Memorial Day vs Veterans Day

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Veterans Day
Celebrated in November, Veterans Day is a federal holiday that is meant to honor everyone who has served in the United States military. It doesn't matter if the veteran served in wartime or saw combat. Anyone who has ever stood somberly, raised his or her right hand, and enlisted in any branch of the U.S. military (while swearing to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic") counts.

The holiday began as a commemoration of the armistice that ended World War I, which is why you'll see that many other nations also celebrate it at the same time--namely the United Kingdom, Canada, and other Commonwealth countries that fought on the Allied side in World War I.

While the U.S. government celebrates Veterans Day as a public holiday, it's treated a bit like a second-tier holiday by many private businesses and employers. In some businesses, employees work on Veterans Day in order to be able to take the Friday after Thanksgiving off.

Also: According to the U.S. government, it's spelled Veterans Day. No apostrophe.

Memorial Day
Celebrated on the last Monday of May, Memorial Day is more somber than Veterans Day: it's to remember of every person who gave his or her life in defense of the nation during its wars.

Memorial Day predates Veterans Day. It was first celebrated in 1868--called Decoration Day at the time--as a day to celebrate and remember Union soldiers who died during the Civil War. Some Southern states still celebrate the separate Confederate Memorial Day, which honored soldiers who fought for the South during the Civil War.

By the end of World War II, however, Decoration Day had unofficially been expanded to honor all those who gave their lives in any war. The name of the holiday was officially changed in 1967.

Memorial Day is also usually considered the unofficial beginning of summer. Personally, I think barbecues, beaches, and ball games are great ways to spend this day. There is no disrespect from celebrating American life: that is part of why so many veterans are willing to risk life and limb to defend our country.

But still, take a moment at least--if not the whole day--and think about why we celebrate. The reason we are all here is because men and women were willing to make the ultimate sacrifice on our behalf.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you to all service members. Those we lost, those who survived, those who retired, those still serving, those who are preparing to serve.

My dad was a WWII veteran who lied about his age to enlist in the Navy in 1943, got out and then came back in when I came along in 1948, except this time in the Army and went to Korea during that war. Was one tough SOB I can tell you. Smoke and drank himself to a heart attack just short of his 47th birthday. That's how they dealt with PTSD back then. Miss you dad.

Last edited:
memorialday.jpg

My dad was a WWII veteran who lied about his age to enlist in the Navy in 1943, got out and then came back in when I came along in 1948, except this time in the Army and went to Korea during that war. Was one tough SOB I can tell you. Smoke and drank himself to a heart attack just short of his 47th birthday. That's how they dealt with PTSD back then. Miss you dad.

So sorry about your dad, ours were very similar, Navy in WWII and Korean Conflict, smoked and became an alcoholic, died from lung cancer in his mid 50's. RIP to your dad and mine.

Also: According to the U.S. government, it's spelled Veterans Day. No apostrophe.

I'm sure I'll be attacked for this but the government is right. A [Veteran's Day] would be in honor of one person since [Veteran's] is possessive singular.

They could however call it [Veterans' Day]. Wonder if there's enough budget for that.

Memorial Day is where we honor those who die while serving the country.

Veterans day is where we honor all who serve/d.

I had a great uncle that died on the battlefield in The Battle of the Bulge carrying an M1 Garand.

I was annoyed at the commercialization of this holiday while the people that lost their lives were forgotten and penned this poem about 15 years ago (I may have posted this before) as a personal reminder of my great uncle's loss. And in remembrance of all that lost their lives fighting for the country.

I Remembered You

They call my name and many more
the time is now at hand
a generation's youthful fire
must rise and make their stand

Prepare yourselves the road is hard
and some will not return
but you're the ones and this your time,
our freedom this to earn

For those you love and those you don't
and all those then between
are threatened now by evil things
as yet though still unseen

A world away the fire burns
with quite a different task
they toil now with equal fire
to rip it from our grasp

We'll show you how and arm you well
and tell you why it's right
but you decide when faced with death
if it's worth the fight

so take the time to look around
to see from whence you came
there is no time to hesitate
when you must play the game

Is all you see and all we are
and all we will be yet
worth the price the few must pay
to satisfy the debt?...

...It's been many years since then
my family's grown and gone,
my grandson never new me
nor my son for very long

America does not look back
quite as much as time goes by
Distant wars on distant shores
her heroes lost to time

But don't be sad should you forget
to honor we who fell
I paid the price I filled the breech
and freedom stands here still

This monument of breathing free
to our living sacrifice
honors me in such a way
as nothing else suffice

But if you do remember me
in silence or in prayer
the wind you feel upon your face
lets you know that I am there

When my time came to make the choice
and pay this freedom's dues
I stepped into eternity
because I remembered you.

Veterans Day
Celebrated in November, Veterans Day is a federal holiday that is meant to honor everyone who has served in the United States military. It doesn't matter if the veteran served in wartime or saw combat. Anyone who has ever stood somberly, raised his or her right hand, and enlisted in any branch of the U.S. military (while swearing to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic") counts.

The holiday began as a commemoration of the armistice that ended World War I, which is why you'll see that many other nations also celebrate it at the same time--namely the United Kingdom, Canada, and other Commonwealth countries that fought on the Allied side in World War I.

While the U.S. government celebrates Veterans Day as a public holiday, it's treated a bit like a second-tier holiday by many private businesses and employers. In some businesses, employees work on Veterans Day in order to be able to take the Friday after Thanksgiving off.

Memorial Day
Celebrated on the last Monday of May, Memorial Day is more somber than Veterans Day: it's to remember of every person who gave his or her life in defense of the nation during its wars.

Memorial Day predates Veterans Day. It was first celebrated in 1868--called Decoration Day at the time--as a day to celebrate and remember Union soldiers who died during the Civil War. Some Southern states still celebrate the separate Confederate Memorial Day, which honored soldiers who fought for the South during the Civil War.

By the end of World War II, however, Decoration Day had unofficially been expanded to honor all those who gave their lives in any war. The name of the holiday was officially changed in 1967.

Memorial Day is also usually considered the unofficial beginning of summer. Personally, I think barbecues, beaches, and ball games are great ways to spend this day. There is no disrespect from celebrating American life: that is part of why so many veterans are willing to risk life and limb to defend our country.

But still, take a moment at least--if not the whole day--and think about why we celebrate. The reason we are all here is because men and women were willing to make the ultimate sacrifice on our behalf.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you to all service members. Those we lost, those who survived, those who retired, those still serving, those who are preparing to serve.
My father is remembered on Memorial Day.

And you guys remember my uncle, my cousin, and me on Veterans Day.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

:D

I'm sure I'll be attacked for this but the government is right. A [Veteran's Day] would be in honor of one person since [Veteran's] is possessive singular.

They could however call it [Veterans' Day]. Wonder if there's enough budget for that.
You moron. It isn't possessive. The day doesn't belong to veterans. It is a day we celebrate VETERANS. Don't put on airs you fucking twit.

Forum List

Back