Miami Dolphin's Ryan Tannehill

Two points that still rub me the wrong way growing up with the Dolphins. Griese got the most of the credit for that perfect season, when in fact it was Earl Morall who played the lion share of the schedule. Sad but I couldn't even find him in your '72 team photo.

The second point is that Marino was talented but not a great quarterback. Marino had Clayton and Duper, two excellent receivers, that helped create the stats that Marino enjoyed. Marino was credited with a quick release, but many of his passes were "hospital" or inaccurate, requiring the receiver to make a significant readjustment. Clayton and Duper would bend over backwards for Marino and took an ungodly amount of punishment in doing so. The quick release wasn't about avoiding the sack, it was that Marino wanted a long career and avoiding contact was the way to do it. After Clayton and Duper left, Marino's stats were never quite so good.

Guys like Montana were great quarterbacks, willing to give the receiver time to get open even though it meant taking a hit. Doing whatever was needed for the team to win. Marino never did and also never won a Superbowl.

That said, I wish Tannehill all the best with the Dolphins.

Two points that still rub me the wrong way growing up with the Dolphins. Griese got the most of the credit for that perfect season, when in fact it was Earl Morall who played the lion share of the schedule. Sad but I couldn't even find him in your '72 team photo.
You not finding Earl Morall got me to thinking so I checked again. The pic is of the 1971 team and not the 1972 team, my mistake. Your right about Morall not getting the credit, he should have at least started the Super Bowl for his efforts.

The second factor is that Marino was skilled but not an excellent qb. Marino had Clayton and Duper, two fantastic devices, that assisted create the statistics that Marino experienced. Marino was acknowledged with a fast launch, but many of his goes were "hospital" or incorrect, demanding the device to create a considerable readjustment.....

Forum List

Back