Mexico Gets This One Right...

Mr. H.

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2009
A warm place with no memory.
MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexico City lawmakers want to help newlyweds avoid the hassle of divorce by giving them an easy exit strategy: temporary marriage licenses.

Leftists in the city's assembly -- who have already riled conservatives by legalizing gay marriage -- proposed a reform to the civil code this week that would allow couples to decide on the length of their commitment, opting out of a lifetime.

'Til 2013 do us part? Mexico mulls 2-year marriage - Yahoo! News

I wonder if folks will be allowed to grandfather into this one. :)

This is probably one of the stupidest things i've heard! Why get married at all? There's no such thing as a "temporary" marriage, what are they going to do with the words "till death do us part"...change it to "till i get tired of living with you" ??

This is probably one of the stupidest things i've heard! Why get married at all? There's no such thing as a "temporary" marriage, what are they going to do with the words "till death do us part"...change it to "till i get tired of living with you" ??

Sure, why not?

Contracts can be written with a time sensitive clause.

Sure, why not?

Contracts can be written with a time sensitive clause.

In this case even a "sanity" clause would be appropriate.

But then most people don't believe in sanity clause.

It makes sense from their point of view. Children born to such a marriage are expected to become burdens on the United States anyway so there is no impediment of responsibility to temporary marriages.

It makes sense from their point of view. Children born to such a marriage are expected to become burdens on the United States anyway so there is no impediment of responsibility to temporary marriages.

That presumes that all other laws regarding the responsibility of parents is also changed.

I didn't notice that in the hypathetical question posed to us.

Seems pretty silly to me. I wonder if the 'need' stems from a large number of the marriages being shotgun weddings.

Of related interest, a national law is going into effect related to cohabitation. If the couple live together for two years or more, than the split will be legally determined as to terms of property, income and children. This is to counteract the numbers of couples who move in quickly and then one leaves with all the furniture and savings escaping legal reprecussions.

Seems pretty silly to me. I wonder if the 'need' stems from a large number of the marriages being shotgun weddings.

Of related interest, a national law is going into effect related to cohabitation. If the couple live together for two years or more, than the split will be legally determined as to terms of property, income and children. This is to counteract the numbers of couples who move in quickly and then one leaves with all the furniture and savings escaping legal reprecussions.

In Mexico or US?
I always thought it odd how states have differing laws regarding cohabitchation.

In Mexico or US?
I always thought it odd how states have differing laws regarding cohabitchation.

Oops, sorry. In Mexico.

and :lol:

Forum List

Back