Mental health stigma

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by RetiredGySgt, Dec 26, 2013.

1. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,824
    There is a huge problem in the US in regards to mental health. People don't want to talk about it or deal with it. And then we have those that insist mental issues are either made up or non existent.

We see it right here on this board. Hell we even have those with mental issues attacking others with mental issues.

While I agree the mental health profession is to quick to label some problems that are not problems mental health issues are REAL. We need to accept that and move on.

Some people do not seek help out of stigma for the problems. Some people do not understand there are remedies because a lot of information is not out there and promulgated.

And then there are those that are sick and do not seek help because they are sick. And where do we draw the line on forcing help?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Sunshine

Sunshine Trust the pie. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,059
    An interesting factoid: Psychiatrists and psych nurses get paid a lot less than their counterparts in medicine. There was an article about that a few years ago in one of the journals which postulated that this is just an extension of the stigma to the providers. Here is an interesting article:

http://www.currentpsychiatry.com/index.php?id=22661&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=176248

I have heard Dr. Nasrala speak, but I don't know him personally. I do believe he is onto something.

I am less concerned about stigma per se than I am about what is going on regarding gun rights issues. Many veterans have PTSD, and now that is something that can keep them from owing a gun. In this area, getting that nice deer in the freezer is really critical to the livelihood of a lot of people. When a person with PTSD is effectively treated and the illness is under control, there is no reason whatsoever that he should not be able to own a gun. Many will forgo much needed treatment so they can continue to own guns. That just should not be.

I have a friend who is CEO of a psych hospital. She used to say many years ago that one day psychiatry will not carry the stigma. Now she says she does not believe the stigma will be gone in her lifetime. I agree with her. It's going to be a long time before the stigma of mental illness is gone.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  3. alisha7525

alisha7525 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pyschtrists do not believe in the mental health in a crisis situation its a global problem which needs to be solved and this could be done only when there is an increase in the hype for the topic and to create belief in people about their mental welness

4. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +51,085
    thanks to RGS and Sunshine for their comments on an important topic.

5. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    Forcing help? How do you plan to pay for this forced help?

6. alisha7525

alisha7525 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nowadays the mental health has become a social stigma and the cases of people suffering frm mental disorders are increasing day by day

7. equalizer_0

equalizer_0 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Psychiatry is a pseudo-religious cult based on the 19th-century Austrian swinger scene and drug culture with all the opium dens, overt prostitution, secret drunkenness and all that depravity on which the United States declared war back in 1917.

American entry into World War I - Wikipedia

Sigmund Freud, the famous sexologist and psychoanalyst, would be a registered sex offender today, especially because of his penchant for torturing lesbian women by methods so inhumane as to be beyond all imagination of outsiders to the so-called "mental health" field.

Carl Jung, the famous personality typologist, on whose work the Myers-Briggs and other personality classifications used for government employment among other purposes are based, would in more recent times be a Nazi war criminal hunted to the ends of the earth.

Yet almost the entire field of Western psychiatry, psychology, counseling, therapy, and mental health treatment is based on the work of this odd 19th-century Austrian "couple."

8. badger2

badger2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +487
    'We may well ponder the the possibility that the analytic imperialism of the Oedipus complex led Freud to rediscover, and to lend all the weight of his authority to, the unfortunate misplacement of the concept of autism to schizophrenia. For we must not delude ourselves. Freud doesn't like schizophrenics. He doesn't like their resistance to being oedipalized, and tends to treat them more or less as animals. They mistake words for things, he says. They are apathetic, narcissistic, cut off from reality, incapable of achieving transference; they resemble philosophers -- "an undesirable resemblance." '
    (Anti-Oedipus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia, p.23 The Desiring Machines)

9. bear513

bear513 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,811

^^ another poster I miss..

10. equalizer_0

equalizer_0 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Something is a little bit off with that poster's lack of appropriate clothing, gratuitous reference to "subsistence hunting," and the alleged needfulness of the alleged "treatment" for the alleged Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Take a key snippet from that poster's words:

Just another anti-gunner.