Michael Bloomberg disgusting display of power

There is a correlation, yes. That doesn't mean they are causal. "liberal" and "conservative" judges have different judicial philosophies. They are often appointed based on these philosophies. These philosophies cause them to rule one way or another. I'm not quite sure why they think Chevron would cause Republican and Democratic appointees to line up. When you have such a vague term as "reasonable" (which is basically saying "as long as it matches with your intuitions, its ok, otherwise its not",) then judicial philosophies and personal feelings are MORE, not less likely to come into play.

We have very different views on the abilities of the judicial branch to leave political views out of the decision making process. While I have great respect for the legal profession in general, and would love to see the corruption of political influence taken from it's ranks.

The Supreme Court upheld most of Texas's Republican-drafted 2003 congressional redistricting plan yesterday in a ruling that could prompt majority parties in other states to redraw political maps to their advantage.

The endorsement of the plan, which former House majority leader Tom DeLay crafted to tilt Texas's congressional delegation to the GOP, was not absolute. By a vote of 5 to 4, the court ruled that a sprawling West Texas district represented by Henry Bonilla (R) violates the Voting Rights Act because it diluted the voting power of Latinos.

Front of the U.S. Supreme Court building. The Court on Wednesday, June 28, 2006, upheld most of the Texas congressional map engineered by former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay but threw out part, saying some of the new boundaries failed to protect minority voting rights. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta) (Manuel Balce Ceneta - AP)

More on the Story
Texas Redistricting: The case League of United Latin American Citizens et al. v. Rick Perry et al. challenges the 2003 congressional redistricting plan in Texas led by former Rep. Tom DeLay (R). The plan was designed to give Texas's House delegation a Republican majority. Opponents of the plan say it is so partisan that it violates the constitutional guarantee of equal protection.
• High Court to Decide Campaign Finance Cases, The Post, Sept. 28, 2005
• Campaign Finance Cases Weighed, The Post, March 1, 2006

• Special Report: DeLay Indicted

From FindLaw
• Ruling: League of United Latin American Citizens et al. v. Rick Perry et al.

• Appellate Decision (PDF)

• Complaint (PDF): (Sessions, et al. v. Perry, et al.) (Oct. 12, 2003)

• Complaint (PDF): (Jackson, et al. v. Texas, et al.) (Oct. 12, 2003)

• Interactive Map of Texas Districts: (From Texas Legislative Council) (Oct. 12, 2003)

Transcript
Court Upholds Much of Texas Redistricting
University of Pennsylvania Law School Professor Nathaniel Persily discusses the Supreme Court's ruling yesterday in the controversial Texas Congressional redistricting case.

Bench Conference
Andrew Cohen blogs multiple times daily about the latest legal developments and issues.
• Goodbye to All That
• Jose Padilla Finally Catches a Break
• Don't Cry for John Yoo
• More Bench Conference

Who's Blogging?
Read what bloggers are saying about this article.
Red State Diaries
Democracy for New Mexico
New Mexico Politics with Joe Monahan

Full List of Blogs (144 links) »

Most Blogged About Articles
On washingtonpost.com | On the web

Save & Share
Tag This Article

Saving options
1. Save to description:
Headline (required)
Subheadline
Byline

2. Save to notes (255 character max):
Subheadline Blurb None
3. Tag This Article

But seven justices rejected at least part of the opponents' broadest contention: that the entire Texas plan is unconstitutional because the legislature rewrote a previous court-drawn map, three years after the most recent census, out of nothing more than a desire for Republican advantage.

The seven justices gave widely varying reasons for rejecting the constitutional challenge, and the court did not quite say that no such challenge could ever succeed.

But with six justices producing 123 pages of opinions, without any five of them able to agree on how to define an unconstitutional gerrymander, politicians of both parties said that the ruling leaves the door wide open to attempts to copy the DeLay strategy in other states.

"Every redistricting is a partisan political exercise, but this is going to put it at a level we have never seen," said Rep. Rahm Emanuel (Ill.), chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. "That's the gift that the Supreme Court and Tom DeLay have given us."

Justices Affirm GOP Map For Texas

I'm sorry, but I cannot agree to your assesment that the courts do not bring political views into the decision making process. The courts history and this is just the high court is replete with decisions that are based on the appointees political views. That being said, the argurment that the court needs to retain these lifetime appointments to somehow make sure that they remain impartial does not hold sway at least with me it doesn't. Theother arguement that at least IMO that you made is that because laws are somehow ambiguous and require the deft touch of a legal mind that the average lay person would not understand therefor the opinions of the lay person are somehow dismissed when it comes to the courts also does not work. It assumes that the lay person is incapable of critical thinking, while this may be true for some , I can assure you when I make a statement like " legislate from the bench" I do not just spout it off without some well reasoned thought behind it. While, the inner workings of the legal profession of course require a trained legal professional and I don't doubt that for one moment, the fact that a judge is appointed to the bench and is in that profession does not give them immunity from opinions from the lay community.

i didn't bother to read all this other than the diatribe about the poor voters.

correct me if i'm wrong but

ah want the VOTERS have to approve him, that is reelect him?

why are you people against democracy?

My friend lives in New York and said he is actually getting things done there! I don't know how I feel about him doing this but if it isn't broke why fix it!
He also been spending time renovating old parts of New York. My mother worked with office on saving the carrousel at Coney Island which they did save. And really if the people of New York do not like this they will not vote him back in!

Luissa while I respect your opinion and I am sure if the people of New York vote him in then thats that. However, the point is not if Mr. Bloomberg is the greatest thing since sliced bread, the point is that a public official usurped the will of the voters in order to place himself into office for more terms. As I pointed out in an earlier posting, had Mr. Bloomberg had eny ethics and this was an issue then he would have put this up as a ballot measure so that he may ethically run for the office again without supplanting the will of the voters.

Luissa while I respect your opinion and I am sure if the people of New York vote him in then thats that. However, the point is not if Mr. Bloomberg is the greatest thing since sliced bread, the point is that a public official usurped the will of the voters in order to place himself into office for more terms. As I pointed out in an earlier posting, had Mr. Bloomberg had eny ethics and this was an issue then he would have put this up as a ballot measure so that he may ethically run for the office again without supplanting the will of the voters.
I agree with you mostly and in a way they will get to vote for this! If they are mad they will not vote for him. I am to lazy to read the whole thread, do you have any links to where a lot of New Yorker's are mad at this? Just wondering!
FDR did this sort of thing because he felt the people needed him, what that wrong also?Not saying Bloomberg is the same as FDR but I would like to see him run for President, I don't know if I would vote for him but I would like to hear what he would like to add to it all!

i didn't bother to read all this other than the diatribe about the poor voters.

correct me if i'm wrong but

ah want the VOTERS have to approve him, that is reelect him?

why are you people against democracy?

So it does not bother you that in order to be on the ballot Mr. Bloomberg had to violate what the voters of the city of New York had twice voted to put in place? What part of democracy is it when a mayor or for that matter any public official takes it upon themselves to pick and choose what election laws they will or won't follow, and the ones they don't like they just change without asking the voters to change them? The point here is Mr. Bloomberg should not be on the ballot in the first place for people to approve of him prior to the people having a chance to recind the term limit.

So it does not bother you that in order to be on the ballot Mr. Bloomberg had to violate what the voters of the city of New York had twice voted to put in place? What part of democracy is it when a mayor or for that matter any public official takes it upon themselves to pick and choose what election laws they will or won't follow, and the ones they don't like they just change without asking the voters to change them? The point here is Mr. Bloomberg should not be on the ballot in the first place for people to approve of him prior to the people having a chance to recind the term limit.

fair enough it bothers me a little in regards to as you say bloomberg's disregard of public opinion. but politicians do that every day.

overall i just think term limits imply americans aren't smart enough to vote.

We have very different views on the abilities of the judicial branch to leave political views out of the decision making process. While I have great respect for the legal profession in general, and would love to see the corruption of political influence taken from it's ranks.

The Supreme Court upheld most of Texas's Republican-drafted 2003 congressional redistricting plan yesterday in a ruling that could prompt majority parties in other states to redraw political maps to their advantage.

The endorsement of the plan, which former House majority leader Tom DeLay crafted to tilt Texas's congressional delegation to the GOP, was not absolute. By a vote of 5 to 4, the court ruled that a sprawling West Texas district represented by Henry Bonilla (R) violates the Voting Rights Act because it diluted the voting power of Latinos.

Front of the U.S. Supreme Court building. The Court on Wednesday, June 28, 2006, upheld most of the Texas congressional map engineered by former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay but threw out part, saying some of the new boundaries failed to protect minority voting rights. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta) (Manuel Balce Ceneta - AP)

More on the Story
Texas Redistricting: The case League of United Latin American Citizens et al. v. Rick Perry et al. challenges the 2003 congressional redistricting plan in Texas led by former Rep. Tom DeLay (R). The plan was designed to give Texas's House delegation a Republican majority. Opponents of the plan say it is so partisan that it violates the constitutional guarantee of equal protection.
• High Court to Decide Campaign Finance Cases, The Post, Sept. 28, 2005
• Campaign Finance Cases Weighed, The Post, March 1, 2006

• Special Report: DeLay Indicted

From FindLaw
• Ruling: League of United Latin American Citizens et al. v. Rick Perry et al.

• Appellate Decision (PDF)

• Complaint (PDF): (Sessions, et al. v. Perry, et al.) (Oct. 12, 2003)

• Complaint (PDF): (Jackson, et al. v. Texas, et al.) (Oct. 12, 2003)

• Interactive Map of Texas Districts: (From Texas Legislative Council) (Oct. 12, 2003)

Transcript
Court Upholds Much of Texas Redistricting
University of Pennsylvania Law School Professor Nathaniel Persily discusses the Supreme Court's ruling yesterday in the controversial Texas Congressional redistricting case.

Bench Conference
Andrew Cohen blogs multiple times daily about the latest legal developments and issues.
• Goodbye to All That
• Jose Padilla Finally Catches a Break
• Don't Cry for John Yoo
• More Bench Conference

Who's Blogging?
Read what bloggers are saying about this article.
Red State Diaries
Democracy for New Mexico
New Mexico Politics with Joe Monahan

Full List of Blogs (144 links) »

Most Blogged About Articles
On washingtonpost.com | On the web

Save & Share
Tag This Article

Saving options
1. Save to description:
Headline (required)
Subheadline
Byline

2. Save to notes (255 character max):
Subheadline Blurb None
3. Tag This Article

But seven justices rejected at least part of the opponents' broadest contention: that the entire Texas plan is unconstitutional because the legislature rewrote a previous court-drawn map, three years after the most recent census, out of nothing more than a desire for Republican advantage.

The seven justices gave widely varying reasons for rejecting the constitutional challenge, and the court did not quite say that no such challenge could ever succeed.

But with six justices producing 123 pages of opinions, without any five of them able to agree on how to define an unconstitutional gerrymander, politicians of both parties said that the ruling leaves the door wide open to attempts to copy the DeLay strategy in other states.

"Every redistricting is a partisan political exercise, but this is going to put it at a level we have never seen," said Rep. Rahm Emanuel (Ill.), chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. "That's the gift that the Supreme Court and Tom DeLay have given us."

Justices Affirm GOP Map For Texas

I'm sorry, but I cannot agree to your assesment that the courts do not bring political views into the decision making process. The courts history and this is just the high court is replete with decisions that are based on the appointees political views. That being said, the argurment that the court needs to retain these lifetime appointments to somehow make sure that they remain impartial does not hold sway at least with me it doesn't. Theother arguement that at least IMO that you made is that because laws are somehow ambiguous and require the deft touch of a legal mind that the average lay person would not understand therefor the opinions of the lay person are somehow dismissed when it comes to the courts also does not work. It assumes that the lay person is incapable of critical thinking, while this may be true for some , I can assure you when I make a statement like " legislate from the bench" I do not just spout it off without some well reasoned thought behind it. While, the inner workings of the legal profession of course require a trained legal professional and I don't doubt that for one moment, the fact that a judge is appointed to the bench and is in that profession does not give them immunity from opinions from the lay community.
How can I say this in the nicest way possible because I have a lot respect for you! Um I think you are the winner for the longest posts!:eusa_angel:

I agree with you mostly and in a way they will get to vote for this! If they are mad they will not vote for him. I am to lazy to read the whole thread, do you have any links to where a lot of New Yorker's are mad at this? Just wondering!
FDR did this sort of thing because he felt the people needed him, what that wrong also?Not saying Bloomberg is the same as FDR but I would like to see him run for President, I don't know if I would vote for him but I would like to hear what he would like to add to it all!

The Twenty-second Amendment (Amendment XXII) of the United States Constitution sets a term limit for the President of the United States. The United States Congress passed the amendment on March 21, 1947.[1] It was ratified by the requisite number of states on February 26, 1951.

Franklin D. Roosevelt, who served from 1933 to 1945, is the only president elected to more than two terms. Under the 22nd amendment it would be possible for a president to serve two full four-year terms after having assumed the Presidency by means other than election for a duration of up to two years. No president besides Roosevelt has ever served more than eight years

"if some termination to the services of the chief Magistrate be not fixed by the Constitution, or supplied by practice, his office, nominally four years, will in fact become for life" Thomas Jefferson

The term limits for President of the United States was imposed after FDR Luissa. I will check on links for you Lusissa

After Public Advocate Betsy Gotbaum, who presides over the Council, announced the final result at 4:35 p.m., the balcony erupted in shouts of “The city’s for sale!” and “Shame on you!”

Council Votes, 29 to 22, to Extend Term Limits - City Room Blog - NYTimes.com

The Neighborhood Retail Alliance: Advise and Dissent

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/06/nyregion/06limits.html?em

South Shore Republican Councilman Vincent Ignizio has made it clear he would oppose any move to change term limits without a public referendum, while Councilmen James Oddo (R-Mid-Island/Brooklyn) and Michael McMahon (D-North Shore) have not indicated how they would vote.

Bloomberg set to announce run for 3rd term - Staten Island Real-Time News - SILive.com

Here you are Lusissa at least thats a place to start.

How can I say this in the nicest way possible because I have a lot respect for you! Um I think you are the winner for the longest posts!:eusa_angel:

That was totally unintentional as those nice little dots are the pretty pictures that when I was doing my real world stuff I must admit I paid no attention too I was more interested in the article and just did the copy it all thing. lol My apologies to all for the crowded post.

The Twenty-second Amendment (Amendment XXII) of the United States Constitution sets a term limit for the President of the United States. The United States Congress passed the amendment on March 21, 1947.[1] It was ratified by the requisite number of states on February 26, 1951.

Franklin D. Roosevelt, who served from 1933 to 1945, is the only president elected to more than two terms. Under the 22nd amendment it would be possible for a president to serve two full four-year terms after having assumed the Presidency by means other than election for a duration of up to two years. No president besides Roosevelt has ever served more than eight years

"if some termination to the services of the chief Magistrate be not fixed by the Constitution, or supplied by practice, his office, nominally four years, will in fact become for life" Thomas Jefferson

The term limits for President of the United States was imposed after FDR Luissa. I will check on links for you Lusissa

After Public Advocate Betsy Gotbaum, who presides over the Council, announced the final result at 4:35 p.m., the balcony erupted in shouts of “The city’s for sale!” and “Shame on you!”

Council Votes, 29 to 22, to Extend Term Limits - City Room Blog - NYTimes.com

The Neighborhood Retail Alliance: Advise and Dissent

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/06/nyregion/06limits.html?em

South Shore Republican Councilman Vincent Ignizio has made it clear he would oppose any move to change term limits without a public referendum, while Councilmen James Oddo (R-Mid-Island/Brooklyn) and Michael McMahon (D-North Shore) have not indicated how they would vote.

Bloomberg set to announce run for 3rd term - Staten Island Real-Time News - SILive.com

Here you are Lusissa at least thats a place to start.
Thanks! And I knew that about FDR but I thought there had been something in place before but not so permnant! I was wrong! And we will see what the people descide to do with him!

fair enough it bothers me a little in regards to as you say bloomberg's disregard of public opinion. but politicians do that every day.

overall i just think term limits imply americans aren't smart enough to vote.

Honestly, I choose to believe that term limits imply that the people we elect to office are not smart enough to recognize when it's time to step aside. IMHO it is not at all a judgement on the american voter.

That was totally unintentional as those nice little dots are the pretty pictures that when I was doing my real world stuff I must admit I paid no attention too I was more interested in the article and just did the copy it all thing. lol My apologies to all for the crowded post.
Don't worry about it, at least you are not stroking your own ego when you do it and they are always full of useful info!

Forum List

Back