Methods off preaching, conversion, spreading the Faith and religious tolerance

Isaac Brock

Sep 28, 2003
I observed the discussion in the previous few threads which seem to some how get stuck into whether it is acceptable to have religious discussions at work. I don't think anyone really cares about religious discussion it is when one is doing so in order to spread their faith or convert that it becomes an issue.

It itself, I hardly see it as being bad. However, I'm sure everyone can agree that there are methods and times that are appropriate and times where, though they may be legally allowed, it is entirely unwelcome. Personally I don't want to be preached out of the blue.

If someone want to really show me their faith, I would firstmost want it to be from a friend, someone who has taken the time to know me. I will not accept solicitation of faith from a stranger. Since faith relies so much on trust, one can see how it is a reasonable requisite.

Judging my actions and all I do wrong according to one's own moral code isn't really welcoming, however inviting me to one's church, place of worship or activity is. In addition, knowing when to accept no as an answer and thus providing patience in what is admittingly a tough subject is appreciated.

Lastly, the best possible way to show me their faith is to be a model of one's faith. I have been duely impressed in my lifetime by people who walk-the-walk firstly, and talk-the-talk secondly. Going along with this, I have also been impressed with people who still keep an open mind on other people's faith. While that doesn't mean accepting or even liking other people's faith, it can help having civil and enjoyable spiritual discussions.

Legally, I'm sure it's possible to preach or be preached at almost anywhere at anytime and I certainly would never suggest changing that. However, given the goal of spreading's one faith, it would be reasonable to ask that it be done in a manner that is welcoming to those outside the faith.

What do you people think?

religion sex and politics are the only decent topics of discussion

but has been said discussion is one thing unwanted conversion / indoctrination is another

The thing I personally can't stand more than anything else is when religion is sold as a product. If you are going door to door, you are "selling" a religion just like an encyclopedia salesman sells encyclopedias. If you are leaving pamphlets on bus benches, you are advertising a product just like Sony does. I think that tactics like these cheapen the religion you are choosing to push and the "converts" you get are not likely to be the ones who are truly committed to whatever you just sold them.

I've always believed that the ones who are truly lost will be the ones to seek YOU out and the best thing to do is be open to the call when it comes. Quality, not quantity, should be the goal.

Isaac Brock said:
I will not accept solicitation of faith from a stranger. Since faith relies so much on trust, one can see how it is a reasonable requisite.
Amen (pun? intended)

Isaac Brock said:
I observed the discussion in the previous few threads which seem to some how get stuck into whether it is acceptable to have religious discussions at work. I don't think anyone really cares about religious discussion it is when one is doing so in order to spread their faith or convert that it becomes an issue.

It itself, I hardly see it as being bad. However, I'm sure everyone can agree that there are methods and times that are appropriate and times where, though they may be legally allowed, it is entirely unwelcome. Personally I don't want to be preached out of the blue.

If someone want to really show me their faith, I would firstmost want it to be from a friend, someone who has taken the time to know me. I will not accept solicitation of faith from a stranger. Since faith relies so much on trust, one can see how it is a reasonable requisite.

Judging my actions and all I do wrong according to one's own moral code isn't really welcoming, however inviting me to one's church, place of worship or activity is. In addition, knowing when to accept no as an answer and thus providing patience in what is admittingly a tough subject is appreciated.

Lastly, the best possible way to show me their faith is to be a model of one's faith. I have been duely impressed in my lifetime by people who walk-the-walk firstly, and talk-the-talk secondly. Going along with this, I have also been impressed with people who still keep an open mind on other people's faith. While that doesn't mean accepting or even liking other people's faith, it can help having civil and enjoyable spiritual discussions.

Legally, I'm sure it's possible to preach or be preached at almost anywhere at anytime and I certainly would never suggest changing that. However, given the goal of spreading's one faith, it would be reasonable to ask that it be done in a manner that is welcoming to those outside the faith.

What do you people think?

Speaking of being Preached to.

I don't belive it Christmas, but I get stuck in the middle of it every year. I am not religeous but I am offended that most people say Happy Holidays to me instead of Merry Christmas. Why? I think it is because I was born here in the US, and so I was always exposed to Christmas activities. (the music, the decorations, the school plays, the sales fliers) It has probably has had an effect. Yet, whether you like it or not, the US government shuts down for days associated with Christmas and Easter. But if you try to put a nativity scene up on public property, or have and Easter Egg hunt on school property, you are in deep doo doo.. Go figure.

Are people becoming more PC, or has the "melting pot" finally melted itself???

HorhayAtAMD said:
The thing I personally can't stand more than anything else is when religion is sold as a product. If you are going door to door, you are "selling" a religion just like an encyclopedia salesman sells encyclopedias. If you are leaving pamphlets on bus benches, you are advertising a product just like Sony does. I think that tactics like these cheapen the religion you are choosing to push and the "converts" you get are not likely to be the ones who are truly committed to whatever you just sold them.

I've always believed that the ones who are truly lost will be the ones to seek YOU out and the best thing to do is be open to the call when it comes. Quality, not quantity, should be the goal.

Amen (pun? intended)

Treating religious salesman like any other salesman is a difficult thing for many people and I think it's because people see them as some kind of representative from God and are scared to death to hurt their feelings. They come across as confident as any door to door salesman should about their product which can also be intimidating. My room mate runs when she she's them coming and tells me to handle it. I just ell em I don't have time to talk with em and they go away. Salesman try to sell people crap 24/7 in a variety of ways but usually it's not a face to face encounter. Some assertion skills some in handy to protect your own space. No one else can guard it for ya better than you can.

Isaac Brock said:
Legally, I'm sure it's possible to preach or be preached at almost anywhere at anytime and I certainly would never suggest changing that. ....
Not on my private property it's not....Other than that, I agree with the rest of what you said. :)

Working Man said:
Are people becoming more PC, or has the "melting pot" finally melted itself???

For once I agree with you. When did "Merry Christmas" become as offenisve as "hey, you must be hung like a gorilla"?

Said1 said:
For once I agree with you. When did "Merry Christmas" become as offenisve as "hey, you must be hung like a gorilla"?

Can you name one guy who would find that statement offensive? I've wracked my brain, and I can't.

Isaac, even conversing to convert is LEGALLY acceptable speech. THe person has the option of running away. Most people will not want to alienate people and will modify their level of intensity to save the relationship, but if they don't, individuals need to use some assertion skills, like dillo said. Using law to prohibit speech to convert is not justified in OUR constitution.

Mr. P said:
Has someone in this thread said we should prohibit speech by law? I must have missed that.

Whenever a lib says anything, they typically mean to make it federal policy. That's how enraptured they are with their own addled opinions. They invent rights where they don't exist and abuse the constitution to make it fit. It's like judicial date rape.

Thanks for playing mr. p.

rtwngAvngr said:
Isaac, even conversing to convert is LEGALLY acceptable speech. THe person has the option of running away. Most people will not want to alienate people and will modify their level of intensity to save the relationship, but if they don't, individuals need to use some assertion skills, like dillo said. Using law to prohibit speech to convert is not justified in OUR constitution.

I would agree with you that religious conversation is legally acceptable speech. Furthermore, despire your apparent assertion, I have no wish to change that, which I made apparent in my first post.

The question is not on legality, it is on a time, place and circumstances where conversations of this nature would be better appreciated or at least tolerated.

Mr. P said:
Not on my private property it's not....Other than that, I agree with the rest of what you said. :)

Fair enough, but I'm sure if it was a close friend you had over, religious discussions could be possible? I'm pretty sure your referring to the JW, or other faith solicitors in which case is entirely understandable.

Isaac Brock said:
I would agree with you that religious conversation is legally acceptable speech. Furthermore, despire your apparent assertion, I have no wish to change that, which I made apparent in my first post.

The question is not on legality, it is on a time, place and circumstances where conversations of this nature would be better appreciated or at least tolerated.

That notion of better is only your opinion. The notion that religious and politics shouldn't be discussed in polite company is how the status quo perpetuates itself. Right now the status quo is liberal, so monkeys like you try to shutdown discussion.

Isaac Brock said:
Fair enough, but I'm sure if it was a close friend you had over, religious discussions could be possible? I'm pretty sure your referring to the JW, or other faith solicitors in which case is entirely understandable.

The terms discussion and conversation imply voluntary, two-way communication. There are some really misguided individuals that believe they have the absolute freedom to mount their pulpit and verbally accost the rest of us whenever and wherever they feel it is appropriate without any regard for decorum or reasonability.

rtwngAvngr said:
Whenever a lib says anything, they typically mean to make it federal policy. That's how enraptured they are with their own addled opinions. They invent rights where they don't exist and abuse the constitution to make it fit. It's like judicial date rape.

Thanks for playing mr. p.

Let there be no mistake here...I'm not playing. So, did anyone say what you
eluded to in this thread or not? You know no one did. So what the hell was your point?
You don't intend to do to this thread what you did to the other do you?

i like this right afforded by the geneva convention:

Part II. Humane Treatment

Art. 4. Fundamental guarantees

"3. Children shall be provided with the care and aid they require, and in particular: (a) they shall receive an education, including religious and moral education, in keeping with the wishes of their parents....",

www.genevaconventions.org

so since i live in california surrounded by a hostile force can i decalre myself a capture enemy combatant and demand that my child receive an education, including religious and moral education, in keeping with the wishes of their parents...."

barabar boxer i surrender.....teach my child about god

Forum List

Back