Mich. school practices 11 p.m. to 4 a.m.

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
A Michigan high school football team is holding preseason practices in the middle of the night to help its Muslim players practice both faith and football.

The predominantly Muslim squad from Dearborn says the nocturnal regimen is a way for players to eat and drink while observing the holy month of daytime fasting known as Ramadan that started last week.

The August heat also played a factor in Fordson High coach Fouad Zaban's proposal to reverse the clock for a week of two-a-day practices.

Working it out meant getting the approval of school and district administrators and the blessings of players, parents and police. Then, there were the residents in the surrounding neighborhood, who would hear more noise and see the illuminated field. So he sent letters explaining the decision.

Fordson High School team in Dearborn, Mich., school practicing at night for Ramadan - ESPN

Comments?

For one it's not healthy for teens to be up all night. Hell it's not easy for anyone. I worked 3rd shift for a long time and nothing will screw with your health more than chronic lack of sleep. And anyone who thinks it's easy to sleep all day has obviously never tried it.

I'm willing to bet that injuries on the team will increase and performance will decline. It's up to the muslims to observe their arcane religious practices on their own. We should not be forced to comply.

It's a stupid decision.

Good point del. And I do agree that if all are on board, it's a pretty good idea. I'm just skeptical whether similar accomodations would be made for kids of other faiths.

For one it's not healthy for teens to be up all night. Hell it's not easy for anyone. I worked 3rd shift for a long time and nothing will screw with your health more than chronic lack of sleep. And anyone who thinks it's easy to sleep all day has obviously never tried it.

I'm willing to bet that injuries on the team will increase and performance will decline. It's up to the muslims to observe their arcane religious practices on their own. We should not be forced to comply.

It's a stupid decision.
Been a while since you were a teen, huh?

It's a better idea than having the kids practice football during a time when they cannot eat or drink.

It's a stupid decision.
Been a while since you were a teen, huh?

I played HS football did you?

I was a conference all star and I did that by following a healthy schedule of exercise and rest.

Have you ever stayed up all night at a physical job? Come 2 or 3 AM it's real tough to concentrate and that's when most injuries occur.

It's one thing to stay up all night sitting around or making out. It's quite another to perform heavy physical exertion where a lapse in technique can get you seriously injured.

It's a better idea than having the kids practice football during a time when they cannot eat or drink.

You mean when some students choose not to eat or drink don't you? Those students who choose to follow that religious tenet should choose between the activities. All the other athletes should not be forced to comply with their religious choices.

Last edited:

You mean when some students choose not to eat or drink don't you? Those students who choose to follow that religious tenet should choose between the activities. All the other athletes should not be forced to comply with their religious choices.

Did any of the other athletes protest the decision?

Who cares? The parents should be protesting. I would be.

Who cares? The parents should be protesting. I would be.

I'm sure that you would be.

However, the majority should not have to give into the minority's demands.

Of course they would never report that xotoxi. However, it did say the majority of the team is Muslim. One thing that bothered me was that one of the non-Muslim kids said he was also fasting for Ramadan. Hmmmmm.

It's a stupid decision.

Hi.

I have worked from 10pm to 6am for the last three years now. I sleep just fine.

It's a stupid decision.

Hi.

Shouldn't you be getting to sleep by now?

It's a stupid decision.

Hi.

Are you scheduled to do anything else during the day?

Probably not. How many of those teens have summer jobs or other family obligations that will cut into their sleep. Remember that teens need more sleep than adults; teen athletes especially so.

It's a stupid decision.

Hi.

Shouldn't you be getting to sleep by now?

Haha .... I stay up til 11 or 12 BS'ing with you guys, doing homework, and running errands.

Forum List

Back