Memorial Day...what were they fighting for?

Bfgrn

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2009
Today we honor the men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country, gave the final measure. But we hold special reverence for the common man; the GI, the foot soldier, who willingly put his or hers’ life on the line, and bravely carried out orders he or she knew could cost them their lives.

But if we truly want to honor them, we need to ask ourselves what they were they fighting for.

AMERICA…a unique experiment in the history of mankind.

Governments throughout man's long existence were designed to reward a small class of people, kings and land owners. The common man, the 'GI or foot soldiers' in those societies were viewed as mere subjects or property.

It wasn't until 1776, when Thomas Jefferson replaced John Locke's right to "life, liberty and property" with "life liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" that the idea of a large class of working people having the ability to "pursue happiness" - the middle class - was even seriously considered as a cornerstone obligation of government.

There is nothing "normal" about a nation having a middle class, even though it is vital to the survival of democracy.

If a nation wants a middle class, it must define it, desire it, and work to both create and keep it.

This is because a middle class is the creation of government participation in the marketplace, by determining the rules of the game of business and of taxation, and by providing free public education to all.

It was Republican President and 5 star General Dwight D. Eisenhower who said: "Labor is the United States. The men and women, who with their minds, their hearts and hands, create the wealth that is shared in this country—they are America."

As thirty years of conservative economic policies have now shown millions of un- and underemployed Americans, what's "normal" in a "free and unfettered" economy is the rapid evolution of a small but fabulously wealthy ownership class, and a large but poor working class. In the entire history of civilization, outside of a small mercantilist class and the very few skilled tradesmen who'd managed to organize in guilds (the earliest unions) like the ancient Masons, the middle class was an aberration.

Thomas Jefferson laid out in an 1816 letter to Samuel Kerchival what today would be a blistering attack on the conservative/corporate war on labor, union-busting and the privatization of government positions.

"Those seeking profits," Jefferson wrote, "were they given total freedom, would not be the ones to trust to keep government pure and our rights secure. Indeed, it has always been those seeking wealth who were the source of corruption in government. No other depositories of power have ever yet been found, which did not end in converting to their own profit the earnings of those committed to their charge."

He added: "I am not among those who fear the people. They, and not the rich, are our dependence for continued freedom. ... We must make our election between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. ... [Otherwise], as the people of England are, our people, like them, must come to labor sixteen hours in the twenty-four, ... and the sixteenth being insufficient to afford us bread, we must live, as they now do, on oatmeal and potatoes; have no time to think, no means of calling the mismanagers to account; but be glad to obtain subsistence by hiring ourselves to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow sufferers."

A totally "free" market where corporations reign supreme, just like the oppressive governments of old, Jefferson said could transform America "...until the bulk of the society is reduced to be mere automatons of misery, to have no sensibilities left but for sinning and suffering. Then begins, indeed, the bellum omnium in omnia, which some philosophers observing to be so general in this world, have mistaken it for the natural, instead of the abusive state of man."

As Jefferson realized, with no government "interference" by setting the rules of the game of business and fair taxation, there will be no middle class.

If we are truly committed to honoring the men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country, we need to ensure America faithfully serves the common man; the GI, the foot soldier in our society. Ike was right, they ARE ‘the men and women, who with their minds, their hearts and hands, create the wealth that is shared in this country’
Reference:

It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.
Albert Camus

Last edited:
You may be stupid enough to have to ask yourself what they fought for.... Lots of us already know. Fucking idiot.

Also.... I love the way you mix your own thought among those of other idiots to try to make yourself look more intelligent than you are. You failed.... again.

Oh, one more thing..... We were not designed as a 'class' based society. In the United States, anyone can be anything - with hard work and determination. In 'class' based societies, that is almost impossible to achieve. Just basic facts that the left seem hell bent on hiding from.

Last edited:
You may be stupid enough to have to ask yourself what they fought for.... Lots of us already know. Fucking idiot.

Also.... I love the way you mix your own thought among those of other idiots to try to make yourself look more intelligent than you are. You failed.... again.

Oh, one more thing..... We were not designed as a 'class' based society. In the United States, anyone can be anything - with hard work and determination. In 'class' based societies, that is almost impossible to achieve. Just basic facts that the left seem hell bent on hiding from.

You know Cali girl, you represent the mass ignorance that has permeated our society. You are among the 'we are not worthy' crowd. Subservient to wealthy and powerful elites that have NO desire to include you, me or the common man. ANY country can fall into a class based society. It has happened many times in America and it has happened again. It was only through progressive change and great men of vision and compassion like Franklin Delano Roosevelt that a middle class survived and thrived in America.

My reference, Thom Hartmann, has more knowledge in his baby finger than you will ever possess in your lifetime of right wing dogmatic ignorance.

You know Cali girl, you represent the mass ignorance that has permeated our society. You are among the 'we are not worthy' crowd. Subservient to wealthy and powerful elites that have NO desire to include you, me or the common man. ANY country can fall into a class based society. It has happened many times in America and it has happened again. It was only through progressive change and great men of vision and compassion like Franklin Delano Roosevelt that a middle class survived and thrived in America.

My reference, Thom Hartmann, has more knowledge in his baby finger than you will ever possess in your lifetime of right wing dogmatic ignorance.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That is just too fucking funny. I treat all men (and women) the same.... wealthy or poor makes no difference. It is those who stick to partisan politics that measure another by their supposed wealth.

We were set up as a nation where anyone - of any background - could succeed. You may prefer to whine about 'class' as an excuse to fail, I do not. I choose to stand on my own two feet and succeed or fail without blaming anyone but myself.

You constantly 'reference' those who impress you. That's why I call you an idiot.... because you show no individual thought of your own - just the words of others. Loser.

End of conversation - cuz you bore me with your whining.

speaking of dogmatic ignorance

speaking of dogmatic ignorance

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

He obsessively whines at me cuz I keep pointing out that the majority of his posts are not his thoughts. He throws in the occasional sentence then just regurgitates shit from other people. :eek: What an ass he is.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That is just too fucking funny. I treat all men (and women) the same.... wealthy or poor makes no difference. It is those who stick to partisan politics that measure another by their supposed wealth.

We were set up as a nation where anyone - of any background - could succeed. You may prefer to whine about 'class' as an excuse to fail, I do not. I choose to stand on my own two feet and succeed or fail without blaming anyone but myself.

You constantly 'reference' those who impress you. That's why I call you an idiot.... because you show no individual thought of your own - just the words of others. Loser.

End of conversation - cuz you bore me with your whining.

Sorry, pea brains like YOU don't get to decide. I'll tell you what Cali girl, when you are able to earn a consistent 6 figure income in commission sales like I did for years you can school me on success and failure.

Why don't you study history, instead of listening to partisan hacks like Glenn Beck? Learn about the REAL conditions at the turn of the 20th century that led to the Progressive movement.

There are the 2 factors where you right wing pea brains always fail. The reasons unions were needed to be created never disappears because human nature and human foible never changes. And there is never any human capital in any of your thinking. Right wing solutions always SOUND good, but intelligent and mature citizens understand that when the human cost is factored in, you pea brains need human beings to just evaporate.

Forum List

Back