

Back