'member all those bike lanes that were never used

Manonthestreet

Diamond Member
May 20, 2014
as much as touted by the greenies....being used even less today. Once again you cant count on envirowackos enthusiasm of the moment to save the planet. Now we have thousands of miles of useless bike lanes and no doubt more are mindlessly being added cause go green never taking in to account the softness of younger generations.
Is the bike-lane fever breaking?

as much as touted by the greenies....being used even less today. Once again you cant count on envirowackos enthusiasm of the moment to save the planet. Now we have thousands of miles of useless bike lanes and no doubt more are mindlessly being added cause go green never taking in to account the softness of younger generations.
Is the bike-lane fever breaking?

But all those useless bike lanes made them feel so good...they are all about how things make them feel rather than whether they make any practical sense at all.

???!!!!!
hahahahaha
Ever visit Amsterdam? Any city in China? Japan?
I don't think we can bike across the Pacific or Atlantic
we have bike lanes in our city that are never used
it's very ridiculous
I used to bike to and from work everyday for over 16 years [except in snow/etc ]
I stayed off the busy roads
I hardly ever saw a biker
and I hate bikers on the roads--they endanger everybody
cars and bikes are TOTALLY disparate --so it's STUPID for them to share the road
bikes tiny/hard to see/not fast/no safety requirements-essentials/etc

Any city in China?

I sure have...

3B881BC700000578-0-image-a-9_1482224822698.jpg

OBTW ... that ain't fog.

Why people don't use bicycles is difficult to understand. America may be 'special'. One interesting phenomenon has occurred in Paris, France. An enormous increase has been seen in that city since bike lanes have been augmented and rental 'cycles have become public and widespread.
Marion Morrison is completely correct in pointing out the importance of physical separation of such vehicular traffic.
Bicycles are the post efficient means of human transportation.

Speed (travel time), rain, cold, wind, hills. Thus Americans tend not to see enough value in it to suffer those things. We are spoiled, inconsiderate, shortsighted and lazy.

Why people don't use bicycles is difficult to understand. America may be 'special'. One interesting phenomenon has occurred in Paris, France. An enormous increase has been seen in that city since bike lanes have been augmented and rental 'cycles have become public and widespread.
Marion Morrison is completely correct in pointing out the importance of physical separation of such vehicular traffic.
Bicycles are the post efficient means of human transportation.

I bike. Not for environmental reasons, but for fun, and exercise. It also enables one to enjoy the scenery more than being caged up in a car. It allows more freedom than walking as wheels are a lot more efficient than just legs so you can go farther, faster, and get places.

What I am seeing now in cities is rental of E Bikes that can get people around without pedaling. Many Americans aren't in the kind of physical condition to bicycle. It is pretty sad, but true. People here are FAT in general.

Keep in mind that those rental bicycles are really intended to solve the "Last Mile" problem and depend on the presence of a functional mass transit system. Such systems are NOT universal in American urban areas.

Speed (travel time), rain, cold, wind, hills. Thus Americans tend not to see enough value in it to suffer those things. We are spoiled, inconsiderate, shortsighted and lazy.
Stupid selfish Americans don't want to waste time to save the planet, Great sales pitch
How many know someone first hand who was injured while biking? I know three. For a very minority activity seems not worth risk.

Most cities are spread across 100 to 300 sq. miles of area.
Many have tools and materials to transport.
Working in construction my commutes are anywhere from 5-80 miles one way.
Biking or public transport doesn't cut it.

Don't even get me going on the useless carpool lanes.

I am not a fan of carpool lanes. Higher CAFE mileage standards would be far more effective without the impact on pax-mile capacity.

As to bicycles, your commute is not everyone's commute. Many people do not have far to go to get to work or school or to social stops. Many people cannot afford cars or the fuel and insurance and maintenance costs to run them. Many of us could use the exercise. The time rate of injury or fatalities is much lower for bicycles than automobiles.

Most bike lanes up in Silicon Valley are so full of debris.....flat tires is the norm. Especially for high pressure thin road bike tires. And death traps. Cars dont see you or dont care.

Last edited:
There is also the mix of driving to a convenient distance and place and proceeding from there with a bicycle. There are various options to how things are done now. Typically of Americans, one solution is sought for all situations. Thinking is too much trouble.

There is also the mix of driving to a convenient distance and place and proceeding from there with a bicycle. There are various options to how things are done now. Typically of Americans, one solution is sought for all situations. Thinking is too much trouble.

For pleasure maybe? For work or commute in CA, uh no. Also problem of arriving dirty, sweaty.....no shower in many. Carry work shoes is heavy, dirty. Water shortage.

I am not a fan of carpool lanes. Higher CAFE mileage standards would be far more effective without the impact on pax-mile capacity.

As to bicycles, your commute is not everyone's commute. Many people do not have far to go to get to work or school or to social stops. Many people cannot afford cars or the fuel and insurance and maintenance costs to run them. Many of us could use the exercise. The time rate of injury or fatalities is much lower for bicycles than automobiles.
Actually bicyclists and pedestrians are over represented in the stats

Forum List

Back