Mi, have to work 29 hours a week to get Medicaid.

LANSING, MI - The Michigan Senate on Thursday passed legislation requiring able-bodied Michigan Medicaid recipients to work 29 hours per week to continue receiving health insurance.

Michigan expanded Medicaid in 2013 with the Healthy Michigan program, which now insures 683,769 people, according to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.

Senate Bill 897, sponsored by Sen. Mike Shirkey, R-Clark Lake, would require able-bodied Medicaid recipients to work 29 hours per week in order to continue receiving Medicaid. People would be exempt from the requirements if they met certain criteria, like being over 64, having a disability, being pregnant, or being a caretaker for a dependent with a disability or family member under the age of six.

Bill requiring Michiganders to work for Medicaid clears Senate
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What if they can't find a job, we do not have an over abundance of jobs in MI. Isn't that what Walmart does, hire part time so they don't have to pay for health ins.

No healthcare if not:

Prohibit a recipient from receiving medical assistance for one year if he or she failed to meet qualifying activities or report family income or knowingly made a false statement in complying with that requirement, after being given one warning and not complying within 30 days.

This is so the elites do not have to pay taxes. Well if you are frail or disabled , pg you do not need to. Crap I hope people can find work.

That is just plain wrong.
Yes, but that's how republicans see healthcare. If you can't get healthcare coverage then just die.

In most countries with developed economies, people do not have to die because they lack healthcare coverage. Unfortunately, the US is not one of them anymore. Changes in Obamacare regulations have cut premiums by eliminating coverage for life saving treatments and added yearly maximums.

Who dies because they lack health care coverage?

A heck of a lot of people have shortened life's due to no health care. ER is not , I repeat, health care.

Neither is Obama care. Who the heck can afford 6 grand deductibles a year on top of sky high premiums ?

LANSING, MI - The Michigan Senate on Thursday passed legislation requiring able-bodied Michigan Medicaid recipients to work 29 hours per week to continue receiving health insurance.

Michigan expanded Medicaid in 2013 with the Healthy Michigan program, which now insures 683,769 people, according to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.

Senate Bill 897, sponsored by Sen. Mike Shirkey, R-Clark Lake, would require able-bodied Medicaid recipients to work 29 hours per week in order to continue receiving Medicaid. People would be exempt from the requirements if they met certain criteria, like being over 64, having a disability, being pregnant, or being a caretaker for a dependent with a disability or family member under the age of six.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What if they can't find a job, we do not have an over abundance of jobs in MI. Isn't that what Walmart does, hire part time so they don't have to pay for health ins.

No healthcare if not:

This is so the elites do not have to pay taxes. Well if you are frail or disabled , pg you do not need to. Crap I hope people can find work.

That is just plain wrong.
Yes, but that's how republicans see healthcare. If you can't get healthcare coverage then just die.

In most countries with developed economies, people do not have to die because they lack healthcare coverage. Unfortunately, the US is not one of them anymore. Changes in Obamacare regulations have cut premiums by eliminating coverage for life saving treatments and added yearly maximums.

Who dies because they lack health care coverage?

A heck of a lot of people have shortened life's due to no health care. ER is not , I repeat, health care.

Neither is Obama care. Who the heck can afford 6 grand deductibles a year on top of sky high premiums ?
Sure is a good thing we are all saving $2500 per year on our health insurance like Obama promised us. Otherwise those massive deductibles would be a real problem.

No healthcare if not:

Prohibit a recipient from receiving medical assistance for one year if he or she failed to meet qualifying activities or report family income or knowingly made a false statement in complying with that requirement, after being given one warning and not complying within 30 days.

Oh! But you want the rest of us to work 60 hours a week so that these motherfuckers can sit on their asses at our expense?

No healthcare if not:

Oh! But you want the rest of us to work 60 hours a week so that these motherfuckers can sit on their asses at our expense?
She said nothing of the sort. Those are your words, which make no sense do reveal your anger. Are you really working 60 hours a week. If so, why?

I think able-bodies was the key part for me. A person who can work should, at least a little. What I never quite get is why isn't here a stair step approach for folks. It seems like there is less incentive to be more functional the closer you get to being fully employed, You should be better off as you approach full time, for that matter if you are full time it should be way better than no employment, but it feels like that is not the case.

I think able-bodies was the key part for me. A person who can work should, at least a little. ...
They should also brush their teeth and get regular exercise.

I'm opposed to state welfare across the board. I oppose it, in part, because it can be used as a means of controlling people, a way to "encourage" people to do whatever it is that our current government thinks they should be doing. Indulging this usage only makes the problem worse.

I think able-bodies was the key part for me. A person who can work should, at least a little. ...

I'm opposed to state welfare across the board. I oppose it, in part, because it can be used as a means of controlling people, a way to "encourage" people to do whatever it is that our current government thinks they should be doing. Indulging this usage only makes the problem worse.

I agree with the control aspect, which is why making a path to independence is best, if you are going to have it. In an employment situation you do not get a raise and at the same time they end health insurance payment assistance. If you work enough to end food stamps, you should make enough to pay whatever bills you were paying plus groceries. If you end up with less, then the system is not working right.

I think able-bodies was the key part for me. A person who can work should, at least a little. What I never quite get is why isn't here a stair step approach for folks. It seems like there is less incentive to be more functional the closer you get to being fully employed, You should be better off as you approach full time, for that matter if you are full time it should be way better than no employment, but it feels like that is not the case.
People on public assistance do work. Most people on the right ignore this fact preferring the image of the 1980's welfare queen. The fact is 60% of able bodied adults on medicaid work now, 11% are disabled, 10% are over 65, and 8% are single parents with 2 or more children under age 6. That's 89%. Since acceptable work under this bill includes enrollment in any community college, or any 4 year institution, any vocational training, any intern program, and special needs exceptions, few people if any will loose coverage. Legislation like this only serves to pacify constituents on the right and inflame those on the left which usually leads to increased benefits.

Medicaid Enrollees by Enrollment Group

No healthcare if not:

The elites will end up paying their ER visits instead. Penny wise and pound foolish.

You do know that after Obamacare unpaid ER visits actually
increased right?

No healthcare if not:

The elites will end up paying their ER visits instead. Penny wise and pound foolish.

increased right?

Not everyone was on the ACA, they were on Medicaid, and many could not go to secondary ER's (urgents cares) with Medicaid. Also do you have a source for this?

HHS chief mostly correct that ER use is up since Obamacare

You can now expect them to go way up.

Last edited:

I agree with the control aspect, which is why making a path to independence is best, if you are going to have it. In an employment situation you do not get a raise and at the same time they end health insurance payment assistance. If you work enough to end food stamps, you should make enough to pay whatever bills you were paying plus groceries. If you end up with less, then the system is not working right.
I've seen several paths to independence from government assistance but I haven't seen any that would have any chance of working in regard to Medicaid. The problem boils down to Obamacare or as modified under Trump is either unaffordable or inferior to Medicaid even with all it's faults.

The number of uninsured in 2017 increased by 3 million. With reduced coverage in policies, employers reducing their share of the employee premium costs, and insurance companies reducing coverage, we will soon be back to 2008 with 45 million people without insurance. Liberals will be beating the drum for universal coverage and media will once again be exposing the problems in the healthcare system.

Universal coverage or universal healthcare will happen sooner or latter because the cost of new life saving advancements in medicine are so expense that only the wealthy will be able to afford them. Couple that with the commonly held belief today that no adult or child should have to die because they can not afford the best available medical treatment and you will have universal coverage. It's really the only answer.

Last edited:

No healthcare if not:

increased right?

Not everyone was on the ACA, they were on Medicaid, and many could not go to secondary ER's (urgents cares) with Medicaid. Also do you have a source for this?

Please explain your statement, "Not everyone was on the ACA, they were on Medicaid". The ACA, Affordable Care Act covered both Medicaid, group plans and individual insurance through exchanges as well employee plans.

You can say the same thing about any legislation that favors any group of people, corporations, families, or dog lovers. Whether legislation increases VA benefits, cuts taxes on oil companies, provides funds for a major project in your town or increases welfare, it gives the party in power leverage with that group.

You can say the same thing about any legislation that favors any group of people, corporations, families, or dog lovers. Whether legislation increases VA benefits, cuts taxes on oil companies, provides funds for a major project in your town or increases welfare, it gives the party in power leverage with that group.

Which is why we should keep it to a minimum.

No healthcare if not:

increased right?

Please explain your statement, "Not everyone was on the ACA, they were on Medicaid". The ACA, Affordable Care Act covered both Medicaid, group plans and individual insurance through exchanges as well employee plans.

A single person in MI would have to make over 16,643 to qualify for the ACA. This is for 2017, if under they use to go to healthy Mi and well still do. There are still many who do not take Medicaid, look at Price , he belonged to an org that refused Medicaid patients and even Medicare.

People have a hard time finding Medicaid doctors, and even some do not accept Medicare.

I am awaiting the list of people who have died because they lacked health care coverage. I suppose you could twist people waiting for an organ donor and say they died because of lack of coverage, or maybe claim dead drug addicts died because of lack of coverage. Your own example of a 670,000 bill disproves your assertion.
My son in law spent 16 days in a hospital and died. The bill was $476,000. He had healthcare coverage which paid all but $7,000. My wife was in hospital last year 3 times for short stays, 3 to 7 days. The total for year was $127,000. The average Medicare hospital billing upon discharge in the state of Florida in 2011 was $536,000 and that was in 2011. It is certainly higher today.

A list of people that died because of lack of coverage?? You apparently know nothing about the problem. People have breaks in coverage. For example depending on the state, you can wait up to 9 weeks to get Medicaid coverage. If you have to buy insurance through the exchanges you may have to wait up 10 months because they don't open till Nov of each year. Even when you sign up for coverage there is usually a minimum of 30 days before coverage begins. When you get a diagnosis of cancer or a serious heart problem, you can't wait weeks and months for coverage. Even worse, tests needed for diagnosis can cost thousands of dollars and people without coverage often delay until they have the new job and healthcare coverage, or the exchange opens, or they qualify for Medicaid and then they find out they waited too long.

A new problem has popped up since Trump became president. He ordered the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to come up with new regulations on Obamacare that would lower premiums. Now, many policies are being sold that have yearly maximums as low as $250,000 plus insurance companies are being allowed to sell policies without coverage for expensive treatments of many serious problems. In effect, these policies are offering coverage at lower premiums that pay some routine healthcare costs but provide less when you really need it which is crazy. We buy health insurance to pay for healthcare cost we could never afford not low cost routine care.

Average Hospital Cost By State
Flop I am disappointed. According to your own chart the $536,000 you claim is the cost of average Medicare visit is rather the number of discharges in Florida. But if you thought about it instead of reflexively going back to talking points you would realize f just 1,000,000 people used Medicare in Florida the bill,would be 536,000,000,000. You have no figures, you just use anecdotals. You know people who have never smoked die of lung cancer, meaning you can always find one example to support your case. You got insurance. I got insurance, but I run into people everyday who paid nothing and get plenty of healthcare. Help is out there and as they like to say ignorance is no excuse for not having health care. By far, the largest group without health care are young healthy people. And Flop you assume people don’t care about other people and try to help them through direct donations or from go fund me sites, as I have done. I myself have postponed operations because of insurance problems. It happens.

And the way you play fast and loose with these numbers, if you really have had any contact with Medicare you should know better. I have BCBS supplemental insurance. They send me a monthly spreadsheet of any monthly bills. Recently I had a procedure where the anesthesiologist charged $2400 for her work. You know what Medicare paid? One tenth of that amount and the doctor accepted that. This happens all the time, so you can throw all,these big numbers around but they have no basis to Medicare reality.

Flop the reason I am disappointed in you is that you usually are more,substantial than this. You are repeating fiction and myth. Same as the guy who said republicans are killing women(interesting, if women are being killed by these terrible republicans wouldn’t men also be dying too? Oh I forgot, men are not important to the democratic narrative of special interest groups). Could healthcare be better, of course, couldn’t everything be better? Your insinuation that there is a sick silent majority out there in a state of perpetual illness because they don’t have health insurance is a fraud, just like most all democratic claims. Neither facts nor anecdotes support such propaganda for the vast majority of Americans.

No healthcare if not:

increased right?

A single person in MI would have to make over 16,643 to qualify for the ACA. This is for 2017, if under they use to go to healthy Mi and well still do. There are still many who do not take Medicaid, look at Price , he belonged to an org that refused Medicaid patients and even Medicare.

People have a hard time finding Medicaid doctors, and even some do not accept Medicare.
I think you have it backwards. A single person will qualify for the ACA extended Medicaid if their income is less than $16,643. In states that do not have extended Medicaid, the income has to be less than $12,060. Very few single people qualify for Medicaid unless they are over 65, a minor, or disable. An income of $12,060 a year working full time is less than federal minimum wage. A wage $16,643 is less than most state minimum wage. Another thing, Medicaid is getting harder to get and keep. Most states are auditing members at least once a year and many states have started auditing every 6 months.

The availability of Medicaid doctors depends on how much your state pays for an office visit. Medicaid reimbursement rates can vary by as much as 300% depending on the state. Not uprising, states with high reimbursement rates have lots of Medicaid doctors with short waiting period. Also the specialty makes a big difference. If you are on Medicaid in my state it can you 3 months to see a neurologist and if you qualify for surgery, it can take another 3 months to see a neurosurgeon. If you just want to see a GP, you usually can get an appointment within 2 weeks if you're a new patient. If you are established, then it's about same wait as any other patient.

Medicaid is excellent system with two exceptions. Getting to see a specialist can take a while and you won't have as big a choice of doctors as most insurance plans offer. However, once you are admitted to the hospital, the care you get should not be any different than anyone else. Considering there is no premium, no deductible, no maximums, and no fee required to the provider, it is excellent insurance. Considering how bad some of the insurance now being sold is, Medicaid could charge a premium but that's probably illegal.

Last edited:

No healthcare if not:

increased right?

And this makes you wonder how hard would it to be to find a doctor if we went to single payer

Forum List

Back