Mi teen attacks bus driver

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
KALAMAZOO, Mich. (AP) - A Kalamazoo teenager who pleaded no contest to assaulting a substitute school bus driver has been made a court ward and will be treated at a residential psychiatric facility for an undetermined length of time.

Kalamazoo County Circuit Judge Stephen Gorsalitz issued the decision Tuesday following the teen's no-contest plea on April 3 to a juvenile charge of assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder.

Video from the school bus showed the teen striking the 37-year-old female driver 18 times within 25 seconds as she drove on March 3.

She was taking students to school at the county juvenile home and the Kalamazoo Regional Educational Services Agency's Valley Center School for students with emotional or behavioral problems.
Mich. teen who attacked bus driver sentenced - WLNS TV 6 Lansing Jackson Michigan News and Weather - WLNS.COM |

I've seen the video, and my question is this: Why the hell isn't this punk, who had a violent history, charged as an adult? his kid WILL grow u to commit a felony assault or murder- the prosecutor is helping ensure that by teaching him that his brings no real punishment

Have you no COMPASSION? Obama plans to nominate a Supreme Court Justice that uses Compassion in making decisions. This is gonna get worse not better.

The law decided not by what it says but how the Judge FEELS it should work.

I've seen the video, and my question is this: Why the hell isn't this punk, who had a violent history, charged as an adult? his kid WILL grow u to commit a felony assault or murder- the prosecutor is helping ensure that by teaching him that his brings no real punishment

How old is the teenager? Do you know?

I'm not a huge fan of trying juveniles as adults. It just doesn't work very well for anyone involved, and it's a band-aid on a larger problem of dealing with violent young offenders. Adult facilities are generally not set up to handle juveniles, and it leads to significant risks to everyone involved, including other inmates. Believe it or not, having worked with the prison system, the 16-18 year olds tried as adults are very difficult to supervise, and pose a risk to inmates 50+.

I will say that I think that we need to look into developing young adult jails for ages 16 to 24, and that these facilities should focus on educational issues, mental health issues, substance use issues, and cognitive restructuring.

Unlike previous generations, we have a large number of very poorly socialized young adults in this age group that are responsible for the majority of crime in most communities, and many of them are also gang-involved, which leads to other issues in supervision of confinement.

Last edited:
It's obvious the kid is nuts and needs mental help.

People are quite resistant to the concept of mental illness and treating it. We may as well be in the Stone Age.

Mental illness is a difficult concept for most to grasp. Without experiencing it first hand, either personally or through someone who may be close, it is difficult to understand how someone could be that messed up. I have the same issue as I've never known anyone to be truly mentally ill.

My biggest concern is that some of these people may be untreatable. I don't know if that is true or not, but based on the fact that some of these people never seem to be cured, I would say that is a fair assessment. While the state may see to it that someone with a mental illness will receive treatment, for how long is the state willing to pay for such treatment before the individual seeps through the cracks and is out on the streets again, ready to commit another crime due to their illness?

No answers here, just observations.

As a sufferer of mental illness in more ways than one, I don't think it's a "cure" that should be researched but a way to teach these youths how to live in society. I think catzmeow has a very good idea. I think that would reduce repeat offenders, drug abuse, and ease prison over population. I know from my interest in drug laws that treatment has a larger effect than punishment. I'm definitely not proclaiming that all criminal youths should receive treatment instead of going to prison, but it should be one of the options.

• Banned
It's obvious the kid is nuts and needs mental help.
Which he can get while being kept away from his potential victims

Adult facilities are generally not set up to handle juveniles, and it leads to significant risks to everyone involved, including other inmates.
There are Minors wards

Believe it or not, having worked with the prison system, the 16-18 year olds tried as adults are very difficult to supervise, and pose a risk to inmates 50+.
Depends on what level they are. If they go after an Elder w/out justification, they get a Green Light on their punk ass and end up PCing up

It's good to befriend the Heads and Elders on the yard. They'll tell ya how to keep from gettin' yourself in a wreck ;)
I will say that I think that we need to look into developing young adult jails for ages 16 to 24, and that these facilities should focus on educational issues, mental health issues, substance use issues, and cognitive restructuring.
I concur.

Unlike previous generations, we have a large number of very poorly socialized young adults in this age group that are responsible for the majority of crime in most communities, and many of them are also gang-involved, which leads to other issues in supervision of confinement.

Because the last generation can't raise children because they're a bunch of no-good fucking hippies

I just watched the video and witnessed a future murderer beat someone up.
Can you put up a link? I couldn't find it online (saw it on the news)

Which he can get while being kept away from his potential victims

Actually, these types of services are much more limited and difficult to access in the adult system.

I generally think that trying individuals at this age as adults is poorly advised.

There are Minors wards

Wrong. In most states, young offenders go into general population.

Depends on what level they are. If they go after an Elder w/out justification, they get a Green Light on their punk ass and end up PCing up

You've been watching too much television.

It's good to befriend the Heads and Elders on the yard. They'll tell ya how to keep from gettin' yourself in a wreck ;)

See above.

Because the last generation can't raise children because they're a bunch of no-good fucking hippies

I like blaming the babyboomers, myself.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXCmCqj4E9Q[/ame]

It was a violent and vicious attack!

At least the mother said she cared for the bus driver and said she didn't condone her son's actions. Too many times parents look to others rather than their children and make excuses! I feel for this mother, having a bipolar child must be very tough!

KALAMAZOO, Mich. (AP) - A Kalamazoo teenager who pleaded no contest to assaulting a substitute school bus driver has been made a court ward and will be treated at a residential psychiatric facility for an undetermined length of time.

Kalamazoo County Circuit Judge Stephen Gorsalitz issued the decision Tuesday following the teen's no-contest plea on April 3 to a juvenile charge of assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder.

Video from the school bus showed the teen striking the 37-year-old female driver 18 times within 25 seconds as she drove on March 3.

She was taking students to school at the county juvenile home and the Kalamazoo Regional Educational Services Agency's Valley Center School for students with emotional or behavioral problems.
Mich. teen who attacked bus driver sentenced - WLNS TV 6 Lansing Jackson Michigan News and Weather - WLNS.COM |

The kid is bipolar and NO history of crime in his past, including violent crimes. Not to mention is also a minor. Should be held accountable for his crime NO DOUBT, but sometimes mistakes happen when you are young and immature and you grow out of them.

Can you really not tell me that you make didn't make mistakes as a teen, in which you should be punished essentially for the rest of your life. Shit I remember getting in fights as a teen for little more than a cross-eyed steer!

The kid is bipolar and NO history of crime in his past, including violent crimes. Not to mention is also a minor. Should be held accountable for his crime NO DOUBT, but sometimes mistakes happen when you are young and immature and you grow out of them.

Can you really not tell me that you make didn't make mistakes as a teen, in which you should be punished essentially for the rest of your life. Shit I remember getting in fights as a teen for little more than a cross-eyed steer!

with your bus driver?

[/QUOTE]
I believe, but don't quote me on this that he was 15

I'm not a huge fan of trying juveniles as adults.
I agree, unless its for murder, because the finality of murder should be treated differently

I just watched the video and witnessed a future murderer beat someone up.

Future murde?r Possibly! Present murderer? NO!

You can't convict someone on something he has done yet. This is the "Pre-crime Sector!"

He should be held accountable, but I believe holding this child as an adult for the non-capital crime is clear cut violation of the 8th amendment!

Actually, these types of services are much more limited and difficult to access in the adult system.

Not always. Improvement is needed, but it's doable

Wrong. In most states, young offenders go into general population.
18+, yes. Under 18, no

You've been watching too much television.

HAHA!! You know jack shit

See above.

Again, you know jack shit about the system

The kid is bipolar

Doesn't excuse violence

and NO history of crime in his past, including violent crimes.
history of violence and of threats against the driver

You didn't attack a woman. This wasn't a fight, it was an attack on a woman who got a broken jaw, extensive bruising, and other injuries

I'm just glad it was not some white kid beating up a black woman, that would have been a hate crime.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
This kid isnt insane, he just has that agressive ghetto mentality which seems to be really popular these days with young black teens. Try him as an adult, send him to prison where he will get raped, and let his downfall serve as a lesson to every one of his friends and schoolmates.

This kid isnt insane, he just has that agressive ghetto mentality which seems to be really popular these days with young black teens. Try him as an adult, send him to prison where he will get raped, and let his downfall serve as a lesson to every one of his friends and schoolmates.

He is bipolar? That is a REAL disorder.

Go to jail and get raped! That is your punishment for this attack? :confused: That is extreme. A more likely scenario is he goes to jail, receives no counseling or help and then comes out 10 fold more angry and dangerous! Good move. Like jails are crowded enough and now you want kids put into jail. Sounds like a good move to me.

Should be answer for his crimes? Without a doubt, but not for the rest of his life!

The only time I think a child should be charged as an adult is in a homcide (or possibly attempt homicide) case, because of the finality of the actions!

Forum List

Back