MI Anti-Abortion Bill, 'Most Extreme' In The Country, Barrels Through State House

Michigan Woman Lawmakers Silenced By GOP After Abortion Debate 'Temper Tantrum'

"I'd love to know what I said that was offensive," Brown told The Huffington Post. "It was an anti-choice bill regarding abortion, which obviously involves a vagina, so, you know, I don't know what word I'm supposed to use otherwise."

Byrum caused a stir when she marched through the House gallery Wednesday protesting that she hadn't been allowed to speak on her amendment to the anti-abortion bill that would have required a man to have proof of a medical emergency before he could have a vasectomy.

"It's my impression that I'm being banned from speaking as a result of my use of the term vasectomy -- a medical procedure," Byrum told The Huffington Post. "Neither of us has been contacted by Republican leadership as to why or how long we've been banned. Talk about disrespectful, that they don’t have the common decency to tell us themselves."

Ari Adler, a spokesman for House Majority Leader Jase Bolger (R-Marshall), said the lawmakers were banned from speaking because of their behavior, not because of their word choice. "They behaved in a way that disrupted the decorum of the House," Adler said. "For Brown, it was not the words she used, but the way she used them that resulted in her being gaveled down." In Byrum's case, Adler said, "I hate to put it this way, but she essentially had a temper tantrum on the House floor."

Adler said the Republican floor leader told the Democratic floor leader the two representatives would not be recognized on Thursday. It's "not [the GOP's] concern" if the lawmakers weren't given the message, he said. It's unfortunate, he added, that the two lawmakers were sanctioned for what occurred during debate on an anti-abortion bill, because it makes it look as if they were silenced for reasons other than their "lack of decorum."

"The reality is, we have two representatives not being recognized today because of their actions yesterday," Adler said. "It has nothing to do with their gender or religion or the topics they were speaking about."

Byrum said that she believes her gender did have something to do with it, and that the silencing is unfair and unwarranted.

"There have been physical altercations between at least two men on the House floor, and I don't recall any of them every being banned from speaking," Bynum said. "It's just unacceptable to silence women when we're talking about women's reproductive rights."
Wow.

These women cannot even follow the law when they make laws?

*cringe*

I sure as hell would want non-hysterical and professional women in my legislature.

As angry as I get in my very own home, I doubt that I could behave like Sister Merry Veins of Ice Water in the legislature.

And really. You as a female would be fine with a) being silenced, and b) not being notified. Really.

As angry as I get in my very own home, I doubt that I could behave like Sister Merry Veins of Ice Water in the legislature.

And really. You as a female would be fine with a) being silenced, and b) not being notified. Really.
Of course not.

I would know the proper procedure for doing my job.

I would also know that I would never expect to be taken seriously by promoting content on a bill that has nothing to do with the bill (and one of my pet peeves about our US Congress).

I also know that I would not marginalize my professional credibility by having a temper tantrum at work, especially when that temper tantrum is due to my being upset because I got silenced because I broke the rules.

And, their whining to the press because they suffered consequences for their breaking of the rules somehow doesn't surprise me at all.

lololol!!! :lol:

On Thursday, Brown and another female member of the House were blocked from participating in a House debate over an education bill because of remarks they made during the abortion debate. Rep. Mike Callton was offened by Brown's choice of language. "What she said was offensive," he said. "It was so offensive, I don't even want to say it in front of women. I would not say that in mixed company."

Brown, thankfully, responded beautifully. First, she pointed out that vagina is the "medically correct term" to use when referring to a woman's, ahem, down there. Brown also took a wild leap in logic, asking, "If I can't say the word vagina, why are we legislating vaginas?" Then she asked the question we're wondering ourselves: "What language should I use?" What does Mike Callton say when he has to refer to a vagina?

BDBoop admits she has no problem with any reasonable limit on when it is to late to get an abortion. 20 weeks according to her is fine and after 20 weeks as well. Exactly when is it to late for an abortion?

Last I checked the Supreme Court in fact made no mention of stopping States from enacting reasonable restrictions on when it becomes murder officially.

Simple question BDBoop.... at what date is it acceptable to say a woman can not CHOSE to terminate her pregnancy? You obviously do not think 20 weeks is acceptable so when exactly is it acceptable?

Of course not.

I would also know that I would never expect to be taken seriously by promoting content on a bill that has nothing to do with the bill (and one of my pet peeves about our US Congress).

I also know that I would not marginalize my professional credibility by having a temper tantrum at work, especially when that temper tantrum is due to my being upset because I got silenced because I broke the rules.

And, their whining to the press because they suffered consequences for their breaking of the rules somehow doesn't surprise me at all.

Did you watch the video?

Of course not.

Did you watch the video?

According to you 20 weeks is acceptable. When is it not acceptable to ELECT to have an abortion?

I had a space between calls. She did not have a temper tantrum. She was impassioned.

They silenced her because the V word was inappropriate. If they can't even bring themselves to say it, then what the hell are they doing trying to legislate it!?

I had a space between calls. She did not have a temper tantrum. She was impassioned.

They silenced her because the V word was inappropriate. If they can't even bring themselves to say it, then what the hell are they doing trying to legislate it!?

Again YOU claim 20 weeks is acceptable to have an elective abortion , when , according to you, is it unacceptable?

Again YOU claim 20 weeks is acceptable to have an elective abortion , when , according to you, is it unacceptable?

That’s not the issue.

The issue is the government has no place interfering with a personal, private decision only the woman and her family should make.

Telling the hypocrisy of the right, and their desire to expand the power of the state.

That’s not the issue.

The issue is the government has no place interfering with a personal, private decision only the woman and her family should make.

Telling the hypocrisy of the right, and their desire to expand the power of the state.
And, how is Michigan doing that (any more than the state medical licensing board "interferes" in their decisions on other medical situations)?

That’s not the issue.

So according to YOU a State that sets a date for when abortion is no longer a personal choice is somehow violating rights? Does that mean any law they set that restricts your right to murder is wrong?

Be specific, provide for us justification for why a State can not set the date for that decision. Explain in detail how and why you think that abortion should be legal right up to instant a baby is born.

That’s not the issue.

So according to YOU a State that sets a date for when abortion is no longer a personal choice is somehow violating rights? Does that mean any law they set that restricts your right to murder is wrong?

Be specific, provide for us justification for why a State can not set the date for that decision. Explain in detail how and why you think that abortion should be legal right up to instant a baby is born.

Never said they couldn’t

As noted in your Roe thread, the issue isn’t time limits per se, but the right’s efforts to enact de facto bans on abortions by making abortions so needlessly difficult to obtain, the woman ‘gives up.’ It’s reprehensible.

That’s not the issue.

Never said they couldn’t

As noted in your Roe thread, the issue isn’t time limits per se, but the right’s efforts to enact de facto bans on abortions by making abortions so needlessly difficult to obtain, the woman ‘gives up.’ It’s reprehensible.

In South Dakota, there is only one place to get an abortion, and the doctor is only there one day a week. By forcing a three-day waiting period, you can't get one until the following week. Not only that, but you have to speak to a counselor at a crisis pregnancy center. However, there are no crisis pregnancy centers.

Etc.

Forum List

Back