METAL

The top metal act in the US during the '70's and early '80's was NYC's Blue Öyster Cult. One of the tightest bands of any era, and known for their amazing live shows complete with a laser show second to none, the group churned out an impressive list of metal music.
From their album Fire of Unknown Origin, this is a remastered live performance of Veteran of the Psychic Wars. You may recognize it from the film Heavy Metal. Watch one of the best guitar solos ever as Buck Dharma thrashes it:

I really wouldn't consider them metal nowadays. Classic rock is what they are now. I like them though. My favorite song of theirs . . . Godzilla of course!

The top metal act in the US during the '70's and early '80's was NYC's Blue Öyster Cult. One of the tightest bands of any era, and known for their amazing live shows complete with a laser show second to none, the group churned out an impressive list of metal music.
From their album Fire of Unknown Origin, this is a remastered live performance of Veteran of the Psychic Wars. You may recognize it from the film Heavy Metal. Watch one of the best guitar solos ever as Buck Dharma thrashes it:

I really wouldn't consider them metal nowadays. Classic rock is what they are now. I like them though. My favorite song of theirs . . . Godzilla of course!

Possibly, probably maybe, back in the day, before the term "heavy metal" was coined, BOC and the genre were referred to as "hard rock". Around 1980 or so, they and their ilk migrated from the hard rock racks at the record store to the heavy metal rack. I consider them heavy metal, though pretty much all of the NWOBHM bands are now considered classic rock as well, no matter what they were thought of as being back in the day.
Godzilla still rocks, and at the end of the day, that is all that really matters.
Another BOC fav of mine:
From the Secret Treaties album, this is a live version of Flaming Telepaths, pirated on 10/16/76, live:

Possibly, probably maybe, back in the day, before the term "heavy metal" was coined, BOC and the genre were referred to as "hard rock". Around 1980 or so, they and their ilk migrated from the hard rock racks at the record store to the heavy metal rack. I consider them heavy metal, though pretty much all of the NWOBHM bands are now considered classic rock as well, no matter what they were thought of as being back in the day.
Godzilla still rocks, and at the end of the day, that is all that really matters.
Another BOC fav of mine:
From the Secret Treaties album, this is a live version of Flaming Telepaths, pirated on 10/16/76, live:

Sure, and let's talk about how the HoF classifies different genres. Lol. I believe that I read somewhere that they had classified Jethro Tull as "hard rock." :lol: Must be the flute.

Forum List

Back