'member all those bike lanes that were never used

That is why I used the parameter "time rate". You will spend more time on a bicycle without getting killed than in a car. In fact, almost the only way to get killed on a bicycle is to have a collision with a car. A purely bicycle world would have an extremely low fatality rate.

That is why I used the parameter "time rate". You will spend more time on a bicycle without getting killed than in a car. In fact, almost the only way to get killed on a bicycle is to have a collision with a car. A purely bicycle world would have an extremely low fatality rate.
a patently false claim...…..a world without people would also have a very low death rate

It would. And does nothing to show my contention to be false. My point is that the vast majority of bicycle fatalities (and likely serious injuries as well) are caused by collisions with cars.

It would. And does nothing to show my contention to be false. My point is that the vast majority of bicycle fatalities (and likely serious injuries as well) are caused by collisions with cars.
A world without vehicles is unsustainable foolishness.....thus my foolish reply

Why people don't use bicycles is difficult to understand. America may be 'special'. One interesting phenomenon has occurred in Paris, France. An enormous increase has been seen in that city since bike lanes have been augmented and rental 'cycles have become public and widespread.
Marion Morrison is completely correct in pointing out the importance of physical separation of such vehicular traffic.
Bicycles are the post efficient means of human transportation.

I bike. Not for environmental reasons, but for fun, and exercise. It also enables one to enjoy the scenery more than being caged up in a car. It allows more freedom than walking as wheels are a lot more efficient than just legs so you can go farther, faster, and get places.

What I am seeing now in cities is rental of E Bikes that can get people around without pedaling. Many Americans aren't in the kind of physical condition to bicycle. It is pretty sad, but true. People here are FAT in general.
do you take your bike to go shopping/to the hospital/etc??
Americans don't take bikes because it is ridiculous

Actually I do. I have a backpack I wear, and can get about five days to a week of groceries in it. I go to my local library, other stores, get haircuts, just about any errand you do in your car can be done on a bike.

Why is it ridiculous for Americans? I see other people doing it here, and in countries all over the world. I live in the northeast and was on my bike this past Friday to go to the store. You just have to dress properly.

Why people don't use bicycles is difficult to understand. America may be 'special'. One interesting phenomenon has occurred in Paris, France. An enormous increase has been seen in that city since bike lanes have been augmented and rental 'cycles have become public and widespread.
Marion Morrison is completely correct in pointing out the importance of physical separation of such vehicular traffic.
Bicycles are the post efficient means of human transportation.

Try telling that to a parent picking up their kids from school after a busy day at work.

Bicycles at most serve a small portion of the population that live in relatively flat areas with no need to transport goods or other beings.

Try telling that to a parent picking up their kids from school after a busy day at work.

Bicycles at most serve a small portion of the population that live in relatively flat areas with no need to transport goods or other beings.

Read my previous post. Of course, I am not "picking up kids" on my bike. I have a car for stuff like that, but errands, even grocery shopping can be done by bike. I wear a backpack, so can put in groceries, books from the library, or any other items that aren't too, too, bulky. I live in a VERY hilly area. We have things on bikes called GEARS.

Read my previous post. Of course, I am not "picking up kids" on my bike. I have a car for stuff like that, but errands, even grocery shopping can be done by bike. I wear a backpack, so can put in groceries, books from the library, or any other items that aren't too, too, bulky. I live in a VERY hilly area. We have things on bikes called GEARS.

Bully for you. You are perfectly free to ride your bike whenever and wherever you wish to take the risk.

I, for one, am tired of a tiny minority of vocal and bullying bicyclists ruining our streets so that the flow of traffic for cars is impeded. I'll be that more people share my POV than indulge yours.

Actually I do. I have a backpack I wear, and can get about five days to a week of groceries in it. I go to my local library, other stores, get haircuts, just about any errand you do in your car can be done on a bike.

Why is it ridiculous for Americans? I see other people doing it here, and in countries all over the world. I live in the northeast and was on my bike this past Friday to go to the store. You just have to dress properly.
I biked to work and back for over 16 years cold and hot
in my city there are rarely anyone using bikes
...but you can't get much at the store with a backpack = inefficient if you need a lot or have a family to feed
....bikes should not be on the roads:bikes are totally disparate from cars...this is just common sense
....when I do see a biker, I see them during rush hour impeding traffic .....but these same people probably bitch at cars going slow on the highway
no--not about any errand
-can't get a lot of groceries
can't take kids to school-practice-doctor
can't go to the store to get ''big'' items/
can't take the dog to the vet
a lot of the ''errands'' I drove were taking the kids here and there

I live alone, so don't have to pick up kids, or feed a family. I can get to my local super market in 15 minutes, or a bit less on my bike. I can get to most of my other local errands in about the same time. I don't commute to work on the bike (I have a car for that) so I don't ride in rush hour. I can go mostly back roads with little traffic, so I am not competing with cars and trucks. When I do have to go on a main road, it is usually for a very little amount of distance. I never back up traffic, and if I did I would duck into a side road, driveway, or get on the side of the road to let car traffic pass.

If the idea was st00pid, it came from a progressive.

In NYC, we have a progressive major hell bent on making the city a shithole. First thing he did when he got in office was reduce the city speed limit to 25mph and widen bike lanes so they take out huge swaths of the avenues. Jerkoff talking about nailing commuters the a $10 surcharge to all cars entering the city. Full in retard stuff......

Ghey

Speed (travel time), rain, cold, wind, hills. Thus Americans tend not to see enough value in it to suffer those things. We are spoiled, inconsiderate, shortsighted and lazy.

You're a human racist s0n. There is nothing more reprehensible. You people live life in a perpetual state of misery and seek every day to make others just as miserable.

Most people cant take the bike assholes who ride with their pals taking their half of the road out of the middle. Ghey

Speed (travel time), rain, cold, wind, hills. Thus Americans tend not to see enough value in it to suffer those things. We are spoiled, inconsiderate, shortsighted and lazy.
Was there some requirement that everyone bike? I missed that legislation. Please post it.

Most working people don't live very close to where they work...The average American drives 16 miles to work and that number is on the increase.

In Between 2000 and 2012, the number of jobs within the typical commute distance for residents in a major metro area fell by 7 percent.

https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Srvy_JobsProximity.pdf

and from your source, ABC News:

"While the average commute involves 30 minutes in the car each way, many people commute less than a mile to work each day. On the other hand, this number is tempered by "extreme commuters" who must drive more than 100 miles each way to work during the week."

as much as touted by the greenies....being used even less today. Once again you cant count on envirowackos enthusiasm of the moment to save the planet. Now we have thousands of miles of useless bike lanes and no doubt more are mindlessly being added cause go green never taking in to account the softness of younger generations.
Is the bike-lane fever breaking?

They keep the shopping carts off the sidewalks though

as much as touted by the greenies....being used even less today. Once again you cant count on envirowackos enthusiasm of the moment to save the planet. Now we have thousands of miles of useless bike lanes and no doubt more are mindlessly being added cause go green never taking in to account the softness of younger generations.
Is the bike-lane fever breaking?

Oh sure...first we will have electric scooters in the bike lanes...then electric motorcycles...then electric cars...then electric 4WD trucks...then, before you know it there will be Electric Aircraft Carriers! in the bicycle lanes because panzy assed squishy left environmentalists are too afraid of the Hells Angels to buy a Harley!!!

Forum List

Back