Mexico to use international court to block U.S. law in Arizona

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
INVASION USA
Mexico threatens Arizona over anti-illegals measure
Official says challenge in international courts possible to block voter-passed Proposition 200

January 28, 2005
1:00 a.m. Eastern
© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com
http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=42589

A Mexican government official has threatened to use international courts to block an Arizona law meant to prohibit illegal aliens from receiving public benefits and voting rights.

Foreign Secretary Luis Ernesto Derbez said in a radio interview Wednesday that an international strategy would be used if other attempts to reverse Proposition 200 fail, the Associated Press reported.

"We are seeking all the legal opportunities that exist, first using the legal capacities of the United States itself and ... if that does not work, bringing it to international tribunals," AP quotes Derbez as saying.

Mexican officials have repeatedly complained about Proposition 200, which went into effect Tuesday. The statewide measure denies most taxpayer benefits to illegal aliens and requires state workers to report applicants for such benefits who may not be eligible. It also requires anyone registering to vote in the state to show proof of citizenship and bring a government-issued ID to the polling place.

AP reported Derbez expressed regret that, according to polls, about 40 percent of Mexican-Americans in Arizona supported Prop. 200. The measure passed with 60 percent of the vote.

"It's sad, and it gives an idea of how we have to work to educate even our own Mexican-Americans about why it is important that these proposals are not accepted," Derbez said.

The Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund has challenged Prop. 200, saying it is "an illegal, impermissible, unconstitutional state attempt to regulate immigration policy, which is a fundamental function and responsibility of our federal government. Proposition 200 is mean-spirited and un-American."

ScreamingEagle said:
INVASION USA
Mexico threatens Arizona over anti-illegals measure
Official says challenge in international courts possible to block voter-passed Proposition 200

January 28, 2005
1:00 a.m. Eastern
© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com
http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=42589

Is it just me or does this strike others as insane? "We will send you our poor, etc, illegally. You must clothe, feed, and improve their health. They will send the American dollars back to Mexico. If some of your citizens refuse to grant these fine illegals the vote and other privilieges, our country will sue you!"

Do I have this right? :huh:

Oh yeah, you got it right. Not only will we sue you in your own courts but we will let the international court tell you that you must do it our way.

BTW, did I read it wrong (not from AZ) but at some time did illegals get to actually vote? :coffee3:

pegwinn said:
Oh yeah, you got it right. Not only will we sue you in your own courts but we will let the international court tell you that you must do it our way.

BTW, did I read it wrong (not from AZ) but at some time did illegals get to actually vote? :coffee3:

I've heard that some have been allowed to vote in school elections, others allowing drivers licenses and such. What is wrong with these people?

I heard about this and it seems utterly ridiculous. This wont succeed even in an international court. If it did the Supreme Court would overrule it.

I heard about this and it seems utterly ridiculous. This wont succeed even in an international court. If it did the Supreme Court would overrule it.

Not to mention the Evil Empire doesn't BELONG to the ICC, for good reason! :banana:

Kathianne said:
Not to mention the Evil Empire doesn't BELONG to the ICC, for good reason! :banana:

The ICC wouldnt have anything to do with it. This isnt a criminal matter. If Mexico had a dispute with the US it would come before the ICJ, which is a totally different court. I am not familar with the US status in regard to the ICJ which only settles disputes between nations. All i know is this issue cant even come before the ICJ if Mexico tried. There is no international law which allows for benefits of illegal aliens in any nation. Nor is there any international custom. So there would be no jurisdiction for the ICJ. Besides which I believe the US would have to consent to the matter being brought between an international tribunal, as it has to do with our domestic laws i dont think it would ever happen.

The ICC wouldnt have anything to do with it. This isnt a criminal matter. If Mexico had a dispute with the US it would come before the ICJ, which is a totally different court. I am not familar with the US status in regard to the ICJ which only settles disputes between nations. All i know is this issue cant even come before the ICJ if Mexico tried. There is no international law which allows for benefits of illegal aliens in any nation. Nor is there any international custom. So there would be no jurisdiction for the ICJ. Besides which I believe the US would have to consent to the matter being brought between an international tribunal, as it has to do with our domestic laws i dont think it would ever happen.
I would think Article 3 Section. 2.
Clause 1: The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority;--to all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls;--to all Cases of admiralty and maritime Jurisdiction;--to Controversies to which the United States shall be a Party;--to Controversies between two or more States;--between a State and Citizens of another State; (See Note 10)--between Citizens of different States, --between Citizens of the same State claiming Lands under Grants of different States, and between a State, or the Citizens thereof, and foreign States, Citizens or Subjects.

Kathianne said:
I've heard that some have been allowed to vote in school elections, <b></b?others allowing drivers licenses and such. What is wrong with these people?
that was gray davis trying to save his skin...lol

Forum List

Back