Methodist Divisions Over Gays Intensify

The ClayTaurus said:
Just like the argument that you shouldn't compare the gay rights struggle with the civil rights struggle.

Sure, you can compare them, it might not be appropriate, though.

Comparing them isn't the problem - EQUATING them WOULD be a problem.

People often confuse the terms; just like Constantly and Consistantly. :)

The idea is as mentioned:
Promoting to the 'spokesman' level somebody who by their very lifestyle contradicts the beliefs of the organizational canon is a bad Idea.

:)

dmp said:
Comparing them isn't the problem - EQUATING them WOULD be a problem.

People often confuse the terms; just like Constantly and Consistantly. :)

The idea is as mentioned:
Promoting to the 'spokesman' level somebody who by their very lifestyle contradicts the beliefs of the organizational canon is a bad Idea.

:)
Fair enough. :beer:

Lastly, you seem to think there's a gray area involving gays in the church. There isn't. The Bible specifically lists homosexuality as a sin, period. End of stoy. Now, you call it intolerant becuase we don't want people who completely discount a very specific sin to preach. Well, how does this not make sense? If you want tolerant, though, you should find it interesting that I'm all for letting gays in the church, just not in leadership until they recognize that it is clearly stated, in the Bible, that HOMOSEXUALITY IS...A...SIN!!!
Okay, homosexuality is a sin, so why do certain sins get ignored or brushed aside but homosexuality is the only sin that renders you incapable of being a church leader? Many preachers get caught breaking the church law, stealing money or being a drunk or committing adultery, but homosexuality is the one thing that completely renders a person incapable of leading a church. Why is that?

Please post the passages of the Bible labeling homosex a sin.

Now, I've made this all as clear as possible. If you continue on your way, I will assume that your sole purpose is to irritate me, as nobody can possibly be stupid enough to misunderstand that as much as you claim to. Consider this the last response until you can actually reply to what I'm saying rather than what you want me to say to prove to yourself that I'm the hateful bigot you've painted me into because you believe the church is evil.
There you go, quick to anger oh pious one. Insult my intelligence because you disagree with me on the issue of intolerance. Very Christian of you. :eek:

Hagbard Celine said:
Okay, homosexuality is a sin, so why do certain sins get ignored or brushed aside but homosexuality is the only sin that renders you incapable of being a church leader? Many preachers get caught breaking the church law, stealing money or being a drunk or committing adultery, but homosexuality is the one thing that completely renders a person incapable of leading a church. Why is that?

....it's only that way in your mind. Here's what you can't understand...Homosexuality is a continuing sin. ANY sin, without repentence, is a reason to remove a 'figure' from a church staff.

There you go, quick to anger oh pious one. Insult my intelligence because you disagree with me on the issue of intolerance. Very Christian of you. :eek:

There YOU Go, using somebody's faith against them. As if you know what IS 'very Christian'....

Hagbard Celine said:

You are dead wrong. Adultery will topple a church leader in an instant - I've seen it firsthand. Theft, or even inadequate management of funds can also get a pastor fired. The only reason you always read about homosexuality in the church is because a) it's a hot-button issue, and b) there are churches who deny that homosexuality is a sin.

I'm too lazy to Google and post, but off the top of my head, try Romans ch. 1. There are also a couple of passages in Leviticus and a couple in 1 Corinthians.

gop_jeff said:
You are dead wrong. Adultery will topple a church leader in an instant - I've seen it firsthand. Theft, or even inadequate management of funds can also get a pastor fired. The only reason you always read about homosexuality in the church is because a) it's a hot-button issue, and b) there are churches who deny that homosexuality is a sin.

I'm too lazy to Google and post, but off the top of my head, try Romans ch. 1. There are also a couple of passages in Leviticus and a couple in 1 Corinthians.

1 Cor 6:9. Look it up.

dmp said:
absolutely. :)

re: comparing a gay person to a klansmen.

I'm nausiated everytime I see such bullshit..."How can you COMPARE a Gay man to a Racist!" said in shock.

it's easy.

It's easy to compare LOTS of things, and really is no big deal.

Let's compare a gay man to a dog.

Gay man: Human
dog: Canine

Now, let's compare a gay man to a hurricane.

Gay man: Wearing pink capri pants.
Hurricane: Force of nature with very powerful wind

Now, Let's compare a gay man to...Uranus

Gay man: Enjoys having sex with other men.
Uranus: Very distant planet

What's the problem? His illustration was correct - Placing somebody in a position in an organization which has beliefs CONTRARY to that person's lifestyle or beliefs isn't appropriate.

But one must be able to distingush as to whether those comparisons are valid or not. You, apparently, are not.

Bullypulpit said:
But one must be able to distingush as to whether those comparisons are valid or not. You, apparently, are not.

Of course the comparisons are valid. They COMPARE. Geesh.

Because two things can be compared, does NOT mean they are 'related'. This really shouldn't be difficult. :soul: :soul: :soul: :soul: :soul: :soul: :soul: :soul:

Mr. P said:
Ya see, even folks of the same faith can't get along, there's no hope. :cry:
That's exactly the problem...they aren't trying to live by their faith in a higher authority. They are trying to hash it out by what is right in their own eyes.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
dmp said:
Of course the comparisons are valid. They COMPARE. Geesh.

Because two things can be compared, does NOT mean they are 'related'. This really shouldn't be difficult. :soul: :soul: :soul: :soul: :soul: :soul: :soul: :soul:

I agree. it shouldnt be difficult. but it is.

A comparison can be valid without there being much point to doing the comparison. Heck the left has been trying to Compare President Bush to Hitler since 2000 and there is just as little reasoning for that as anything else mentioned in this thread so far.

The ClayTaurus said:
Just like the argument that you shouldn't compare the gay rights struggle with the civil rights struggle.

Gays have never been denied any civil rights. They have always been allowed their chance to vote. The fact that their extreme positions don't win doesn't mean they are being denied their civil rights. They still have their rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Of course because of their choices they have severely shortened their life expectancy, brought themselves into bondage to their desires, and eliminated any chance for happiness they could possibly have. But neither the government nor the people have prevented gays from exercing their civil rights. So your whole argument is moot.

Gays have never been denied any civil rights. They have always been allowed their chance to vote. The fact that their extreme positions don't win doesn't mean they are being denied their civil rights. They still have their rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Of course because of their choices they have severely shortened their life expectancy, brought themselves into bondage to their desires, and eliminated any chance for happiness they could possibly have. But neither the government nor the people have prevented gays from exercing their civil rights. So your whole argument is moot.

What argument is that?

This whole thing reminds me of a great verse.

Proverbs said:
15 The way of a fool seems right to him,
but a wise man listens to advice.

16 A fool shows his annoyance at once,
but a prudent man overlooks an insult.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp

Forum List

Back