Mich. Cops can now steal your cell phone data

TSA searches are legally deemed "administrative searches" and have passed 4th amendment muster.

They have not. No challenge to the new procedures has yet worked its way through the system to the point where an actual ruling has been made. Thanks for posting the propaganda though.

By the way, the ruling about administrative searches does not apply to drug screenings at airports. Can you tell me why the TSA suddenly thinks they have the authority to do that? Is it actually possible that you are wrong?

:lol: Wrong about what ?

Administrative searches.

From your post.

an administrative search, is valid under the Fourth Amendment if it is "no more intrusive or intensive than necessary, in light of current technology, to detect weapons or explosives, confined in good faith to that purpose," and passengers may avoid the search by electing not to fly.

This was not an administrative search, despite the TSA propaganda you linked to.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3sH1GaO_nw]YouTube - 6 Year Old Girl Groped By TSA[/ame]

Administrative searches do not screen for drugs, and the TSA doing so makes that search illegal and unconstitutional.

Your reasonable expectation of privacy does not always apply to your phone. If the police arrest you in California they can treat your phone just like your wallet and search it. Anyone with a smart phone needs to make sure it is password protected, has a good firewall, and that it locks if not in use.

The Cellebrite software, which I deal with weekly in my detctive business, goes right through password, firewall and locks.
That is the software all of the cell companies use when they set up your phone, troubleshoot it and change to another phone when they empty all the contacts etc.
The expectation of privacy is the argument they always use but it is a bogus argument to defenders of liberty. These are not arrests so that theory doesn't apply.

Any software that exist can be blocked. It might not be available yet, but let police start doing this and not only will there be programs available that block the software, there will be malware floating around that totally wipes the devices police use.

QW, Cellebrite is under contract with all of the manufacturers of the phones and all of the cell providers. It is in almost every phone made. Granted, I see some phones that we can not get a damn thing off even with the Cellebrite of other software but it is not because of some block. Amazing that these phone models that may be one model may be made in 20 different countries with differing parts! Every major police department in the country has a detective trained by them or the other few companies that do the same thing. I just worked a case where we had 5 phones and I use a company in Norcross, Ga. that has a retired police detective that was forensically trained in cell phones data extraction. And it is Cellebrite that re-trains him every 6 months as their software changes.

The Cellebrite software, which I deal with weekly in my detctive business, goes right through password, firewall and locks.
That is the software all of the cell companies use when they set up your phone, troubleshoot it and change to another phone when they empty all the contacts etc.
The expectation of privacy is the argument they always use but it is a bogus argument to defenders of liberty. These are not arrests so that theory doesn't apply.

Any software that exist can be blocked. It might not be available yet, but let police start doing this and not only will there be programs available that block the software, there will be malware floating around that totally wipes the devices police use.

QW, Cellebrite is under contract with all of the manufacturers of the phones and all of the cell providers. It is in almost every phone made. Granted, I see some phones that we can not get a damn thing off even with the Cellebrite of other software but it is not because of some block. Amazing that these phone models that may be one model may be made in 20 different countries with differing parts! Every major police department in the country has a detective trained by them or the other few companies that do the same thing. I just worked a case where we had 5 phones and I use a company in Norcross, Ga. that has a retired police detective that was forensically trained in cell phones data extraction. And it is Cellebrite that re-trains him every 6 months as their software changes.

Just off the top of my head, I would guess that it will not work on the Blackberry Obama has now. It can be blocked, and the market will eventually deliver a phone it does not work on, no matter how inconvenient it is for the manufacturer. You can already buy software that encrypts all the data on the phone, effectively making the Cellebrite useless even if it gets into the phone.

Just off the top of my head, I would guess that it will not work on the Blackberry Obama has now. It can be blocked, and the market will eventually deliver a phone it does not work on, no matter how inconvenient it is for the manufacturer. You can already buy software that encrypts all the data on the phone, effectively making the Cellebrite useless even if it gets into the phone.

They do not use cell phones from the tower network that we use. All secure.
But the new I phones can be erased daily and wiped clean.

They do not use cell phones from the tower network that we use. All secure.
But the new I phones can be erased daily and wiped clean.

Who told you that?

They use the same phones, they just add software that makes them secure. The software is available commercially and works on GSM phones. I would venture to guess that the encryption level available commercially is at least as good as the government phones.

I don't know who told you it is possible to wipe an iPhone on a daily basis, but they were probably not talking about actually wiping it. It takes a couple of hours and some third party software that voids the warranty to accomplish a complete wipe. After that you can clear it daily, but it will not happen until you do that because the iPhone has a hidden partition that backs up everything.

They have not. No challenge to the new procedures has yet worked its way through the system to the point where an actual ruling has been made. Thanks for posting the propaganda though.

By the way, the ruling about administrative searches does not apply to drug screenings at airports. Can you tell me why the TSA suddenly thinks they have the authority to do that? Is it actually possible that you are wrong?

:lol: Wrong about what ?

Administrative searches.

From your post.

an administrative search, is valid under the Fourth Amendment if it is "no more intrusive or intensive than necessary, in light of current technology, to detect weapons or explosives, confined in good faith to that purpose," and passengers may avoid the search by electing not to fly.

This was not an administrative search, despite the TSA propaganda you linked to.

Administrative searches do not screen for drugs, and the TSA doing so makes that search illegal and unconstitutional.

:lol: Next time, you might want to read the thread before you take that knee-jerk pounce, huh?

You will see I was responding to Robert's comment about the TSA, AFTER I had already posted that this was NOT the same thing... What I posted are called facts.

But thanks for posting that "groping" vid again, nutjob. :cuckoo:

Also nice of you to take out the link to what I posted after calling it "propaganda". :eusa_liar:

Funny how they ignore the Brown shirts of the TSA thou...

TSA searches are legally deemed "administrative searches" and have passed 4th amendment muster.

Even prior to the passage of ATSA and the Federalization of the screening work force, Federal courts upheld warrantless searches of carry-on luggage at airports. Courts characterize the routine administrative search conducted at a security checkpoint as a warrantless search, subject to the reasonableness requirements of the Fourth Amendment. Such a warrantless search, also known as an administrative search, is valid under the Fourth Amendment if it is "no more intrusive or intensive than necessary, in light of current technology, to detect weapons or explosives, confined in good faith to that purpose," and passengers may avoid the search by electing not to fly. [See United States v. Davis, 482 F.2d 893, 908 (9th Cir. 1973)].

While the searches at the airport will be conducted by private screening companies, such searches will continue to be subject to the Fourth Amendment requirements of reasonableness because they are conducted at the instigation of the federal Government and under the authority of federal statutes and regulations governing air passenger screening.

TSA: Frequently Asked Questions - Program

Last edited:
What ever happened to the 4th ammendment?
At the time of the ratification of the 4th, cell phones did not exist.
The Founders could not have conceived of such things.
As such, the protections afforded by 4th amendment do not apply to cell phones.

That is completely stupid.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Look at that, sell phones are covered.

Forum List

Back