Message Board Scam Artists

I need a new set of golf clubs. My game would lose three strokes and my handicap would greatly improve with a new set of PING G2's. Any assistance the members of this board might be willing to give would be greatly appreciated. :D

I need a new set of golf clubs. My game would lose three strokes and my handicap would greatly improve with a new set of PING G2's. Any assistance the members of this board might be willing to give would be greatly appreciated. :D
What a good idea, I was planning on buying some new clubs at the end of the month now I will just ask for some donations.

I've seen this happen on a number of boards. Even if I develop friendships with people on boards, I would never fork over any money unless I could be convinced that the story was true. I saw a woman post a story about her home being destroyed in a well-publicized tornado. The tornado was real and did kill dozens of people but this woman was just hanging on the coattails of the story and adding her own personal spin but as is the case with any liar, the more she got into the details, the less they fit into the puzzle and when confronted about the story, she disappeared along with the money some people had already donated.

You're going to have to sell it a little bit better than that. :razz:

This year, our school special olympics is really short of funs....they are asking the parents to donate $5 to pay for trophies so each kid can get one. I'm giving them a check for $20 to pay for 3 kids who's parents can't afford it. Anyone wants to donate, contact me, I promise it will go to the special olympics. If you want to be sure, contact your local school district and give to THEIR special olympics program. Things are getting tougher every year and it seems these kids are getting the short end of the stick.

You're going to have to sell it a little bit better than that. :razz:

If people here didn't know what I do for a living it would be an easier sell.

On another message board, there was one in particular like that. Everyday was just another impossible situation for her. She did get money from a couple of people. I really don't like being cynical and sending someone $20 would not kill me but there is something nutty about her anyway. I really wasn't motivated to help her and I didn't want her to feel she could come back for more.

It's an interesting phenomenon online:

Munchausen by Internet:
Faking Illness Online

Online Support for People with Illness - The Internet is a medium of choice for millions of people who need health-related information. Medical websites have multiplied exponentially over the past several years. Thousands of virtual support groups have sprung up for those suffering from particular illnesses. Whether formatted as chat rooms, as newsgroups, or in other ways, they offer patients and families the chance to share their hopes, fears, and knowledge with others experiencing life as they are. These online groups can counter isolation and serve as bastions of understanding, deep concern, and even affection.

Unfortunately, cyberspace resources are sometimes deliberately misused by people intent on deceiving others. False product claims in spam are perhaps the best-known example. But even in the relative intimacy of health support groups, individuals may choose to mislead others by pretending to have illnesses they do not. They divert the attention of the group toward their feigned battles with cancer, multiple sclerosis, anorexia nervosa, or other ailments. The eventual discovery of the deceptions can be devastating. One group member called it "emotional rape" to have cared so deeply about a person who lied to her and others from his first post on.

Munchausen by Internet: Faking Illness Online

Damn you EZ.

I spend the last 12 years setting you people up for the long grift for Rosetta and you come along and wreck it for me.

Now what am I going to do with that 30,000 page honey trap I and my minions so tediously created in order to ensnare the gullible out of their pennies?

It's useless!

Now I have go back to grifting old people by selling them motor oil repatching for their driveways.

This really annoys me so much I'm about ready to turn straight and just get a job that doesn't require any intelligence or heavy lifting.

I wonder if there's any opening with the local gerdarmes?

Those boys round here don't do shit and they get health care!

Well... believe it or not... my family is filthy rich. We have so much money that generations to come would never have to work if they didn't want to. My early ancestors were land barons, and as the price of land went up, the more money we made. Now we still own several hundred thousand acres of land in 27 different states worth an estimated half a billion dollars, and there's everything from businesses and farms and ranches leasing our land, as well as rental homes, apartments, duplexes and condos. The government even pays us to do nothing with some of it. Money.... ppphht.... I've never had to worry about it.

Last edited:
Well... believe it or not... my family is filthy rich. We have so much money that generations to come would never have to work if they didn't want to. My early ancestors were land barons, and as the price of land went up, the more money we made. Now we still own several hundred thousand acres of land in 27 different states worth an estimated half a billion dollars, and there's everything from businesses and farms and ranches leasing our land, as well as rental homes, apartments, duplexes and condos. The government even pays us to do nothing with some of it. Money.... ppphht.... I've never had to worry about it.

Wanna donate to my golf club fund?

Forum List

Back