Methodist Church Defrocks Lesbian Minister

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
The Methodist Church got this one right.

-----

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The highest court within the United Methodist Church defrocked a lesbian minister Monday for violating the denomination's ban on "self-avowed, practicing homosexual" clergy.

The nine-member Judicial Council — seven of whom heard the case Thursday in Houston — issued the ruling through its Web site. The denomination's communications office is based in Nashville.

A church panel decided in December that the Rev. Irene "Beth" Stroud, 35, by being in a lesbian partnership, engaged in practices that the church has declared incompatible with Christian teachings.

The panel's decision was overturned by the Northeast Jurisdiction Committee on Appeals, but the Judicial Council backed the original ruling.

The Judicial Council ruled Monday that the appeals committee "erred in reversing and setting aside the verdict and penalty from Rev. Stroud's trial."

Thomas Hall, counsel for the United Methodist Church said the decision provides some relief, but is "not the end of this whole conversation."

"An issue like this takes so much energy on both sides, and takes the focus off a lot of the great things the church is doing," Hall said. "This gives us some space so we can hopefully channel our energies into the great things we're doing." The UMC is the nation's third-largest denomination.

Stroud, who became an associate pastor at Philadelphia's First United Methodist Church of Germantown in 1999, has said she never revealed her sexual orientation in documents related to her ordination, but didn't keep it a secret.

She said she decided to come out in 2003 because she felt she was being held back in her faith by not sharing the complete truth about her life. A complaint was filed against her last year.

"I thought I was prepared for anything, but still the news came as a blow," Stroud said in a phone interview. "It's a sad day for me and for my family and for my congregation and, I think, a sad day for the United Methodist Church."

Stroud will continue as a lay staff member at her congregation, preaching, supervising children's and youth work and conducting pastoral visits. She told the congregation Sunday that she and her partner are applying to be foster parents.

"There's really no question that the United Methodist Church practices discrimination. That's been made abundantly clear," she said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,174020,00.html

GotZoom said:
"There's really no question that the United Methodist Church practices discrimination. That's been made abundantly clear," she said.

All churches practice "discrimination" in the sense that they expect their clergy to do outrageous things like follow denominational rules, follow the Bible, etc.

It is truly amazing that someone could expect to be a practicing homosexual and still be an ordained Christian minister. The concept of repentance and submission to God's will is becoming more and more rare. :(

gop_jeff said:
All churches practice "discrimination" in the sense that they expect their clergy to do outrageous things like follow denominational rules, follow the Bible, etc.

It is truly amazing that someone could expect to be a practicing homosexual and still be an ordained Christian minister. The concept of repentance and submission to God's will is becoming more and more rare. :(

Yeah, I mean, if your organization says that homosexuality is a sin, how you could expect them to not be discriminatory against that is kind of a stretch.

My company refuses to hire non-US citizens due to most of our contracts being US government based. How... discriminatory.

This is why I'm glad to be Catholic.

Say what you will about the Vatican and the Papacy, but they don't go for PC trends.

gop_jeff said:

Well if they are a practicing homosexual I can see their beef. What is their stance on practicing heteros?

i run an architectural office and will only hire architects....to be an architect you need to go to university for 4-5 years then work for 3-4 then pass the "architects bar" ..... so we are a mostly wealth, mostly well educated, mostly male mostly white profession....racist bastards

theim said:

Say what you will about the Vatican and the Papacy, but they don't go for PC trends.

Not bad for the most part, although they have an "open borders" stance that drives me nuts.

theim said:

Yeah...if I were a member of the Catholic Church I would appreciate them not bending for political correctness. I would also be outraged that they are involved in covering up child molestation cases and that THE FUCKING POPE helped cover some of it up a few years back. Absolutely sickening.

Powerman said:
Yeah...if I were a member of the Catholic Church I would appreciate them not bending for political correctness. I would also be outraged that they are involved in covering up child molestation cases and that THE FUCKING POPE helped cover some of it up a few years back. Absolutely sickening.

But you are not.

Kathianne said:
But you are not.

Haha. Kat as much as I disagree with you you're pretty cool

I'm not but I WAS. And there are plenty of reasons that I am no longer a member. That just gives me one less reason to go back.

I noticed you didn't defend his actions because there is no way you possibly could. But luckily for me I realize that Catholics don't approve of it. But what bothers me is how people aren't completely outraged about it and demand some answers and change. It seems to get completely swept under the rug and the members of the Catholic Church are at least partially to blame for letting it happen.

But I guess religion isn't a democracy so you can't demand that your child molesting cover up sick fucking pope be held accountable for his actions. All you can really do is live your life the best way you can and be a good Christian. Ah it makes me sick. Good people like yourself deserve much better.

Powerman said:
Well if they are a practicing homosexual I can see their beef. What is their stance on practicing heteros?

It's the Methodist church, so their ministers can marry, and as long as ministers are only practicing heteros with the people they're married to, it's fine. I think there's a rule against divorce and remarriage, though. (Jesus did say that was adultery)

Powerman said:

I'm pretty sure, with your Catholic education, that you know the answer to that question.

Hobbit said:
It's the Methodist church, so their ministers can marry, and as long as ministers are only practicing heteros with the people they're married to, it's fine. I think there's a rule against divorce and remarriage, though. (Jesus did say that was adultery)

What's your denomination?

Forum List

Back