Mi Amigo, B17 Flying Fortess

Jan 6, 2010
Hi Folks my first post on here.

Sunday 21st February there will be an annual remberence service for 10 brave American Airmen, who lost their lives when their B17 Flying Fortess (Mi Amigo) fell from the sky on Sunday 22nd February 1944 over the city of Sheffield UK. Youngest 21 Oldest 24.

These brave lads dies thousands of miles from their homeland in my home City of Sheffield.
We should never forget the sacrifice they made.

I've tried to post a link to the story, but if you need any more info please ask

Thanks for reading
Regards
John

Post the link with spaces so we can connect it.

Oh, and welcome to the board. Why don't you start a thread in the introductions so we can give you a real warm (or even hot) welcome, USMB style. LOL

Last edited:
Post the link with spaces so we can connect it.

Oh, and welcome to the board. Why don't you start a thread in the introductions so we can give you a real warm (or even hot) welcome, USMB style. LOL

Woman---if you're handing out hot welcomes I may quit and start all over.:lol:

Hi Folks my first post on here.

Sunday 21st February there will be an annual remberence service for 10 brave American Airmen, who lost their lives when their B17 Flying Fortess (Mi Amigo) fell from the sky on Sunday 22nd February 1944 over the city of Sheffield UK. Youngest 21 Oldest 24.

These brave lads dies thousands of miles from their homeland in my home City of Sheffield.
We should never forget the sacrifice they made.

I've tried to post a link to the story, but if you need any more info please ask

Thanks for reading
Regards
John

Thanks John...nice story

Excellent story, like so many others never told but replete with elements from this one. I had the opportunity to talk with a man who was a ball turret gunner on a B-17. He (obviously) survived but he recounted one mission were just after their bombing run the front of the aircraft was hit by flak, killing the co-pilot and wounding the pilot. The plane began a downward spiral pinning him where he was with centrifugal force and believing it was over for him and the rest of the crew. Suddenly the pilot regained consciousness and by some miracle was able to pull the plane out of it's death spiral and eventually limp home.

DSC_4219BA932Alo.jpg

hi john i live in sheffield and whenever i go to endcliffe park i always visit the memorial site and pay my respects and quietly say a thankyou for those 10 brave souls sacrifice for my freedom, i shall be going in february i dont know what sunday it will be on though maybe the sunday before the 22nd. rob sheffield,

Quite a sticky wicket for a Flying Fortress to come crashing down in the town park but what about the other 4,753 B-17's that went down during WW2?

Forum List

Back