Michael Bloomberg disgusting display of power

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Navy1960, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    It isn’t just that Mr. Bloomberg inched away from a position that he once cast as an inviolable principle. He did a complete 180. We’re talking, of course, about term limits for the mayor and other senior elected officials, including the 51 members of the City Council.

As you know, New York voters twice passed referendums limiting those officials to two consecutive terms. No one benefited more from the plebiscites than Mr. Bloomberg. Without them, we might well still be talking about Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani. So supposedly sacred was the people’s voice to Mr. Bloomberg that he used to proclaim, “We cannot ignore their will,” and certainly not by legislative fiat.

But on Thursday, at Mr. Bloomberg’s bidding, a majority of the Council thumbed its nose at the voters and stretched the limit to a third term. The majority was unusually narrow for a Council vote, 29 to 22, reflecting the emotional, intellectual and political ferment over the issue.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/24/nyregion/24nyc.html

This is a digusting display of usurping the will of the voters and it is EVERYTHING that wrong with this country. The people we elect in this country serve US not the other way around and serve at OUR pleasure. This along with members of congress ignoring the will of the people on the bailout is just one more reason why term limits need to be enforced .

2. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Bloomberg will continue to rewrite the rules to fit him. It is disgusting how he is able to do this.

Great post as always Navy.

3. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    You know Robert, this kind of thing is just all the more reason why people need to hold the people that represent them to a higher standard. What gives Michael Bloomberg the right to suplant the will of the voters. This man should be recalled for this , and I personally don't care if he paved the streets of Time Square with gold, thats not the point.

4. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Well I'm not up to date on NY polls as I don't live there. If he was able to run for a third term, would he win according to the polls?

And I bet Guiliani would end up running again at some point if he could have a third term :lol:

5. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    I can't tell you Robert what the polls are in NYC on his chances. I just shake my head at the crap these people get away with now. Don't like what the voters say, thats okay . go to court or go to the City and get them to tell the voters up yours. I often wonder what would happen if they held an election and every single incumbant was voted out , you think congress would somehow, say can we have a do over? lol I'm getting a little tired of these politicians that have no honor and no respect for the people and the office they hold.

6. elvis

elvis BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,303
    Don't new york mayors have a history of this?

7. Epsilon Delta

Epsilon Delta Jedi Master

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +364
    I've been completely revolted since I read about this a couple of weeks ago. The level of cynicism in this is unbelievable.

New York’s Mayor Bloomberg cites financial crisis in bid for third term

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  8. elvis

elvis BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,303
  9. Epsilon Delta

Epsilon Delta Jedi Master

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +364