Mental Health and hte Arizona Shooting

goldcatt

Catch me if you can!
Aug 4, 2009
CentralPA
In at least one other thread on the Arizona shooting several posters have brought up mental health issues as a related topic, including how we diagnose and treat mental illnesses, issues regarding coverage, prevailing attitudes toward mental illness, the proper balance between respecting a mentally ill person's rights and protecting them or others from violence associated with their condition, or whether the alleged shooter in fact appears to be mentally ill at all.

That's a whole lot of different issues, but I'm interested in a real discussion on its own. Should this incident be a wake up call regarding how we as a nation tend to handle mental illness, and if so, what do you see as the problem? What if anything would you like to see changed?

ETA: And YES, I see the typo in the thread title...about 3 seconds too late :lol:

Last edited:
The attitude that We As A Nation are responsible for each mentally unstable person is a problem in and of itself.

The sad fact is, that those who daily and locally interacted with Jared Loughner knew he was troubled. He engaged in multiple disturbances which involved campus police being called in. And yet, he continued his twisted journey resulting in the shootings. Perhaps better parenting could have made a difference earlier on. Who knows?

It's easy, with the benefit of hindsight, to assert that somebody should have done something to institutionalize, drug, or counsel him into being a peaceful and nonviolent citizen - but it's highly unrealistic.

There have always been (and will always be), however, borderline and worse personalities. Do we err on the side of caution and target the eccentric? Do we force "troublesome" personalities into institutions against their will?

Or, do we accept the reality that the government cannot ensure our security against the random acts of disturbed people and each take responsibility for our own well being and that of our personal sphere?

Last edited:
The attitude that We As A Nation are responsible for each mentally unstable person is a problem in and of itself.

The sad fact is, that those who daily and locally interacted with Jared Loughner knew he was troubled. He engaged in multiple disturbances which involved campus police being called in. And yet, he continued his twisted journey resulting in the shootings. Perhaps better parenting could have made a difference earlier on. Who knows?

It's easy, with the benefit of hindsight, to assert that somebody should have done something to institutionalize, drug, or counsel him into being a peaceful and nonviolent citizen - but it's highly unrealistic.

There have always been (and will always be), however, borderline and worse personalities. Do we err on the side of caution and target the eccentric? Do we force "troublesome" personalities into institutions against their will?

Or, do we accept the reality that the government cannot ensure our security against the random acts of disturbed people and each take responsibility for our own well being and that of our personal sphere?

I think you raise some interesting points here. I guess my biggest question would be, when a person is potentially at the point where he is harmful to himself and/or others and is unable or unwilling to control his own actions does it become necessary for somebody to take over that control in order to protect life and property? And if so, who would you see taking that role if not government?

You mention parents, but if it's already gotten to that point the parents are probably either unwilling or unable to make much difference in the outcome.

Innocent until proven guilty may need to be revisted. The criminally insane are locked up but why always AFTER they ahve committed the act ?

Does the good of the many outweigh the good of the individual?

Forum List

Back