Meth Wars: Just Say No...How Reagan WH & GOP killed best weapon in fight

So the Reagan Admin and the GOP controlled Congress that shilled (along with a few Dems) for Big Pharma killed off the best tool (proven to work in war against Quaaludes) in the US arsenal?

For profits and donations? Winning is everything? Party over Nation?

The Quaalude Lesson | The Meth Epidemic | FRONTLINE | PBS

Interviews - Gene Haislip | The Meth Epidemic | FRONTLINE | PBS

Transcript | The Meth Epidemic | FRONTLINE | PBS

---

NARRATOR:
In 1986, at Haislip's urging, Republican senator Bob Dole introduced a bill to require distributors of ephedrine and pseudoephedrine to check the identities of their customers and to make their sales records available to the DEA.

Read more: Transcript | The Meth Epidemic | FRONTLINE | PBS

NARRATOR:
But the meeting did not end well for Haislip. The pharmaceutical industry made it clear to him that it wanted the bill amended to exempt cold medicine. And the White House made it clear that it expected him to work out a deal. Haislip decided he had no choice but to agree to the loophole.

Read more: Transcript | The Meth Epidemic | FRONTLINE | PBS

---

Calling Dr. House: I know what you did.
:eusa_shhh:

You can walk down to Walgreen's and get everything you need to make meth. Do you realize how stupid you look claiming Reagan caused the meth epidemic because he didn't pursue a policy that would not work in the first place?

You can walk down to Walgreen's and get everything you need to make meth.

That's the problem. Given opportunities to regulate the sale and distribution of ephedrine an pseudoephedrine, administrations and legislatures equivocated, lied and rejected attempts to do so.

Really? Now that it is all but impossible to actually buy a perfectly legal drug because someone makes tins of money off of drug wars how is it helping anyone?

You can walk down to Walgreen's and get everything you need to make meth.

That's the problem. Given opportunities to regulate the sale and distribution of ephedrine an pseudoephedrine, administrations and legislatures equivocated, lied and rejected attempts to do so.

Really? Now that it is all but impossible to actually buy a perfectly legal drug because someone makes tins of money off of drug wars how is it helping anyone?

All but impossible? I buy pseuodephedrin about once a month.

Now that it's become such a hot drug thanks to a very small cartel, they have of course found venues for illegally shipping ephedrin into the country.

When they were buying it by the barrel from one of 9 worldwide suppliers, perhaps we should have taken steps to prevent the purchases or shipments?

All but impossible? I buy pseuodephedrin about once a month.

Now that it's become such a hot drug thanks to a very small cartel, they have of course found venues for illegally shipping ephedrin into the country.

When they were buying it by the barrel from one of 9 worldwide suppliers, perhaps we should have taken steps to prevent the purchases or shipments?

Try buying a two month supply sometime.

I was surprised in the last 70s to discover that TEDRAL (Theophylline) was legally obtainable in New York.

Theophylline, ephedrine, and phenobarbital combination is used to treat the symptoms of bronchialasthma

The fact is that a lot of over the counter meds are addictive and toxic.

Meanwhile POT (which is neither addictive nor toxic) is treated as a CLASS A drug

---

You can walk down to Walgreen's and get everything you need to make meth. Do you realize how stupid you look claiming Reagan caused the meth epidemic because he didn't pursue a policy that would not work in the first place?

and if you knew what you were yapping about you'd know the reason "You can walk down to Walgreen's and get everything you need to make meth" is because of what happened when regulation/laws were proposed.

And I did not blame Reagan White House alone.

too dumb to delve into the facts?

:eusa_whistle:

I see, you think we should outlaw a perfectly legal substance because some people use it to make drugs. Reagan obviously should have made acetone and iodine illegal also, just to be safe.

---

I agree with you. You can't fault Ronnie for the basic fact that people want to get high.

I don't think Meth and cocaine should be legal (I have no problem with legalizing Marijuana and making MDMA/Ecstasy available for prescription), but at some point, you can't prevent bad behavior.

I was surprised in the last 70s to discover that TEDRAL (Theophylline) was legally obtainable in New York.

Theophylline, ephedrine, and phenobarbital combination is used to treat the symptoms of bronchialasthma

The fact is that a lot of over the counter meds are addictive and toxic.

Meanwhile POT (which is neither addictive nor toxic) is treated as a CLASS A drug

Alcohol is also addictive and toxic. What is your point?

Forum List

Back