Memos reveal alleged threats to hush Iraq abuse

nakedemperor

Aug 5, 2004
NYC
http://www.english.uiuc.edu/maps/poets/a_f/frost/country.htm

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) -- U.S. special operations forces accused of abusing prisoners in Iraq threatened Defense Intelligence Agency personnel who saw the mistreatment, according to government memos released Tuesday by the American Civil Liberties Union.

Another memo says the special forces once confiscated photos of a prisoner who had been punched in the face.

The special operations forces also monitored e-mails sent by defense personnel and ordered them "not to talk to anyone" about what they saw, said another memo written by the Defense Intelligence Agency chief, who complained to his Pentagon bosses about the harassment.

Prisoners arriving at a detention center in Baghdad had "burn marks on their backs" as well as bruises and some complained of kidney pain, according to the June 25, 2004 memo.

FBI agents also reported seeing detainees at Abu Ghraib subjected to sleep deprivation, humiliation and forced nudity between October and December 2003 -- when the most serious abuses allegedly took place in a scandal that remains under investigation.

....further along, and even more interesting, IMHO...

Officer connected to both facilities

Many memos refer to Maj. Gen. Geoffrey D. Miller, whose mission as head of the Guantanamo prison from October 2002 was to improve the intelligence gleaned from terrorist suspects.

In August 2003, Miller was sent to Iraq to make recommendations on interrogation techniques to get more information out of prisoners. He was posted to Abu Ghraib in March 2004. One FBI e-mail released by the ACLU said Miller "continued to support interrogation strategies (the FBI) not only advised against, but questioned in terms of effectiveness."

Miller left Iraq on Tuesday for a new assignment in Washington, with responsibility for Army housing and other support operations, and could not be reached for comment.

According to the memo from the Defense Intelligence chief, Vice Admiral Lowell E. Jacoby, a special operations forces task force in Iraq threatened defense personnel who complained about abuses. Some had their car keys confiscated and were ordered not to leave the base "even to get a haircut."

Balice refused to describe the task force, which could include Army Rangers, Delta Force, Navy SEALs and other special operations forces' soldiers working with CIA operatives.

Another June 25 memo describes how a task force officer punched a prisoner in the face "to the point he needed medical attention," failed to record the medical treatment, and confiscated photos of the injuries. The date of the incident wasn't clear as the memo -- like others released by the ACLU -- have been heavily redacted to remove dates and names.

The U.S. military says prisoners are treated according to the Geneva Conventions, which prohibit violence, torture and humiliating treatment.

...jeez. A Major General-- anyone thinking this whole thing might not have come to a head yet?

Sir Evil said:
Nice link NE, was that purposely put there or accidental?

We are talking about getting punched in the face and the ACLU!
neither of the two would really concern me all that much. Perhaps it stories like this that have some believing that the story hasn't come to a head yet, and perhaps that is exactly what it is meant to do!

Now I think most here have already considered the prisoner abuse to be wrong, but what is the purpose of constantly bringing it up? I mean why not dig up an article about something good that is going on instead? I am curious as to why the majority of the left choose to harp on this situation yet never make comparison to the atrocities that our soldiers face, or the atrocities of 911.

Desperation!--it is the habit of the left to attack any appearance of wrong doing by the right without putting it into any sort of context or reference.

Sir Evil said:
Nice link NE, was that purposely put there or accidental?

We are talking about getting punched in the face and the ACLU!
neither of the two would really concern me all that much. Perhaps it stories like this that have some believing that the story hasn't come to a head yet, and perhaps that is exactly what it is meant to do!

Now I think most here have already considered the prisoner abuse to be wrong, but what is the purpose of constantly bringing it up? I mean why not dig up an article about something good that is going on instead? I am curious as to why the majority of the left choose to harp on this situation yet never make comparison to the atrocities that our soldiers face, or the atrocities of 911.

I was curious about the implications of the article. I guess its appealing to the base impetus (what the heck is the plural form of 'impetus'?) that stimulate curiousity, I didn't really think about it.

From what I can gather, these memos were all dated in the June/July time frame when the media brought this all to the forefront in the first place. They decide now to make a big deal about them? I suspect this is an attempt (for good or ill) to keep the issue in the forefront of US politics.

I really feel that making men wear underwear on their heads and stand naked is a non-story compared to beheadings, and car bombs in public places.

Why does the media continue to pound on this story?

:poop:

Democrat4Bush said:
Why does the media continue to pound on this story?

because what happened was wrong, the american people still do not know the full details of what happened and because the story is important because not reporting it (in a fair way, not in a "scandal fever" method) would dishonor all the troops who have sacrificed so much, as well as our noble mission in iraq and in afghanistan.

Forum List

Back