Memorial Day was a Confederate tradition ..will they try to abolish it?

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
The first account of decorating a fallen Soldier's grave was in Warrington, Va. during the Civil War. After Lincoln was assassinated the Country went into a state of mourning and decorating a Soldier's grave with a Flag became popular. I am old enough to recall when they called it Decoration day and it was celebrated on May 30. Sometime in the 70's they changed the date to the last Monday in May to give government workers a three day weekend. Now it's an opportunity for businesses to offer a "Memorial Day Sale" and I expect not many people rush to the cemeteries to place a fresh Flag on a Soldier's grave.

The first account of decorating a fallen Soldier's grave was in Warrington, Va. during the Civil War. After Lincoln was assassinated the Country went into a state of mourning and decorating a Soldier's grave with a Flag became popular. I am old enough to recall when they called it Decoration day and it was celebrated on May 30. Sometime in the 70's they changed the date to the last Monday in May to give government workers a three day weekend. Now it's an opportunity for businesses to offer a "Memorial Day Sale" and I expect not many people rush to the cemeteries to place a fresh Flag on a Soldier's grave.

that is false....like everything else white supremacists say

reality:

Decoration Day
On May 5, 1868, General John A. Logan, leader of an organization for Northern Civil War veterans, called for a nationwide day of remembrance later that month. “The 30th of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers, or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village and hamlet churchyard in the land,” he proclaimed.

The date of Decoration Day, as he called it, was chosen because it wasn’t the anniversary of any particular battle.

Memorial Day - Holidays - HISTORY.com

but thanks for your unlinked nonsense. did you get that from stormfront?

reality:

Decoration Day
On May 5, 1868, General John A. Logan, leader of an organization for Northern Civil War veterans, called for a nationwide day of remembrance later that month. “The 30th of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers, or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village and hamlet churchyard in the land,” he proclaimed.

The date of Decoration Day, as he called it, was chosen because it wasn’t the anniversary of any particular battle.

I know someplaces in South Carolina celebrate it May 5th, library's are close no mail.

reality:

Decoration Day

I know someplaces in South Carolina celebrate it May 5th, library's are close no mail.

They celebrate it now as a national holiday.

reality:

Decoration Day

They celebrate it now as a national holiday.

You can't notice. Unless you went to the damn library and it was closed..and you are like WTF?

Why would anyone want to remember the Confederacy?

"They" are trying to abolish everything else, why wouldn't they?

The Confederacy only lasted four years but it's convenient for today's ignorant generation to throw their guilt in the graves of Confederate soldiers rather than taking responsibility for the hundred years of slavery that existed during the Colonial era and after the Revolution. The flag that flew off the stern of slave ships wasn't the Stars and Bars, it was the Stars and Stripes and the Union Jack and whatever they call the flags of Spain and France. Lincoln didn't have the political skill or the leadership to hold the Union together so fawning historians claim that he preserved the Union after it fell apart under his watch. It's convenient to blame three or four years of the Confederacy when New England Yankees were raking in the money for capturing and selling humans and importing cotton that was harvested from slave plantations for a hundred years.

The Confederacy only lasted four years but it's convenient for today's ignorant generation to throw their guilt in the graves of Confederate soldiers rather than taking responsibility for the hundred years of slavery that existed during the Colonial era and after the Revolution. The flag that flew off the stern of slave ships wasn't the Stars and Bars, it was the Stars and Stripes and the Union Jack and whatever they call the flags of Spain and France. Lincoln didn't have the political skill or the leadership to hold the Union together so fawning historians claim that he preserved the Union after it fell apart under his watch. It's convenient to blame three or four years of the Confederacy when New England Yankees were raking in the money for capturing and selling humans and importing cotton that was harvested from slave plantations for a hundred years.
And yet they still fought against continuing slavery.

I didn't know you were so passionate about slave-owning Democrats

I'm passionate about history. If Lincoln wasn't assassinated he would have gone down as the most inept president in history. Maybe Lincoln took advice from his idiotic staff like little Mac but he was in charge and he should have known that the rebellion would cost untold lives. The industrial revolution was coming and soon maintaining slavery would be more costly than labor saving machines and cotton would no longer be king. Lincoln should have compromised, kissed the ass of every drunken southern politician, made promises he knew he couldn't keep and defused the issue before it got out of hand. He could have talked to reasonable men like U.S. Army Lt. Robert E. Lee and he should have preserved the freaking Union before he let it fall apart.

Forum List

Back