Mexico Detains Two U.S. Agents

Yurt

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2004
Hot air ballon
At first I thought, wth? But then after more reading, hmmm, looks kinda sketchy. Transporting ammo that US agents use...

MONTERREY, Mexico - Mexico detained two U.S. border patrol agents during a routine border check that uncovered a box filled with illegal ammunition in their car, the Mexican federal attorney general's office said Tuesday.

U.S. Border Patrol agents German Verdugo and David Allen Navarro were arrested late Friday in Mexicali, across from Calexico, Calif., said U.S. Border Patrol spokesman Miguel Hernandez.

He said the agents were off-duty and driving a private vehicle when they were arrested. Hernandez did not know why they were carrying the ammunition, the same assigned to other border patrol agents for use while on-duty.

"We're cooperating fully with Mexican law enforcement agents in their investigation," Hernandez said.

Verdugo and Allen Navarro crossed into Mexico in a lane assigned to vehicles with nothing to declare but were selected for inspection, Mexican federal prosecutors said in a statement.

Customs inspectors found a box in the backseat of their car containing about 1,300 rounds of rifle ammunition, the statement said. Mexican law restricts that ammunition to use by only the Mexican military.

The agents, both assigned to the U.S. Border Patrol in El Centro, Calif., are being held at a Mexicali prison and face weapon possession charges.

The Mexican federal attorney general's office said the Border Patrol agents were unable to show that they could legally import the ammunition and didn't have a permit by Mexico's Defense Department.

Where's Mulder when I need him?

Yurt said:
At first I thought, wth? But then after more reading, hmmm, looks kinda sketchy. Transporting ammo that US agents use...

Where's Mulder when I need him?

In the big scheme of things, 1300 rounds really ain't that much. But it does look to me like they probably stole this from the Border Patrol and they were head'n to Mexico to sell it or to give it to their buddies that are run'n drugs. It is a fact that the Mexican military and police are often involved in drug smuggling.

Yes. It almost looks to me, without further evidence, that they might use these bullets to frame the US. Maybe to many X-Files shows...

Forum List

Back