Mental illness

In 1975 while studying for my diploma in Behavioral Science, I read a book by Dr. Abram Hoffer telling me that schizophrenia could be cured by large amounts of niacin and vitamin C. Having been well indoctrinated by allopathic medicine in my training as a registered nurse, I really didn't believe it. However, I gave the book to my girlfriend whose son was diagnosed with schizophrenia as a young teenager. She also didn't believe it. Now, some 26 years later, with a son of mine diagnosed six years ago with the label of paranoid schizophrenia, through grace, I have come to know that schizophrenia, and other so-called mental illnesses are really biochemical imbalances which can be balanced with dietary changes and supplements. I now know, on looking back on my son's life, that he was biochemically imbalanced almost from his birth. In the past I felt sad and angry that I trusted allopathic medicine totally, without question. Now I just want the joy of telling everyone I can that THERE IS HOPE AND SCHIZOPHRENIA CAN BE CURED. IT IS A BIOCHEMICAL IMBALANCE.

SCHIZOPHRENIA - THERE IS HOPE AND SCHIZOPHRENIA CAN BE CURED. IT IS A BIOCHEMICAL IMBALANCE

I'm happy you've had a positive outcome in your family. I did not have one in mine. I completely disagree with your whole campaign to eliminate medication for people with psychiatric illness.

There are variations in people with these diagnoses and they are not 'so-called' mental illnesses. If you cared about others you would allow for the truth, that not all therapies work for all individuals and we would be aliies instead of enemies.

I suspect you get some kind of commission for herb sales.

first you total misrepresent my statements as a campaign to eliminate medication
and then insult me with some paranoid delusion that i receive commissions on herbs when at no point did i even mention herbs..thats pretty sick..give yer head a shake girl

In 1975 while studying for my diploma in Behavioral Science, I read a book by Dr. Abram Hoffer telling me that schizophrenia could be cured by large amounts of niacin and vitamin C. Having been well indoctrinated by allopathic medicine in my training as a registered nurse, I really didn't believe it. However, I gave the book to my girlfriend whose son was diagnosed with schizophrenia as a young teenager. She also didn't believe it. Now, some 26 years later, with a son of mine diagnosed six years ago with the label of paranoid schizophrenia, through grace, I have come to know that schizophrenia, and other so-called mental illnesses are really biochemical imbalances which can be balanced with dietary changes and supplements. I now know, on looking back on my son's life, that he was biochemically imbalanced almost from his birth. In the past I felt sad and angry that I trusted allopathic medicine totally, without question. Now I just want the joy of telling everyone I can that THERE IS HOPE AND SCHIZOPHRENIA CAN BE CURED. IT IS A BIOCHEMICAL IMBALANCE.

SCHIZOPHRENIA - THERE IS HOPE AND SCHIZOPHRENIA CAN BE CURED. IT IS A BIOCHEMICAL IMBALANCE

Damn right Schizophrenia is a biochemical imbalance. The best evidence is that schizophrenics have an vast over-abundance of dopamine in their thalamus (like reverse parkisons).

While I am glad this nurse had a good outcome, niacin and Vitamin C (vitamin C is water soluble, so if you take too much of it, you simply excrete it BTW) have not been shown to improve Schizophrenia.

Like I said, individual anecdotes don't equate to a cure.

I wish it were as easy as giving people niacin and Vitamin C.

BTW, studies show that nicotine attenuates the symptoms of schizophrenia (which is why a large number of them smoke). Should we start handing out cigarettes?

After all, those are natural.

LOL...well considering patients on long term neuroleptics die 20 years earlier on average from their medications cigarettes might not be such a bad idea..but a more logical approach would be to study the effect of nicotine and how it works in alleviating symptoms don't you think ?

I would not wholesale support DR Abraham Hoffer approach in all cases but his success and 30 year practice deserve further examination and whatever approach a person choose his dietary plan could only help and add to the benefit I had the good fortune to meet this kind and caring man and he is perfectly willing to work with patients on medications without judgement if they feel they receive some benefit from them

LOL...well considering patients on long term neuroleptics die 20 years earlier on average from their medications

That doesn't surprise me. I suspect you've been around that patient base enough to admit that there are a lot of co-morbidities that accompany mental illness (as well as poor lifestyle decisions: i.e. smoking) that probably contribute to that statistic.

That is to say, I don't think you can draw a straight pharmico/patho/physiologic line from psychiatric meds and mortality rates.

cigarettes might not be such a bad idea..but a more logical approach would be to study the effect of nicotine and how it works in alleviating symptoms don't you think ?

They are (without the smokes):

Nicotine Dependence in Schizophrenia | Prevalence, Mechanisms, and Implications for Treatment - Psychiatric Times

I thought this was fascinating (from a different article):

Smoking improves processing of auditory stimuli (sensory gating) by patients with schizophrenia and may lessen negative symptoms by increasing dopamine in the nucleus accumbens and the prefrontal and frontal cortex.

A Review of the Effects of Nicotine on Schizophrenia and Antipsychotic Medications -- Lyon 50 (10): 1346 -- Psychiatr Serv

I would not wholesale support DR Abraham Hoffer approach in all cases but his success and 30 year practice deserve further examination and whatever approach a person choose his dietary plan could only help and add to the benefit I had the good fortune to meet this kind and caring man and he is perfectly willing to work with patients on medications without judgement if they feel they receive some benefit from them

You might not be aware of this, but Dr. Hoffer died in May.

He proposed his theory and methodology was rejected in 1973. It has been examined. Here is his proposed biochemical mechanism:

He hypothesised that schizophrenics lack the ability to remove a hallucinogenic metabolite adrenochrome from their brains. He speculated that he could decrease the concentration of adrenochrome in the brain by using vitamin C to reduce adrenochrome to adrenaline and using niacin as a methyl acceptor to prevent the conversion of noradrenaline into adrenaline. Hoffer called his theory the "adrenochrome hypothesis".[3]

(That was all shamelessly hacked from Wiki, so don't think I am so smart that I can regurgitate this. I had heard of Hoffer only in passing before this thread).

I am nowhere near as accomplished as Hoffer, but both vitamin C and B3 (niacin) are water soluable. They don't accumulate in the body, regardless of the dose. Your body will excrete them rather rapidly.

[ That's the problem. If alternative medicine could prove that chewing dandilions pulled people out of depression, than physicians would be writing scripts for dandilions.

unfortunately this is not the case as dandelions do not require a prescription and can not be patented and billions and billions of dollars would be lost so dandelin studies and information would be suppressed and discredited .. thats just how it is...sad but true

YouTube - Fox, Douglas Kennedy, Lilly pays $1.42 billion in Zyprexa suit

Which is probably one reason why MJ is still illegal.

He proposed his theory and methodology was rejected in 1973. It has been examined. Here is his proposed biochemical mechanism:

He hypothesised that schizophrenics lack the ability to remove a hallucinogenic metabolite adrenochrome from their brains. He speculated that he could decrease the concentration of adrenochrome in the brain by using vitamin C to reduce adrenochrome to adrenaline and using niacin as a methyl acceptor to prevent the conversion of noradrenaline into adrenaline. Hoffer called his theory the "adrenochrome hypothesis".[3]

(That was all shamelessly hacked from Wiki, so don't think I am so smart that I can regurgitate this. I had heard of Hoffer only in passing before this thread).

I am nowhere near as accomplished as Hoffer, but both vitamin C and B3 (niacin) are water soluable. They don't accumulate in the body, regardless of the dose. Your body will excrete them rather rapidly.

that very sad..the eots is crying right now I last saw him in 2005 at a conference and spoke with him on the phone just last year..he was a beautiful person..and will be dearly missed by many..he was one in a million..but he lived a long and fruitful life..I could elaborate on the rejection of his theory's and the forces that conspired against him..but its too much for me right now..I need to mourn his loss right now ...thank you for the information..god bless

that very sad..the eots is crying right now I last saw him in 2005 at a conference and spoke with him on the phone just last year..he was a beautiful person..and will be dearly missed by many..he was one in a million..but he lived a long and fruitful life..I could elaborate on the rejection of his theory's and the forces that conspired against him..but its too much for me right now..I need to mourn his loss right now ...thank you for the information..god bless

Sorry to break it to you like that.

Forum List

Back