Merry X-Mas, Middle Class! House Republicans Just Voted To Raise Your Taxes By $1000

Flaylo

Handsome Devil
Feb 10, 2010
In some grass near you
Tom McMahon: Merry Christmas, Middle Class! House Republicans Just Voted To Raise Your Taxes By $1,000

For those of you keeping track at home of the payroll tax cut holiday -- you can stop. In the battle over the House GOP's ever-shifting goal posts on the payroll tax cut extension, Speaker Boehner has tried desperately to muddy the water about the fact that his Tea-partying GOP colleagues simply do not want to extend the payroll tax holiday for middle-class Americans no matter what. And that's exactly what happened when the House Republicans rejected the bipartisan Senate deal to continue these middle-class tax cuts.

The Republican-led U.S. House shot down legislation that was passed with overwhelming bi-partisan support in the Senate on Saturday to prevent the average American family from incurring a $1,000 tax hike by extending the payroll tax holiday by two months.

So, contrary to the House GOP's oft-repeated line for the TV cameras that they don't "believe in raising taxes on anyone," they've done just that -- voted to raise taxes on 160 million Americans.

House Majority Leader Cantor wrote on his official website just days ago: "House Republicans will not support raising taxes on anyone." Congressional Republicans always forget to add that they don't really count the middle-class; by "anyone," they just mean millionaires and corporations.

So fucking true. They slammed the nail in their own coffins trying to play political chicken.

When was the vote? can you link us to who voted which way? I'd like to see it.

Actually... it's no more of a tax increase than letting the Bush tax cuts expire are. That's propaganda... both sides use it. Just out of curiosity... that $1500/taxpayer? Goes to the SS fund. How are we going to make that money up? I mean, I WANT my Social Security when I turn 65. In fact, I'll NEED it.

Don't get me wrong... I'm all for helping the working and Middle Class.... I'm very outspoken on that. But hamstringing SS isn't the way to do it. I didn't think it was wise last year, I don't think it's wise this year.

Sen. Scott Brown (R- Mass.) denounced House Republicans for rejecting a payroll tax cut deal on Tuesday, and accused his colleagues of putting politics before the needs of American families.

"It angers me that House Republicans would rather continue playing politics than find solutions," Brown said in a statement released shortly after the House voted to block the bipartisan bill. "Their actions will hurt American families and be detrimental to our fragile economy. We are Americans first; now is not the time for drawing lines in the sand."

The Senate bill would have prevented the payroll tax cut from expiring on January 1, 2012 by ensuring a two-month extension. Republicans in the House opposed to the bill argued in favor of a year-long extension or no extension at all, claiming that approving a bill for just two months would create uncertainty.

Brown's criticism followed harsh comments he made on Monday, when he called the GOP's refusal to compromise "irresponsible and wrong."

Scott Brown Denounces House Republicans Over Payroll Tax Cut Deal

Sen. Scott Brown (R- Mass.) denounced House Republicans for rejecting a payroll tax cut deal on Tuesday, and accused his colleagues of putting politics before the needs of American families.

"It angers me that House Republicans would rather continue playing politics than find solutions," Brown said in a statement released shortly after the House voted to block the bipartisan bill. "Their actions will hurt American families and be detrimental to our fragile economy. We are Americans first; now is not the time for drawing lines in the sand."

The Senate bill would have prevented the payroll tax cut from expiring on January 1, 2012 by ensuring a two-month extension. Republicans in the House opposed to the bill argued in favor of a year-long extension or no extension at all, claiming that approving a bill for just two months would create uncertainty.

Brown's criticism followed harsh comments he made on Monday, when he called the GOP's refusal to compromise "irresponsible and wrong."

Their inability to control the Teabastards in the House is costing them big time.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said the failure of the House to approve the bipartisan Senate bill to extend the payroll-tax cut is “harming the Republican Party.”

Speaking Tuesday on CNN’s “Situation Room,” McCain said that while it’s inevitable that the tax cut will ultimately be extended, the infighting reflects poorly on Republicans and Congress as a whole.

“It is harming the Republican Party. It is harming the view, if it’s possible anymore, of the American people about Congress,” McCain said. “We’ve got to get this resolved and with the realization that the payroll-tax cut must remain in effect.”

McCain: Payroll-tax fight

Tom McMahon: Merry Christmas, Middle Class! House Republicans Just Voted To Raise Your Taxes By $1,000

For those of you keeping track at home of the payroll tax cut holiday -- you can stop. In the battle over the House GOP's ever-shifting goal posts on the payroll tax cut extension, Speaker Boehner has tried desperately to muddy the water about the fact that his Tea-partying GOP colleagues simply do not want to extend the payroll tax holiday for middle-class Americans no matter what. And that's exactly what happened when the House Republicans rejected the bipartisan Senate deal to continue these middle-class tax cuts.

The Republican-led U.S. House shot down legislation that was passed with overwhelming bi-partisan support in the Senate on Saturday to prevent the average American family from incurring a $1,000 tax hike by extending the payroll tax holiday by two months.

So, contrary to the House GOP's oft-repeated line for the TV cameras that they don't "believe in raising taxes on anyone," they've done just that -- voted to raise taxes on 160 million Americans.

House Majority Leader Cantor wrote on his official website just days ago: "House Republicans will not support raising taxes on anyone." Congressional Republicans always forget to add that they don't really count the middle-class; by "anyone," they just mean millionaires and corporations.

So fucking true. They slammed the nail in their own coffins trying to play political chicken.

It's not a tax hike....
It's the tax rate returning to where it should be...Just like the expiration of the Bush tax cuts NOT being a tax hike right Libs... :D

It's not a tax hike....
It's the tax rate returning to where it should be...Just like the expiration of the Bush tax cuts NOT being a tax hike right Libs... :D

yeah... guess you didn't bother to read my post.

With today’s vote in the House, GOP leaders are calling on senators to return from their holiday break to resolve their differences and pass a full-year extension of the payroll tax cut, which benefits the average American worker about $1,000 a year. The Senate’s bill also extends jobless benefits for the long-term unemployed and protects doctors from a scheduled 27 percent decrease in Medicare reimbursement rates.

moron.

HOW MANY damn threads do we need on this SAME TOPIC.

In everyone we see the Liberals showing their stupidity.

They DON'T CARE that the Democrats are playing them...so long as they can crow about how this is ALL the Republicans fault.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said the failure of the House to approve the bipartisan Senate bill to extend the payroll-tax cut is “harming the Republican Party.”

Speaking Tuesday on CNN’s “Situation Room,” McCain said that while it’s inevitable that the tax cut will ultimately be extended, the infighting reflects poorly on Republicans and Congress as a whole.

“It is harming the Republican Party. It is harming the view, if it’s possible anymore, of the American people about Congress,” McCain said. “We’ve got to get this resolved and with the realization that the payroll-tax cut must remain in effect.”

McCain: Payroll-tax fight

McCain's statements...
“We’ve got to get this resolved and with the realization that the payroll-tax cut must remain in effect.”
Exactly what the GOP in the House is trying to accomplish.
“I think we have to recognize reality, and that is that we are not going to see the payroll-tax cut expire on the 1st of January, and we have to accommodate to that reality,” McCain said. “It would not be fair to the American people at this time, and so it seems to me that Republican leaders and [Senate Democratic Leader] Harry Reid [Nev.] and [House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio)] and [House Democratic Leader Nancy] Pelosi [Calif.] should sit down together with the administration and figure out a way through this
Again, exactly what the GOP in the House is trying to accomplish.

Actually... it's no more of a tax increase than letting the Bush tax cuts expire are. That's propaganda... both sides use it. Just out of curiosity... that $1500/taxpayer? Goes to the SS fund. How are we going to make that money up? I mean, I WANT my Social Security when I turn 65. In fact, I'll NEED it.

Don't get me wrong... I'm all for helping the working and Middle Class.... I'm very outspoken on that. But hamstringing SS isn't the way to do it. I didn't think it was wise last year, I don't think it's wise this year.

You must be close to full retirement age. At my age I don't see Social Security as anything but me paying into someone else's checks. I'm fairly certain by the time I reach retirement age Social Security will be a thing of the past. On a side note, my 401k lost 15% over the year--but it has gained a whopping 1% over the life of the account. Woooo Hoooo! :happy-1:

Forum List

Back