Mental Problem Not Gun Problem

the fact still remains that guns can kill people

Yes, it is fact, a minor one considering all the weapons that can and do kill people. So do we learn anything from all the various means used to kill people? Maybe that it doesn't matter what the weapon is when a murder is about to occur??

This logic is just silly.

You can kill someone with water if you work hard enough at it and have a spare gurney, straps and 600 IV bags.

You can't kill someone at 50 meters with water or a knife or a weed wacker.

In fact, most people couldn't kill someone at 50 meters with an arrow.

There is a reason why people who have a motive to kill people go for a fire arm. It's the most efficient and lethal form of weapon that a common person can get their hands on.

I am not necessarily in favor of more firearms restrictions, but acting like "all weapons are created equal" is just absurd.

I don't know anything about guns, but I assume that assault weapons are rapid fire weapons as in machine guns. What purpose would a person get one of those except for a mass killing? YOu wouldn;t get that to defend yourself or kill a deer.

Why are those legal?

I don't know anything about guns, but I assume that assault weapons are rapid fire weapons as in machine guns.
Those are machineguns and/or assault rifles.
'Assault weapon" is a made-up legal term designed to confuse and scare people that don't know anything about guns.

What purpose would a person get one of those...?
The right to arms is all about killing people - and thus, 'those' are exactly the kinds of weapons that the 2nd was intended to protect.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about guns, but I assume that assault weapons are rapid fire weapons as in machine guns. What purpose would a person get one of those except for a mass killing? YOu wouldn;t get that to defend yourself or kill a deer.

Why are those legal?

I am not a gun person, but most "assault rifles" as the American public can own and purchase them these days are semi-automatic, which means the bullet automatically feeds into the chamber and it automatically cocks, but you have to pull the trigger every time you want to fire it and have magazines that hold 10 to 30 rounds at a time.

As for deer hunting, as someone I was arguing this with once said: "who said the 2nd amendment had anything to do with hunting"?

Again, I am not a pro-gun person, but both sides tend to get a little wacky with this argument.

Like most Americans, I am fine with the status quo.

I have never seen a gun jump up and point itself at a target and fire, not once.

You are right. Inanimate objects don't kill people. People who weld inanimate objects with the express purpose of killing people do kill people.

Obviously there is a reason people use firearms to kill other people. While it is silly to a degree to blame a weapon for the crimes someone else commits with it, to act like it's a non-entity in the discussion is also silly.

If all weapons were created equal, then a bat would be as good as a pistol for home defense.

We both know that's not true.

How about Rep Grajalva is going to bring a gun law bill to the floor?
How about Robert Brady wanting a law to stop Target signs that Palin put up?
This will not stop a mentally ill person

The more I listen to the left's rhetoric on this, the sorrier I feel for Gabby Giffords and the more grateful I become that I'm not a leftist. It must suck royally to have your own supposed allies gleefully stampeding over your bleeding body to launch political attacks. It's a damned pity they don't seem even half as concerned about her as a person as they are about her as a tool.

1,000,000 Americans have been killed by guns since 1960.

I will attack anyone at anytime who wants this madness to continue.

More people have been killed by cars, should we make them illegal? Sorry, sorry, you are a lefty and might think that is a good idea.

Many people have died of drownings, should we make any manmade water storage to be shallow, say under 1 foot deep so people will have a harder time drowning? Sorry, sorry, you are a lefty and might think that is a good idea.

People have been hurt with kitchen skillets, should we have background checks to purchase those? Sorry, sorry, you are a lefty and might think that is a good idea.

Gee, I can't think of anything that would infringe on freedom that the lefties would not like.

The more I listen to the left's rhetoric on this, the sorrier I feel for Gabby Giffords and the more grateful I become that I'm not a leftist. It must suck royally to have your own supposed allies gleefully stampeding over your bleeding body to launch political attacks. It's a damned pity they don't seem even half as concerned about her as a person as they are about her as a tool.

1,000,000 Americans have been killed by guns since 1960.

I will attack anyone at anytime who wants this madness to continue.

More people have been killed by cars, should we make them illegal? Sorry, sorry, you are a lefty and might think that is a good idea.

Many people have died of drownings, should we make any manmade water storage to be shallow, say under 1 foot deep so people will have a harder time drowning? Sorry, sorry, you are a lefty and might think that is a good idea.

People have been hurt with kitchen skillets, should we have background checks to purchase those? Sorry, sorry, you are a lefty and might think that is a good idea.

Gee, I can't think of anything that would infringe on freedom that the lefties would not like.

Again with the non sequiturs.

I suppose they serve to make a point to the statistically illiterate.

Yes, it is fact, a minor one considering all the weapons that can and do kill people. So do we learn anything from all the various means used to kill people? Maybe that it doesn't matter what the weapon is when a murder is about to occur??

You can kill someone with water if you work hard enough at it and have a spare gurney, straps and 600 IV bags.

There is a reason why people who have a motive to kill people go for a fire arm. It's the most efficient and lethal form of weapon that a common person can get their hands on.

I am not necessarily in favor of more firearms restrictions, but acting like "all weapons are created equal" is just absurd.

yes, guns are equalizers. You can protect yourself or your property from a person or group that would beat you, physically. That must be why those that lean left hate guns; guns protect "individual" rights (from the group).

yes, guns are equalizers. You can protect yourself or your property from a person or group that would beat you, physically. That must be why those that lean left hate guns; guns protect "individual" rights (from the group).

So we can stop acting like a gun is roughly equivalent to a knife, baseball bat, machete, weed whacker, or any other sharp object?

I think people on the "left hate guns", because they haven't been raised around them. The concept of a firearm is completely foreign to them as is the desire for anyone to have them.

You pro-gun folks are going to have a tough row to hoe as Americans move away from agrarian and towards urban cultures. Less and less people are going to see the need to firearms.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about guns, but I assume that assault weapons are rapid fire weapons as in machine guns.
'Assault weapon" is a made-up legal term designed to confuse and scare people that don't know anything about guns.

The right to arms is all about killing people - and thus, 'those' are exactly the kinds of weapons that the 2nd was intended to protect.

Rapid fire weapons that people know as machines where you hold your finger down on the trigger and the bullets keep flying is known as an "automatic"-not assault.

Why are those legal?

Have you seen the picture with the man with an assault weapon on the roof of his business? All the businesses around his are burning. There is a mob with torches in a semi-circle around his business. His business was the only one that was not destroyed during the riot. He did not need to kill anyone. His ability to protect his property was made possible with an assault weapon. That alone may have saved his family, his property and possibly his life.

If your wife or daughter was alone and stranded in a rough section, do you think you might feel a little bit better if you knew she was armed and had the knowledge/training to shoot? Or would you just hope that the next car that pulled up behind her was the police and not a car full of thugs?

Rapid fire weapons that people know as machines where you hold your finger down on the trigger and the bullets keep flying is known as an "automatic"-not assault.
WELL....
-All assault rifles are machineguns, but not all machineguns are assault rifles.
-No 'assault weapon' is a machingegun; no 'assault weapon' is an assault rifle.

There are far too many people - many of them politicians, law enforcement officers and members of the media - who use these terms as if the are interchangeable. Some of them don't know any better, some of them simply have an agenda and don't care, and some, botth.

Why are those legal?

Have you seen the picture with the man with an assault weapon on the roof of his business? All the businesses around his are burning. There is a mob with torches in a semi-circle around his business. His business was the only one that was not destroyed during the riot. He did not need to kill anyone. His ability to protect his property was made possible with an assault weapon. That alone may have saved his family, his property and possibly his life.

If your wife or daughter was alone and stranded in a rough section, do you think you might feel a little bit better if you knew she was armed and had the knowledge/training to shoot? Or would you just hope that the next car that pulled up behind her was the police and not a car full of thugs?
I carry an 'assault weapon' and a handgun in my car at all times.
Never know when TS will HTF.

WELL....
-All assault rifles are machineguns, but not all machineguns are assault rifles.

There are far too many people - many of them politicians, law enforcement officers and members of the media - who use these terms as if the are interchangeable. Some of them don't know any better, some of them simply have an agenda and don't care, and some, botth.

I never disputed that, what I meant was any gun in which you hold down the trigger, and the gun keeps firing (without having to physical let go of the trigger, then pull again), are known are automatics. That's how I read his question as asking?

WELL....

I never disputed that, what I meant was any gun in which you hold down the trigger, and the gun keeps firing (without having to physical let go of the trigger, then pull again), are known are automatics.
Yes. A few technical details aside, an -actual- automatic weapon fires for as long as the trigger is held and it has ammunition in whatever feeds it. This differed from semi-automatic, that requires an individual trigger pull for each round fired.

That's how I read his question as asking?
At this point I dont remember the actual text in question.

Here we go again with more gun laws or speech laws.
Why do the left keep trying to make more gun laws instead of getting right to the problem,which is this guy has a mental problem.
It is not a gun problem, it's a mental disorder and gun laws will not keep guns out of their hands. They need to be sent to a Mental Health facility.
How 'bout someone-like-this?​

Crosshairs on target, then ‘Lock and Load’…What Do You Expect? A Pillow Fight?

"As recently as June 12, 2010, leaflets appeared in Giffords' district proclaiming: "Get on Target" and help remove Gabrielle Giffords, "Shoot a fully automatic M16 with Jesse Kelly."

Jesse Kelly is a Marine veteran, and right-wing Republican who lost to Gifford November 4, by 48.8%-47%. Kelly was strongly supported by the Tea Party.

Salon.com named Kelly the Number 1 "most terrifying candidate" in the 2010 Congressional elections. He was criticized for taking funds and support from Americans for Legal Immigration [ALIPAC], an anti-immigrant group once denounced by Sen. John McCain's office as "white supremacists, neo-Nazis, and anti-semites." [The Hill, campaign blog, Oct. 26, 2010]. The Anti-Defamation League shared McCain's office view of ALIPAC."

He gets a "pass" (from criticism).....'cause he's a Vet????

:eusa_eh:

Forum List

Back