Merlin1047 in the Hospital

Pale Rider said:
Well Merlin1047... DAMN IT! If I had to pick a board's top orator, it'd be YOU! Hearing this latest of your condition saddens my heart. My prayers are with you brother.

Attitude can play almost as significant of a role in ones health as the medicine. With that in mind, I expect you to whip the snot out of this luke-whatever stuff... :)

Thanks PR.

I have some fairly strong motivators to help me through. One of them is that I'm determined one day to get back on my Gold Wing and go outrun some Harley guys.

:teeth: :teeth:

After our scare this past Saturday (minor hemorrhage) we finally got a bit of good news today. Seems my platelet count is at 19 thousand - that's up from the 3 to 6 thousand where it had been. Still a long way from the normal level of 150 thousand, but at least we're moving in the right direction and the risk of hemorrhage is substantially reduced. White cell count is still way down at 0.5 (normal is 4.5 to 10.5), but from everything I've been told this is not unusual. It just means that we have to continue to be extremely paranoid regarding infection vectors.

My wife cracked me up at the doctor's office today. She has put so much energy and dedication into taking care of me that she has started answering questions regarding me in the plural. Time and again when asked what my symptoms were or what medication I was taking, she responded with "we're taking . . . " or "we're having . . . " She realized what she was doing and tried to quit, but kept doing it anyway. I think I'll keep the woman.

Merlin1047 said:
After our scare this past Saturday (minor hemorrhage) we finally got a bit of good news today. Seems my platelet count is at 19 thousand - that's up from the 3 to 6 thousand where it had been. Still a long way from the normal level of 150 thousand, but at least we're moving in the right direction and the risk of hemorrhage is substantially reduced. White cell count is still way down at 0.5 (normal is 4.5 to 10.5), but from everything I've been told this is not unusual. It just means that we have to continue to be extremely paranoid regarding infection vectors.

My wife cracked me up at the doctor's office today. She has put so much energy and dedication into taking care of me that she has started answering questions regarding me in the plural. Time and again when asked what my symptoms were or what medication I was taking, she responded with "we're taking . . . " or "we're having . . . " She realized what she was doing and tried to quit, but kept doing it anyway. I think I'll keep the woman.

You dang well better keep her! She is your saving grace! That is such good news, keep it up or we'll have to slap ya! Seriously, take care of yourself.

Merlin1047 said:

Just so long as she isn't diagnosing you, you should be just fine! I'll gladly get out with you on two wheels when you are ready for a spin around the block...let me know, and I'll be there for you, man!

Talk with you later!

Merlin1047 said:

believe me, you'll need the humor. Laughing every day is actually beneficial to your condition.

i recommed heavy doses of Ron White, Larry the Cable Guy, Bill Engvall, and Jeff Foxworthy. Then follow up with Jim Breuer. If you want, I can locate my CDs (all of said comedians, plus some others) and copy them for you, @ no charge. PM me if you would like them.

fuzzykitten99 said:
believe me, you'll need the humor. Laughing every day is actually beneficial to your condition.

i recommed heavy doses of Ron White, Larry the Cable Guy, Bill Engvall, and Jeff Foxworthy. Then follow up with Jim Breuer. If you want, I can locate my CDs (all of said comedians, plus some others) and copy them for you, @ no charge. PM me if you would like them.

Fuzzy that is a great idea, and I can add Brian Reagan CD to that list!!

fuzzykitten99 said:

And don't forget Rodney Carrington and Dennis Leary. They're pretty funny. Some of their stuff is "adult" though. Not for the kiddies.

Fmr jarhead said:
Any updates on how Merlin is doing?
He's got another week or two before returning to the hospital for his second treatment. Both ( he & wife) have good days and bad.

Fmr jarhead said:
Any updates on how Merlin is doing?

Sorry, haven't checked the thread lately.

I'm feeling fairly decently the last four days. Energy level is up and I'm pretty ambulatory. A little hair has started falling out, but I didn't have all that much to begin with, so that's a never-mind.

My white cell count is still very depressed and the platelet count, which had been up a bit is back down again. We're hoping to hit the rebound point any day now and start seeing some improvement in both.

no1tovote4 said:
I wish I could give you some of mine.

Thanks, but we've come to the conclusion that there's not much point in that. Seems my antibodies object strenuously to foreign platelets and we've stopped infusion to see if they'll settle down and let my body begin to remanufacture its own.

Merlin1047 said:
Thanks, but we've come to the conclusion that there's not much point in that. Seems my antibodies object strenuously to foreign platelets and we've stopped infusion to see if they'll settle down and let my body begin to remanufacture its own.
Merlin...this is an aggressive treatment...any talk of making adjustments?
Hang in there, we're all pullin for ya.

Merlin1047 said:
Sorry, haven't checked the thread lately.

I'm feeling fairly decently the last four days. Energy level is up and I'm pretty ambulatory. A little hair has started falling out, but I didn't have all that much to begin with, so that's a never-mind.

My white cell count is still very depressed and the platelet count, which had been up a bit is back down again. We're hoping to hit the rebound point any day now and start seeing some improvement in both.
Gotta be hard, but keep positive. If there IS anything we can do/donate, let us know!

Tell the wife she is in my prayers too!

Mr. P said:
Merlin...this is an aggressive treatment...any talk of making adjustments?
Hang in there, we're all pullin for ya.

Probably a little soon to start second guessing. We'll see what develops over the next couple of weeks.

Kathianne said:
Gotta be hard, but keep positive. If there IS anything we can do/donate, let us know!

Tell the wife she is in my prayers too!

The white cell count, while still low, went up just a tiny fraction. The increase is insignificant, but it beats a decline.

Merlin1047 said:
The white cell count, while still low, went up just a tiny fraction. The increase is insignificant, but it beats a decline.
Everything starts somewhere!

Merlin1047 said:
Hang in there buddy. No retreat, No surrendur. Get yourself a kings or queens of comedy dvd and laugh hard. Enjoy yourself as much as physically possible. Prayers and best wishes. You'll beat this.

*shrug*

If he doesn't, we can hook him up with Bully 24/7 - that'll drive anyone to get better fast. :D

Forum List

Back