Mich. school practices 11 p.m. to 4 a.m.

I said I thought this was a GOOD idea.

You did say this Chanel, I admit:

Good point del. And I do agree that if all are on board, it's a pretty good idea. I'm just skeptical whether similar accomodations would be made for kids of other faiths.

But, my problem is with the second half of your statement.

Of course they would never report that xotoxi. However, it did say the majority of the team is Muslim. One thing that bothered me was that one of the non-Muslim kids said he was also fasting for Ramadan. Hmmmmm.

Again, unnecessary.

Yes but many schools have moved practice to the evening when it's not as hot. This is a first I believe to have it in the middle of the night.

So again Chanel, you say your rational on this but then you make these sort of statements that have no place for someone who thinks this is a good idea.

Al wasn't a QB though, he was a RB.

On the internet, I'm anything I want to be dammit.

waterboy50cl.jpg

It's a better idea than having the kids practice football during a time when they cannot eat or drink.

You mean when some students choose not to eat or drink don't you? Those students who choose to follow that religious tenet should choose between the activities. All the other athletes should not be forced to comply with their religious choices.

Did any of the other athletes protest the decision?

Seems no one protested because they are a winning team. I think this would not have happened if they were just a poor to average team. Typical of a school and the parents to put so much emphasis on a high school football team because they have won state championships.
I agree with a previous post that I don't think they would have been as willing to work around this had it been another religious tenet. If they had done this because of a Christian, Catholic or Jewish faith observance, the ACLU would have been immediately on the school.
The last issue is what about separation of Church and State as this is a government school?

it sounds to me like a bunch of people got together and solved a problem.

if school's not in session, i don't have a problem with it, but i will admit there's a certain irony to a bunch of muslims tossing around the pigskin that amuses me.

go figure

i don't think they use pigskin anymore. ;)

there were real liability issues if the kids became dehydrated from practicing while fasting. and it did solve a problem.

i don't understand why anyone has an issue with this.

No issue as long as schools are allowed to make exceptions for all religions during any school activities.

But they don't accomodate the Christians. so back to my original point.

Again thats a issue for the parents, coach, and kids on the team to work out.

But trust me, none on the team is really complaining. Practicing during the night is much better than being outside in the summer heat.
There you go being inane again. The point is they made a decision based on religion. Well then again muslim is not really a true religion so maybe it doesn't count.

Annnnnnnnnnnnd that's where you blew your cover.

Just another hater against something because it's Muslim.

I will believe you are a full of shit liar until you do.

Now will you admit you were wrong? Honestly, why the hell would I lie about something so trivial as this? Never mind the fact I just graduated from High School less than two years ago, so if anyone would know about which holidays public schools get off it would be me.

Ok, I was wrong and I apologize for calling you a liar.

But I still maintain that is the exception and not the rule. I went to MA public schools over 20 years ago and we never got Good Friday off.

Bull shit.

I was in MA public schools at the same time you were and we got it off.

Every public school I've ever been involved with has spring break either the week before or after Easter. Fail.

prosted once again for those a little slow on the uptake. Here's tip Ravi. There is a whole big world out there that does not revolve in the little corner of the woods you grew up in.

In the United States, the timing of spring break in tertiary institutions may range from the beginning of March to the later part of April, but many schools are in recess for at least one of the weeks in March. Some schools call this "March break" if it occurs in a middle week in March. Other schools call it "spring recess", or "spring recession".[1][2][3] Often, universities schedule spring break such that Saint Patrick's Day falls during the week in order to lessen the amount of partying and drinking on their campuses. Many K–12 institutions in the United States coincide their spring break with Easter and Passover. In New York and Connecticut, most students have spring break in April.

Oh and FAIL :lol:

In Northern Maine, schools are closed for three weeks in the fall for the potato harvest.

Aye.

My family has friends in Island Falls (how's that for some redneck connections BTW) and I remember being wicked jealous that they got all that time off. Looking back I think I would rather stay in school.

as i recall, we always had good friday off. we used to go to world's end and drop acid. that was >20 yrs ago, so maybe it changed

good times
:eek: You mean to say manifold has lied? OMFG!

manifold did not lie. but manifold is enough of a man to admit he was wrong.

since this discussion I've done a little research and found out that many many public schools in MA still have Good Friday off. My home town isn't one of them.

I was fuck'n robbed growing up!! :evil:

Yeah, you were.

I bet your Superintendent was a stickler for snow days too.

Sucks.

The best was when they would send us home early because of the snow.

The only time we had a real snow day was when the state was pretty much shut down because of a massive blizzard. Oh, and one day we were suppose to get a massive amount but it never happened. :lol:

Since Ramadan occurs during the summer (and not during the school year) I think this is a pretty cool idea. It allows the team to remain hydrated and to work during the coolest hours. Really it sounds like the solution was going to have to be something like this, or simply canceling practice for the month of Ramadan. It's an interesting way to think outside the box.

As for the sleep issue, if they are like most teens, they'll go home and sleep until noon without any sort of problem...and now have an excuse to keep their parents from yelling at them for it!

As for accommodations for other religions what would people like? And be reasonable here. This really only works because it's happening during summer break, not during the school year and because the team is "predominantly" Muslim to begin with.

And good on the kid that's fasting with his teammates. It's always good to learn what your friends are going through my walking in their shoes a bit when you can. I don't see it as any different than players that shave their heads (as a sign of solidarity) when a teammate comes down with an illness, like cancer.

I played HS football did you?

I was a conference all star and I did that by following a healthy schedule of exercise and rest.

Have you ever stayed up all night at a physical job? Come 2 or 3 AM it's real tough to concentrate and that's when most injuries occur.

It's one thing to stay up all night sitting around or making out. It's quite another to perform heavy physical exertion where a lapse in technique can get you seriously injured.[/QUOTE]

THAT'S exactly what making out with my girlfriend entails!!!!!!:lol::lol:They are ANIMALS!!!!

it's funny how everyone on the interwebz was an all-star.

i bet you could have been a pro if it weren't for a blown out knee, too.

:rofl:

So you know Tiger too?

it sounds to me like a bunch of people got together and solved a problem.

if school's not in session, i don't have a problem with it, but i will admit there's a certain irony to a bunch of muslims tossing around the pigskin that amuses me.

go figure

i don't think they use pigskin anymore. ;)

there were real liability issues if the kids became dehydrated from practicing while fasting. and it did solve a problem.

i don't understand why anyone has an issue with this.

No issue as long as schools are allowed to make exceptions for all religions during any school activities.

Reasonable accommodation for any religion, yes. I don't necessarily agree with the part about any school activity though. Some of that would have to be determined by when the activity is being held. After all this switch in the practice schedule only works because it's happening during summer break not during the school year. Any accommodation that doesn't have kids missing classes should be considered though.

Forum List

Back