Methodist Church Defrocks Lesbian Minister

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by GotZoom, Oct 31, 2005.

1. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    The Methodist Church got this one right.

-----

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The highest court within the United Methodist Church defrocked a lesbian minister Monday for violating the denomination's ban on "self-avowed, practicing homosexual" clergy.

The nine-member Judicial Council — seven of whom heard the case Thursday in Houston — issued the ruling through its Web site. The denomination's communications office is based in Nashville.

A church panel decided in December that the Rev. Irene "Beth" Stroud, 35, by being in a lesbian partnership, engaged in practices that the church has declared incompatible with Christian teachings.

The panel's decision was overturned by the Northeast Jurisdiction Committee on Appeals, but the Judicial Council backed the original ruling.

The Judicial Council ruled Monday that the appeals committee "erred in reversing and setting aside the verdict and penalty from Rev. Stroud's trial."

Thomas Hall, counsel for the United Methodist Church said the decision provides some relief, but is "not the end of this whole conversation."

"An issue like this takes so much energy on both sides, and takes the focus off a lot of the great things the church is doing," Hall said. "This gives us some space so we can hopefully channel our energies into the great things we're doing." The UMC is the nation's third-largest denomination.

Stroud, who became an associate pastor at Philadelphia's First United Methodist Church of Germantown in 1999, has said she never revealed her sexual orientation in documents related to her ordination, but didn't keep it a secret.

She said she decided to come out in 2003 because she felt she was being held back in her faith by not sharing the complete truth about her life. A complaint was filed against her last year.

"I thought I was prepared for anything, but still the news came as a blow," Stroud said in a phone interview. "It's a sad day for me and for my family and for my congregation and, I think, a sad day for the United Methodist Church."

Stroud will continue as a lay staff member at her congregation, preaching, supervising children's and youth work and conducting pastoral visits. She told the congregation Sunday that she and her partner are applying to be foster parents.

"There's really no question that the United Methodist Church practices discrimination. That's been made abundantly clear," she said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,174020,00.html

2. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    All churches practice "discrimination" in the sense that they expect their clergy to do outrageous things like follow denominational rules, follow the Bible, etc.

It is truly amazing that someone could expect to be a practicing homosexual and still be an ordained Christian minister. The concept of repentance and submission to God's will is becoming more and more rare. :(

3. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Yeah, I mean, if your organization says that homosexuality is a sin, how you could expect them to not be discriminatory against that is kind of a stretch.

My company refuses to hire non-US citizens due to most of our contracts being US government based. How... discriminatory.

4. deaddude

deaddude Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Statement retracted.

5. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Not true. Look up Romans Ch. 1. It talks about both.

6. deaddude

deaddude Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Fantastic, I retract my previous statement.

7. theim

theim Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +234
    This is why I'm glad to be Catholic.

Say what you will about the Vatican and the Papacy, but they don't go for PC trends.

8. Powerman

Powerman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39

Well if they are a practicing homosexual I can see their beef. What is their stance on practicing heteros?

9. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    i run an architectural office and will only hire architects....to be an architect you need to go to university for 4-5 years then work for 3-4 then pass the "architects bar" ..... so we are a mostly wealth, mostly well educated, mostly male mostly white profession....racist bastards

10. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Not bad for the most part, although they have an "open borders" stance that drives me nuts.