Mexico kicks off bicentennial celebrations

Bullfighter

Rookie
Jun 10, 2010
By Chris Hawley and Sergio Solache, USA TODAY

MEXICO CITY — Mexico celebrates its 200th birthday tonight, kicking off a two-day bicentennial extravaganza of laser shows, fireworks and music aimed at lifting citizens' spirits in the midst of a recession and a bloody war against drug cartels.

On Tuesday, work crews tested hundreds of lights in Mexico City's main Zócalo Plaza, where hotel rooms were going for $2,600 apiece. Actors rehearsed on floats, portraying historical events. Honor guards from 16 nations, including the United States, drilled for their role in a military parade.

Security was tight because of worries that drug cartels might stage an attack during the festivities. Two years ago, attackers hurled grenades during an Independence Day festival in the central city of Morelia, killing seven people and wounding 132.

"We're in bad shape as far as violence goes ... but you can't deny people a party if they want to celebrate something," said Francisco Segura, 52, a building contractor.

Mexico has spent billions of dollars on public works projects leading up to the bicentennial, including new airports, freeways and parks.

Even so, the development has been overshadowed by President Felipe Calderón's military crackdown on the drug cartels, which began in December 2006. Since then, more than 22,000 people have died in drug-related violence, according to an unofficial tally by the Reforma newspaper.

Officials in the violence-plagued border city of Ciudad Juárez kept crowds away from the site of the traditional grito, or call-to-arms ceremony, in the city's main plaza. In Mexico City, riot police and armored vehicles practiced crowd-control techniques on Tuesday.

Tonight's celebration marks the day in 1810 when Mexico began its war of independence against Spain, an event that triggered similar uprisings across the Western Hemisphere.

In September 1810, rebels in the central state of Guanajuato were secretly planning an uprising against the Spanish when their plot was discovered. As Spanish troops moved to arrest conspirators, one of them, priest Miguel Hidalgo, realized the moment for revolution was upon them.

Before dawn on Sept. 16, 1810, Hidalgo rang the church bell to gather residents in the town of Dolores, and then delivered a famous call to arms known as the grito, or shout.

The war lasted 11 years before Spain finally gave Mexico and Central America its independence. The territory included what is now California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, Texas and parts of Wyoming and Colorado.

Tonight at 11, Calderón will ring a bell in the Zócalo Plaza and recite the names of Hidalgo and other independence heroes. After each name, the crowd shouts Viva!— long may he live.

The event, which is repeated by mayors and governors across Mexico, has become an annual sign of hope, said Oriel Gómez Mendoza, a historian at Michoacan University.

"Mexicans never give up," Gómez Mendoza said. "We're a country that never loses its pride."

The ceremony will be followed by fireworks, light shows, parades and concerts across Mexico, organizers say.

Mexico's centennial celebration in 1910 also occurred during hard times. Two months after the celebrations, Mexico was torn by a bloody civil war — the Mexican Revolution— that lasted 10 years.

Mexico kicks off bicentennial celebrations - USATODAY.com

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Mexicans never give up," Gómez Mendoza said. "We're a country that never loses its pride."

How can you feel pride in a country that Mexicans turned into a craphole? You are constantly begging more money from the US. You guys live in a land of dilusions.

• Banned
Remind the beaners that the southwestern states were purchased. Then send Mexico the bill for all the tourists still in the US stealing from America.

• Banned
those states were stolen from Mexico after we kicked their ass in the War.

The US won that property fair and square. Plus the US paid off Mexico. No other country would have done that. US Grant was quoted as stating that too.

Having beaten Mexico, the entire country could have been grabbed.

The US won that property fair and square. Plus the US paid off Mexico. No other country would have done that. US Grant was quoted as stating that too.

Fair and square as in I come in your house and shoot half your family and give you ten bucks for it and tell you to get the fuck out. OK got it :cuckoo:

• Banned

Fair and square as in I come in your house and shoot half your family and give you ten bucks for it and tell you to get the fuck out. OK got it :cuckoo:

It was the Mexican Army against the US Army. Oh, yeah. I forgot. Mexicans want their targets tied up and knocked out for them to consider it a fair fight. Like the way they murdered the defenders of the Alamo and Goliad.

It was the Mexican Army against the US Army. Oh, yeah. I forgot. Mexicans want their targets tied up and knocked out for them to consider it a fair fight. Like the way they murdered the defenders of the Alamo and Goliad.

Different war, different people, different time....where the Mexican government was trying to stop the flow of illegal aliens into THEIR state of Texas.

Different war, different people, different time....where the Mexican government was trying to stop the flow of illegal aliens into THEIR state of Texas.

After Mexico went out of their way to invite Americans to settle there.

I'm not into the racist hate of mexican, love the hypocracy of hating on them for being here when they were here first. wingnuts!!!!

Wrong as usual, we took them by force in a time when Countries routinely kept property seized during a war. BUT we then PAID Mexico for the territory.

By the way? Mexico STARTED the war. And Europeans believed Mexico would quickly crush the United States as its Army was well trained as a European military.

Remind the beaners that the southwestern states were purchased. Then send Mexico the bill for all the tourists still in the US stealing from America.

Yeah, according to another poster, Jose,

Mexico was there, AND here, first,

so how does THAT work?

OUR bicentennial was in '76...

Wait let me get this right.... Mexico revolted against Spain and that was a good thing. Texas revolted against Mexico 25 years later and that was a bad thing?

Texas was an Independent Republic in 1846, it had thrown off the Mexican yoke in 1836. Mexico had no say what Texas did in 1846, just like Spain had nothing to say what Mexico did when they won their Independence in 1821.

I'm talking about hating on mexicans, they were here before the Texans and whites moved in on Cali.
Not that I would let a baby killer influence my opinion.

I'm talking about hating on mexicans, they were here before the Texans and whites moved in on Cali.
Not that I would let a baby killer influence my opinion.

And? Are you insinuating that we should just roll over and let them come here and take back what we supposedly stole?

No, I'm saying deport every last one of them. I just don't dig the racist rhetoric. We can do it, niether side has the balls too. They would prefer it to be a political football than an actual problem to solve.

wtf? I celebrated on cinca de mayo? do I call off work and get drunk today too?

The short answer?

HELL, YEAH!

Well, IF you don't reside in a Right To Work state, that is! :lol:

I do live in a Right To Work state, but since I don't work,

I'd be Honored to join you,

AND

I'll drink to THAT! :rofl:

After Mexico went out of their way to invite Americans to settle there.

Some Americans....and those Americans had to follow certain rules, like become Roman catholic, learn Spanish, have no slaves.....

Forum List

Back