Men...We're a dying breed.

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
This is the reply I made in a joke-thread Sandy posted...didn't mean to drop a load of junk in her thread...so here goes:

I'm starting to become annoyed at all these "jokes" bashing Men, and soldiers/airmen/Marines/sailors, etc...It's not just jokes online, thru email etc., it's everywhere in the media. In dozens of sitcoms, Men are portrayed as bumbling, incapable or otherwise worthless creatures. In movies, especailly 'kid movies' parents are often walking around as if their elevator doesn't go all the way to the top; while their kids are out solving crimes; inventing a better mousetrap. That's FINE for Inspector Gadget - Penny is hot. But when will it end? As millions of American women and children and guys tune in, they are force-fed images showing what a MESS a husband will make of the house, if it wasn't for the intervention of the woman. They are shown women who "Let" their husbands 'get some' now and then, as a reward for good behaviour. The American public feeds off this crap? why? Ha-Ha! Yeah..it's funny...Men don't ask for directions. Big laugh. Do you know why I don't? First, because I prepare. I bring (gasp) a Map. Secondly? One Valid reason, nowadays..

How can we expect our boys to grow into Men when we constantly tell them they aren't needed? Men in America have become passive, passionless, and feminized. We tell them "Nope - Having a father in a kid's life isn't neccessary - the Mom can do it all!" <-- :bs: We show our kids examples of the WORST of male behaviour and scold them for the 'best' attributes of being a man. What are some of those? It's 'GOOD' that Men and boys have a desire to play with guns. It's good Men and Boys are generally adventuresome. If it weren't for those attributes we'd likely be still in England, having never found our way to North America.

The only 'Men' (term used loosely) which are written to be worth a shit are Gay. Praise the Gay Male! Why? Because it's impossible for a gay male to be a "Man" in the truest sense of the word. That could be the result of that guy not having a true Man-influence in his life? I dunno. The day a sitcom stars a lead character who is Republican, Christian, and Competent will make my day.

I urge Mothers and Men to read "Wild at Heart"...it's changed me in a couple ways..

“What do you see in the lives of the men that you work with, live by, go to church alongside? Are they full of passionate freedom? Do they fight well? Are their women deeply grateful for how well their men have loved them? Are their children radiant with affirmation? The idea is almost laughable, if it weren't so tragic. Men have been taken out right and left. Scattered across the neigh*borhood lie the shattered lives of men (and women) who have died at a soul level from the wounds they've taken. You've heard the expression, "he's a shell of a man?" They have lost heart. Many more are alive, but badly wounded. They are trying to crawl forward, but are having an awful time getting their lives together; they seem to keep taking hits. You know others who are already captives, languishing in prisons of despair, addiction, idleness, or boredom. The place looks like a battlefield, the Omaha Beach of the soul.”

and

Our culture (and even our churches) has adopted a strategy that facilitates the feminization of men. Masculinity, with its predilection to adventure, rowdiness, and risk has become a condition to be cured. Consequently, boys are in big trouble. School systems and churches have not taken the unique features of masculinity into consideration when designing curriculum or programs. Our culture, intent on emasculating its boys, has produced a huge sense of withdrawal and boredom from its men. As disconcerting as it may be to mothers everywhere, masculinity can only be imparted by masculinity. In other words, a young boy is never really sure he’s become a man until another man, or group of men, tells him so. Sadly, many, if not most, men have abdicated this responsibility.

Every man needs a battle for which he can live and die.

More:

http://www.cbmw.org/resources/reviews/eldredge_wah_review.php

I will sign on for all the shows which make men appear strong, healthy and necessary as soon as they also stop showing women as either the ugly, smart woman longing for the man she can't attain or the beautiful, brainless slut with more men than she can contain.

It cuts both ways...the majority of people in this country aren't looking for role models on how to live a decent life, they are looking for pathetic excuses they can point to and say "at least that poor f__k has it worse than me".

Ain't gonna change in the near future given the lack of sense (even if it's evidenced as just not standing up for what's right) of most people.

Moi said:
I will sign on for all the shows which make men appear strong, healthy and necessary as soon as they also stop showing women as either the ugly, smart woman longing for the man she can't attain or the beautiful, brainless slut with more men than she can contain.

Ain't gonna change in the near future given the lack of sense (even if it's evidenced as just not standing up for what's right) of most people.

It doesn't cut both ways...there are no shows where that happens. Women, minorities and homos are generally off-limits.. White males are NOT, however...

(shrug).

As a youth, I have noticed this. Story... Last year at the end of the school year, me and about 6 friends of mine played frisbee outside, if someone would throw the frisbee and no one would catch it, it usually ended in a showdown between me and one of my best friends. We'd sprint for it, push each other, throw harmless belly-punches, trip each other, basically an all out laughing fight for the frisbee. None of us really wanted it that bad, we were just being boys. I had a blast! A few years ago, I hated football and wrestling, and anything that involved strength. Now, I cant wait till the wrestling season, and I'm increasing my bench pressing weight. I saved myself, and I love being a boy.

As far as sitcoms go, the man is always the beer-bellied house cat. Like everybody loves Raymond, home improvement, and the like. The wife always keeps the husband from practicing his masculinity, which he simply cannot live, let alone raise a boy, without. Thats why I hate home improvement. Tims intentions are to raise three young boys into three hardworking handymen, but that bitch Jill ruins it. I cant watch that show anymore.

Also what I cant stand, is how being an 'independant woman' is such a victory. Men dont go out and find jobs and pay their own rent and live by themselves successfully? I always thought they did. After the Woman's Rights Movement, they basically wanted the same rights as the men, Im glad for that, I'd go hog wild if I were a girl. But that doesnt come free, you know?

Just opened this e-mail...

>why women are smarter than men in the case of infidelity:
>
>a man and a woman were married for quite some time, and over the
>span of this marriage, they had no children, but aqquired a
>beautiful, big, expensive house that was thier ultimate pride, and
>they were very happy together-or so they thought.
>one evening the husband came home and announced that he was having
>an affair and wanted a divorce. the woman was, of course, very sad
>and prepared to move out, because it was decided that the husband
>got to keep the house. her last evening in the house, she was all
>alone (her husband was out on a date with his new misteriss, who
>would be moving in with him once the wife moved out). she ate one of
>her favorite meals, champaigne with shrimp and caviar. wanting some
>revenge on her husband, she put a piece of shirmp and caviar in each
>of the curtain rods, and then moved everything out.
>her ex and his girlfriend moved in to the gorgeous house and were
>very happy, but about a month later they started to smell the stench
>of rotting food. they ignored it for awhile, thinking it would go
>away, but it kept getting worse. they tried everything to get the
>smell gone-got the carpets cleaned, repainted the walls, got all the
>furniture cleaned, bought a new refrigerator, had the dog stay
>outside.....nothing worked, the smell was still there.
>finally, after 6 months, the ex-wife called her ex-husband and asked
>if he would consider selling her the house back. the husband said
>yes, and, wanting to get rid of the smell, offered it to her at a
>very reasonable, cheap price. she agreed and bought it from him
>right away.
>moving day came, and the ex husband and his girlfriend smugly moved
>out, thinking that his ex would soon need to sell the house because
>of the smell, just like they did.
>the movers came and boxed up everything--including the curtain rods.

My response:

That does say a thing about infidelity. The man was honest, would you rather have your husband be honest with you, or be living two love lives? Basically, this is saying how this woman is a poor loser, and the man is the honest guy who had to suffer because that girl got jealous.

Just thought it was appropriate.

Semper Fi said:
My response:

That does say a thing about infidelity. The man was honest, would you rather have your husband be honest with you, or be living two love lives? Basically, this is saying how this woman is a poor loser, and the man is the honest guy who had to suffer because that girl got jealous.

Just thought it was appropriate.

First of all when you get married and say I do it is supposed to be for better or worse till death do you part, not till you find somebody you like better!

I don't think it was that she was jealous, she was just making his life miserable, like he had done to her.

khafley said:
First of all when you get married and say I do it is supposed to be for better or worse till death do you part, not till you find somebody you like better!

I don't think it was that she was jealous, she was just making his life miserable, like he had done to her.

I am generally surprised at how Americans only believe in keeping ONE vow of a marriage agreement. There exist a set of 'standard vows' most Men and Women take upon a marriage. Most of the time those vows include three aspects - Love, Honour, Cherish; and a caveat "Forsaking all others"...and generally the vows conclude with something like "As long as we both shall live".
[fiction]
It seems after 5 years of me 'not' loving, honouring, nor cherishing my wife, she's found a guy who can do that for her, and gets involved with him. Repentant, she comes back and we work things out. What do I hear, though? "That bitch CHEATED on you!! How COULD you take her back?"
[/fiction]
Cheated? maybe. It's never the vow-breaking which generally is a HUGE contributing factor in driving the 'other' spouse to cheat which make any headlines. Maybe if I hadn't selfishly refused her intimate advances all the time, "I have to get up early, honey...I'm too tired...I have a headache...." Perhaps if I'd shown her intimacy in spite of my laziness or exhaustion when she needed it? Perhaps if I'd TRULY cherished her...If I LOVE my wife, as a man does a woman (after all, I PROMISED to) REGARDLESS of how I felt at that instance in time (tired, sore, sick, bored, whatever) She would have found refuge in ME...not the arms of another man.

Did the guy in the joke make his wife's life a living hell? (shrug). I'd speculate spouses find another, at least most of the time, because their spouse refuses to give them what they need. My wife NEEDS intimacy. Since I promised I would, and I love her, I will give her that intimacy to the best of my ability. Even if I 'don't' feel like making love to her, or cuddling....or helping her build a bookcase (trust me on that last one..she'd go CRAZY with excitement ;) ).

Mr. Semper Fi - as you age, and eventually find marriage...realize it's a commitment not just to 'never bone anyone else'...it's a commitment to do everything you can to keep your wife knowing first hand, how very much she's loved.

-=d=- said:
I am generally surprised at how Americans only believe in keeping ONE vow of a marriage agreement. There exist a set of 'standard vows' most Men and Women take upon a marriage. Most of the time those vows include three aspects - Love, Honour, Cherish; and a caveat "Forsaking all others"...and generally the vows conclude with something like "As long as we both shall live".
[fiction]
It seems after 5 years of me 'not' loving, honouring, nor cherishing my wife, she's found a guy who can do that for her, and gets involved with him. Repentant, she comes back and we work things out. What do I hear, though? "That bitch CHEATED on you!! How COULD you take her back?"
[/fiction]
Cheated? maybe. It's never the vow-breaking which generally is a HUGE contributing factor in driving the 'other' spouse to cheat which make any headlines. Maybe if I hadn't selfishly refused her intimate advances all the time, "I have to get up early, honey...I'm too tired...I have a headache...." Perhaps if I'd shown her intimacy in spite of my laziness or exhaustion when she needed it? Perhaps if I'd TRULY cherished her...If I LOVE my wife, as a man does a woman (after all, I PROMISED to) REGARDLESS of how I felt at that instance in time (tired, sore, sick, bored, whatever) She would have found refuge in ME...not the arms of another man.

Did the guy in the joke make his wife's life a living hell? (shrug). I'd speculate spouses find another, at least most of the time, because their spouse refuses to give them what they need. My wife NEEDS intimacy. Since I promised I would, and I love her, I will give her that intimacy to the best of my ability. Even if I 'don't' feel like making love to her, or cuddling....or helping her build a bookcase (trust me on that last one..she'd go CRAZY with excitement ;) ).

Mr. Semper Fi - as you age, and eventually find marriage...realize it's a commitment not just to 'never bone anyone else'...it's a commitment to do everything you can to keep your wife knowing first hand, how very much she's loved.

Very nicely put -=d=-! :clap:

It's a sad shame there are not more men and women in this world who think like that.

-=d=- said:
It doesn't cut both ways...there are no shows where that happens. Women, minorities and homos are generally off-limits.. White males are NOT, however...
(shrug).
You must be living on Mars because examples of such stereotypes abound...The media portrays everyone rather poorly and certainly reinforces stereotypes.

Ever seen a bond film???

Read a Maxim or Stuff magazine?

Watched an MTV video?

Seen the Herbal Essence commercials?

Seen the show Baywatch?

'nough said.

Moi said:
You must be living on Mars because examples of such stereotypes abound...The media portrays everyone rather poorly and certainly reinforces stereotypes.

Ever seen a bond film???

Watched an MTV video?

Seen the show Baywatch?

'nough said.

Here's another one

Stripperella - stripper superhero Need I say more!

Moi said:

Ever seen a bond film???

Watched an MTV video?

Seen the show Baywatch?

'nough said.

None of those examples display what you claimed in your reply.

khafley said:

I agree with you. Let's add that they do have children, doesn't change the fact that he no longer cares about what is at home, since what isn't doesn't involve problems that come with marriage.

The only saving grace, when all is said and done, the kids do grow up and his or her choices may come to bite them. Best revenge. (signed voice of been there done that.) How sure am I? D'oh, yesterday my ex wrote me an email to say that lol, 'did I realize that next March we would hit 25th anniversary? All our children in college? d'oh, like I was clueless. He was asking if I would be interested in dealing with 'empty nest' with him? LOL. His wife is preggers and they have a 2 year old.

He'll be nearly 70 at the time the youngest graduates HS! (BTW, if he had his way, the new wife would not have known he'd had a vasectomy! I did tell. :dev3: It was so cool to watch him come limping into the shrink's office.)

Semper Fi said:
Men dont go out and find jobs and pay their own rent and live by themselves successfully? I always thought they did.

Yes they do. As a matter of fact, I've been doing it for 17 years now, and loving it.

Sure, I'd get married again. But I would have to meet the perfect woman... or at least as close as I thought I could get. You may say, "well that'll never happen", and that may be true, but I've already come to grips with the possibility of living alone for the rest of my life. Since I've lived alone already all these years, and I'm 48 now, it ain't no big thing. I've come to like it.

What's the point? Point is, the only thing I may ever "need" a woman for, is companionship. Other than that, there's no other reason.

-=d=- said:
None of those examples display what you claimed in your reply.
Actually, they do. You might not understand how pervasive their sexism is, just as I might not understand how a minority feels about our media, but those examples and many more certainly underscore the rampant opinion that there are two types of women in this world- the ugly one not destined to get married (and she's either A: a bitch who deserves her lot in life, or B: she's the sweet saintly type who guys always say "gee, I wonder why no one has snapped her up" and then go back to their mean/stupid yet beautiful girlfriends/wives) OR the beautiful bimbo not destined to save the world (but gets laid a lot).

Even the new washer and dryer ads with the headline - beauty meets brains- reinforces such a stupid stereotype. Why is the woman beautiful but not brainy? Perhaps she's a genius. Perhaps the "ugly" guy isn't all that smart. Oh, can we forget the mud-wrestling beer commercial?

I think you are purposefully obfuscating what just about everyone else sees clearly- the media is completely sexist on both fronts and makes fun of people in a grossly distorted way.

Moi said:
Actually, they do. You might not understand how pervasive their sexism is, just as I might not understand how a minority feels about our media, but those examples and many more certainly underscore the rampant opinion that there are two types of women in this world- the ugly one not destined to get married (and she's either A: a bitch who deserves her lot in life, or B: she's the sweet saintly type who guys always say "gee, I wonder why no one has snapped her up" and then go back to their mean/stupid yet beautiful girlfriends/wives) OR the beautiful bimbo not destined to save the world (but gets laid a lot).

Even the new washer and dryer ads with the headline - beauty meets brains- reinforces such a stupid stereotype. Why is the woman beautiful but not brainy? Perhaps she's a genius. Perhaps the "ugly" guy isn't all that smart. Oh, can we forget the mud-wrestling beer commercial?

I think you are purposefully obfuscating what just about everyone else sees clearly- the media is completely sexist on both fronts and makes fun of people in a grossly distorted way.

The examples you gave; Bond chicks MAY be a close match...the others? Not even close. Not as examples of

showing women as either the ugly, smart woman longing for the man she can't attain or the beautiful, brainless slut with more men than she can contain.

Even with Bond Chicks, the chick in the movie is likely an evil mastermind, or some sort of scientist, etc...especially in the recent bond flicks. The women are strong and smart, and beautiful - some of them just happen to fall for Bond. There's no shame or disgust in that. Heck, if I were a chick, I'd probably fall for Pierce Brosnan too! :) Cept he's on the 'hairy' side...

Why do you feel 'beauty meets brains' is an example pertaining only to 'women'?

The beer commercial was 'water wrasslin' and in CONTEXT it was a fantasy of two male characters in the commercial - who were made fun of/had their hand slapped by their ladies.

You are taking my complaints (wanted to see a competent, white, adult male, who has moral courage, and isn't gay) and simply bashing EVERY show/commercial/etc, where a hot chick is shown.

Baywatch - ALL The women/stars of that show were written to be VERY hot...and VERY Capable - hence their jobs.

Advertising goes with the audience---if demeaning men OR women makes em bucks, they do it. Depends on the target audience.

-=d=- said:
The examples you gave; Bond chicks MAY be a close match...the others? Not even close. Not as examples of

Even with Bond Chicks, the chick in the movie is likely an evil mastermind, or some sort of scientist, etc...especially in the recent bond flicks. The women are strong and smart, and beautiful - some of them just happen to fall for Bond. There's no shame or disgust in that. Heck, if I were a chick, I'd probably fall for Pierce Brosnan too! :) Cept he's on the 'hairy' side...

Why do you feel 'beauty meets brains' is an example pertaining only to 'women'?

The beer commercial was 'water wrasslin' and in CONTEXT it was a fantasy of two male characters in the commercial - who were made fun of/had their hand slapped by their ladies.

You are taking my complaints (wanted to see a competent, white, adult male, who has moral courage, and isn't gay) and simply bashing EVERY show/commercial/etc, where a hot chick is shown.

Baywatch - ALL The women/stars of that show were written to be VERY hot...and VERY Capable - hence their jobs.
I am not bashing EVERY show where a hot woman is shown nor am I stating that women aren't or shouldn't be attracted to men. There are numerous shows or examples wherein the women are not portrayed poorly. There just happen to be more wherein they are.

Simply said, men get made fun of because it's easy and rewarding to make fun of them. Until such time as it's not, it will continue.

Forum List

Back