Mennonites jailed for refusing to use reflective triangle....

In the article it says the jail provided them with dark colored jumpsuits, which you can see in the pic with the article if you look. See there! We can be just as culturally sensitive here in KY as anybody!

LOL.... The way i see it, is if you don't want to wear an orange jumpsuit.... don't get throw in jail.

LOL. Somehow life just isn't that simple these days, but the point is well taken! I would like to think that as well! :cuckoo: You know if the jailer put them in orange jumpsuits the ACLU would be here on his ass. You know that don't you?

No, sad to say, somehow i don't think they would be.

Why would Mennonites be against reflective triangles? Heck they even drive vehicles.

Amish, I get. Nothing modern, nothing brightly colored.

Mennonite though?

.........because they claim using the brightly colored triangle violates their religious beliefs.

I'm sure they'll suffer eternal damnation for putting a little plastic triangle on their horse-drawn buggy... Fucking idiots. Pretty sure Jesus said something about render unto Ceasar what belongs to Ceasar, not remain stuck in the 18th century just because. Lock their asses up, they're the ones at fault here. And force them to wear the bright county orange. They aren't special, they aren't exempt from the law of the land.

In the article it says the jail provided them with dark colored jumpsuits, which you can see in the pic with the article if you look. See there! We can be just as culturally sensitive here in KY as anybody!

I read it, and it's a mockery. These people aren't special, but they get special treatment because they'd rather live in the iron age. More tax dollars well wasted on stupid bullshit.

Gotta tell yas', I don't really CARE if this violates their religious beliefs.

Knew a kid in NAV boot who was in the service because one night he rear-ended a Mennonite carriage that didn't have reflectors.

Not only did he have to spend the rest of his life vividly remembering that he'd crushed two kids to death with his car, but he was given a choice between prison and the service because of it, too.

There ARE cases and circumstances when the needs of a secular society TRUMP one's religious beliefs.

This is CLEARLY one of those cases.

Yes, I agree. But, in your friend's case, wasn't the fact that there was no reflector a mitigating factor? It should have been!

There are a lot of Mennonites around here and this is a local issue. Judge Deborah Hawkins Crooks who put them in jail is a local judge in Mayfield, KY. I really fear that some young person is going to have his/her life ruined over this.

They don't pay income taxes which here in KY is what pays for the roads, such as they are. It torques me that they can use the roads AT ALL and pay no taxes. But to refuse to follow the laws of using those roads is over the top. IMO, they need to go to prison where they will learn that being some buffed up gang banger's bitch is far less preferable to using a colorful reflector!

Amish do, in fact, pay taxes.

Knew a kid in NAV boot who was in the service because one night he rear-ended a Mennonite carriage that didn't have reflectors.

Not only did he have to spend the rest of his life vividly remembering that he'd crushed two kids to death with his car, but he was given a choice between prison and the service because of it, too.

There ARE cases and circumstances when the needs of a secular society TRUMP one's religious beliefs.

Yes, I agree. But, in your friend's case, wasn't the fact that there was no reflector a mitigating factor? It should have been!

There are a lot of Mennonites around here and this is a local issue. Judge Deborah Hawkins Crooks who put them in jail is a local judge in Mayfield, KY. I really fear that some young person is going to have his/her life ruined over this.

They don't pay income taxes which here in KY is what pays for the roads, such as they are. It torques me that they can use the roads AT ALL and pay no taxes. But to refuse to follow the laws of using those roads is over the top. IMO, they need to go to prison where they will learn that being some buffed up gang banger's bitch is far less preferable to using a colorful reflector!

Link please.

I'm sure they'll suffer eternal damnation for putting a little plastic triangle on their horse-drawn buggy... Fucking idiots. Pretty sure Jesus said something about render unto Ceasar what belongs to Ceasar, not remain stuck in the 18th century just because. Lock their asses up, they're the ones at fault here. And force them to wear the bright county orange. They aren't special, they aren't exempt from the law of the land.

I read it, and it's a mockery. These people aren't special, but they get special treatment because they'd rather live in the iron age. More tax dollars well wasted on stupid bullshit.

Interesting you should say that. Many people seem to think that because they live in another age they somehow have beaten all the vices of this world and that is NOT correct. Their communities have all the problems that the rest of the world has. Alcoholism is a problem and I did a study on this in my last year of nursing school. I interviewed some Amish who were AA members. I asked if they drink because they are expected to be perfect. They said, no they drink because, just like anyone else who drinks, they don't want to face their responsibilites. I also once treated a Mennonite patient who is a pedophile.

Oh, they are Amish, not Mennonite.

OK.

Amish are Mennonites. Not all Mennonites are Amish, though.

Link please.

The Amish ( /ˈɑːmɪʃ/ ah-mish; Pennsylvania Dutch: Amisch, German: Amische), sometimes referred to as Amish Mennonites, are a group of Christian church fellowships that form a subgroup of the Mennonite churches.

Amish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Link please.

Do Amish pay taxes?

They don't pay into Social Security, nor do they collect it. But they certainly do pay all the other taxes.

Which part of "make no law" do you have a problem with?

The US is founded on the belief that the rights of the individual trumps the convenience of the collective. That kid who hit the Mennonite carriage was probably speeding and drunk, otherwise he would have not have been forced to choose between prison and the military.

And what about the religions that don't use medicine and doctors. They just 'pray away' the illness.

God made man and woman, and they in turn made medicine and doctors. So why wouldn't someone use that for the healing of their children or themselves?

I've never figured that one out.

It makes as much sense as acupuncture and other alternative medicine practices, which is actually being used in hospitals.

There’s no Free Exercise Clause violation here – the caution triangle is in no way an ostentatious display nor can it be construed as such in any context. Consequently no religious practice or tenet is being preempted.

Exactly right. And I hope they bill the ones in the local jail here for their accommodations. Given that they don't pay taxes and all.

I have seen Mennonites and Amish present to local hospitals with sick family members once 'taking care of their own' has ceased to work. The bill can run many many thousands of dollars.......which they ALWAYS pay with cash. What's wrong with this picture? :mad:

The community always chips in to cover expenses like that for their members. Why is that a problem? Would you rather they let you, with your obvious distaste for them, foot the bill?

Last edited:
There’s no Free Exercise Clause violation here – the caution triangle is in no way an ostentatious display nor can it be construed as such in any context. Consequently no religious practice or tenet is being preempted.

Exactly right. And I hope they bill the ones in the local jail here for their accommodations. Given that they don't pay taxes and all.

I have seen Mennonites and Amish present to local hospitals with sick family members once 'taking care of their own' has ceased to work. The bill can run many many thousands of dollars.......which they ALWAYS pay with cash. What's wrong with this picture? :mad:

The community always chips in to cover expenses like that for their members. Why is that a problem? Would you rather they let you, with your obvious distaste for them, foot the bill?

My 'distaste'...LOL. I've seen them up close and personal, and they aren't the saints everyone thinks they are.

Forum List

Back