Metal?

I don't come to the music section much, so I missed this thread.

Let's see, a lot of good 80s/90s thrash stuff. I started off with hair metal, Quiet Riot Metal Health was one of the first albums I ever owned. I moved on to thrash stuff, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, etc. Eventually I got into death metal, Cannibal Corpse and Deicide being the big ones. After that I found metalcore, All That Remains, As I Lay Dying. Nowadays I listen to a decent variety of metal types.

It's good to see some Opeth love. Great band, love their use of mixed musical styles. Another band that mixes styles in a fun way is Dark Lunacy, although they aren't on the level of Opeth, nor do they make use of the combination of clean and growling vocals that Opeth used to.

I am a fan of female vocalists in metal. Back in the day, my favorite female metal vocalist was Dawn Crosby from the band Fear of God. I still love listening to her from their first album.

If it isn't obvious, I'm posting some of the less common stuff I listen to. In that vein, I'll go back to female vocalists and put on two more bands. The first is Madder Mortem, my favorite current band with a female vocalist.

And in the spirit of the poster who put up a Babymetal song (I smile every time I see their stuff, particularly Doki Doki Morning), here's a Japanese band called Dazzle Vision. Another youtube band I found somewhat randomly. Some of their stuff doesn't appeal to me, but when they are good I really enjoy them. I find the mix of Japanese and English language lyrics odd, but I've read that's not uncommon.

Let's see, a lot of good 80s/90s thrash stuff. I started off with hair metal, Quiet Riot Metal Health was one of the first albums I ever owned. I moved on to thrash stuff, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, etc. Eventually I got into death metal, Cannibal Corpse and Deicide being the big ones. After that I found metalcore, All That Remains, As I Lay Dying. Nowadays I listen to a decent variety of metal types.

It's good to see some Opeth love. Great band, love their use of mixed musical styles. Another band that mixes styles in a fun way is Dark Lunacy, although they aren't on the level of Opeth, nor do they make use of the combination of clean and growling vocals that Opeth used to.

Some of the music is actually pretty good. I just cannot get into the "growling." :lol:

Some of the music is actually pretty good. I just cannot get into the "growling." :lol:

Try it with jarring, sudden changes in tempo! :p

I sometimes enjoy some off-time, jarring changes in music. Gojira and Meshuggah are a couple of bands I like that do some of it. That band, Deeds Of Flesh, and that album in particular, are fairly extreme with it. They do it in such a way that I like it, though. It's something far too easy to do badly. :lol:

Try it with jarring, sudden changes in tempo! :p

I sometimes enjoy some off-time, jarring changes in music. Gojira and Meshuggah are a couple of bands I like that do some of it. That band, Deeds Of Flesh, and that album in particular, are fairly extreme with it. They do it in such a way that I like it, though. It's something far too easy to do badly. :lol:

Meh, this is just not something I would listen to. :D I really just don't like death metal much. I do enjoy Metallica sometimes, but they are quite "light" compared to some of this stuff. :lol: You know, this is about as heavy as it gets for my liking . . .

At first I despised this album... but then I really grew to appreciate how dark and beautiful it is...

My top songs off Opeth's Watershed...

So many years ago metal was the best music but now... Depressive only - Nocturnal Depression, Gris, Pensies Nocturnum, Cragataska...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back