Merlin1047 in the Hospital

Mr. P

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2004
South of the Mason Dixon
Okay folks...I know some of you are aware of this, but most probably aren't.

After some hesitation and since no one else posted, I decided to...

Merlin1047 checked into the Hospital this a.m. for one week of chemo treatment, for leukemia.
He tells me he doesn't mind the board knowing, but doesn't want to seem as though
he's seeking pity, so he hasn't mentioned it...I understand that....BUT, we all are sort of family so....

Join me please, in best wishes and prayers for his recovery.

Mr. P

Well crap....tell the rotor head I am rootin for him. He better get back to normal soon or I will be upset!

Yes, I started praying for him last night, when he told me. I'm glad you asked Mr P, for I wondered if he'd want everyone to know, but was afraid to ask.

Best wishes and I know he's quite confident of a recovery.

My grandfather had leukemia, he went into remission and lived for 20 years more.... there is always hope....and my hopes and prayers are with you Merlin1047.... I wish you a speedy recovery and I look forward to seeing you posting again soon!

KarlMarx said:
My grandfather had leukemia, he went into remission and lived for 20 years more.... there is always hope....and my hopes and prayers are with you Merlin1047.... I wish you a speedy recovery and I look forward to seeing you posting again soon!

Cancer seems to skip a generation, and I could very well end up in Merlin1047's same affliction someday. And I pray for him.

Wow...

Attachments

• $214.jpg
    $214.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 62
Hi all,

First, thanks for all the thoughts and prayers, I want you to know they are appreciated and help a lot. We've received a great deal of support from friends and family and while I hate to be dependent on anyone (my obnoxious streak kicks in) these past few days have proven that you can't always go through life on your own terms and that sometimes you just have to have a little help from your friends.

Without getting into boring detail, after consulting with my doctor we decided to attack the leukemia utilizing the most aggressive protocol possible. The treatment schedule is from the Anderson Clinic in Houston TX and it involves a five day stay in the hospital while chemo is done almost continuously during that time. Following the chemo, I'm sent home to recover and allow white & red cell count to normalize and platelet count to increase. This process will be repeated a total of eight times. Hopefully sometime prior to or at the end of the last treatment, I should be in remission.

Right now my white cell and platelet counts are very low and I have to be paranoid about bleeding and infections. So I stay at home mostly and anyone who comes in has to wear a mask. My employer has been very supportive and I go into the office when I can and then only after normal duty hours. Wife goes with me and Lysols the place down before I go in. That's a hoot.

One big pleasant surprise so far has been that the nausea which usually accompanies chemotherapy has not been a factor for me. They administer several "pre-meds" and these have helped a great deal. I haven't barfed not even once. Whoopeee. Although I will admit that there are now certain things which turn my stomach - such as the odor of hospital foods expecially chicken. I don't know if that's the result of the chemo or the fact that the food in this particular hospital sucks - big time.

Right now I'm learning the definition of the word "limitations". I'm weak as a kitten, tire easily and have to take everything very slowly. It varies from day to day. Today's a good day, yesterday wasn't so hot.

If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to ask. If any good comes out of this, maybe it will be in helping others to know what to anticipate if they every have to deal with something like this.

Again, thanks for your thoughts and prayers. They're very much appreciated.

Merlin1047 said:
Hi all,

First, thanks for all the thoughts and prayers, I want you to know they are appreciated and help a lot. We've received a great deal of support from friends and family and while I hate to be dependent on anyone (my obnoxious streak kicks in) these past few days have proven that you can't always go through life on your own terms and that sometimes you just have to have a little help from your friends.

Without getting into boring detail, after consulting with my doctor we decided to attack the leukemia utilizing the most aggressive protocol possible. The treatment schedule is from the Anderson Clinic in Houston TX and it involves a five day stay in the hospital while chemo is done almost continuously during that time. Following the chemo, I'm sent home to recover and allow white & red cell count to normalize and platelet count to increase. This process will be repeated a total of eight times. Hopefully sometime prior to or at the end of the last treatment, I should be in remission.

Right now my white cell and platelet counts are very low and I have to be paranoid about bleeding and infections. So I stay at home mostly and anyone who comes in has to wear a mask. My employer has been very supportive and I go into the office when I can and then only after normal duty hours. Wife goes with me and Lysols the place down before I go in. That's a hoot.

One big pleasant surprise so far has been that the nausea which usually accompanies chemotherapy has not been a factor for me. They administer several "pre-meds" and these have helped a great deal. I haven't barfed not even once. Whoopeee. Although I will admit that there are now certain things which turn my stomach - such as the odor of hospital foods expecially chicken. I don't know if that's the result of the chemo or the fact that the food in this particular hospital sucks - big time.

Right now I'm learning the definition of the word "limitations". I'm weak as a kitten, tire easily and have to take everything very slowly. It varies from day to day. Today's a good day, yesterday wasn't so hot.

If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to ask. If any good comes out of this, maybe it will be in helping others to know what to anticipate if they every have to deal with something like this.

Again, thanks for your thoughts and prayers. They're very much appreciated.

Even thou you banned me for 24hrs in the past...I still pray and wish you the best...I beat skin cancer...and a parapalegic condition...so can you... all ya need is faith and the determination to beat the odds...best and God Bless!

:banned: Cancer that is!

Ah, Merlin, you'll kick the leukemia's ass! Sounds like the doctors are watching for secondary health issues like common colds, flu, etc, not just cancer issues.

I'm sure you know this, but I wanted to reiterate to you that if you experience any symptoms outside what you have been told to expect, call your doctor. Make sure they do ALL tests possible and such.

I watched my grandmother (who raised me) fight for 2 years with leukemia. She had retired only 3 months before she was diagnosed. Unfortunately, she came down with tuberculosis, and could not fight it off. She would have if she would not have been on an HMO program because they refused to pay for the test, as the condition mimicked that of severe bronchitis, and TB is very rare etc, so it was rendered unnecessary-fucking HMO's. By the time the HMO's said it was ok to test for tuberculosis, it was too late. For 6 months, they told her it was just bronchitis and gave her prescription after prescription. My aunt (grandma's daughter) finally brought her to the emergency room because she was coughing so hard, she was having a hard time breathing, and coughing up blood. My aunt is also a nurse, told them she would be suing for malpractice if the tests were not performed. They came back positive for TB. My grandmother spent 3 months in the hospital, and never made it home, because the secondary disease was not treated in time, and she had been in remission up until she got sick.

My granfather died of leukemia two days after I was born. That's why I myself worry about it every so often. But I don't mean to be negative, medical science has come a long way in the years I've been alive, and it's a good thing you're getting treatment now, Merlin. I pray for you, buddy!

Forum List

Back